Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures


Mounts Kipper

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Casino said:

im just as baffled people cant see what he offers

and when folk say hes dreadful, i wonder why im bothering replying

his best performance of the season was against luton when we was the best mf on the pitch

if thats not good enough, youre in for a life of disappointment

 

his cards will hold him back, thats all

He was outstanding against Luton, but he’s done nothing since

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Cosgrove has scored 6 goals this season, and 21 in the last 4 years. Hardly prolific. If we signed every player who ups his game when he plays us, we'd have hundreds of shit players.

What we need are centre half’s that can handle physicality santos toal and Johnstone have all struggled when it’s been put on them  if we had at least one that could cope with it would help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, woolli said:

Dempsey was captain at Gillingham when we signed him, hes not new to it.

Yes fair enough, not saying he doesn't have some leadership qualities probably more off field than on; Santos has been captain here for years, and nobody appears to think he's captain material so doing the job previously isn't necessarily a major factor.

Just going off what I've seen, on the pitch Dempsey seems very withdrawn vocally.  Yes he leads by example with his tenacity and effort and for me he'd get at least as many games as Sheehan and Tomo, but we need more from a captain.  A vocal leader that the others look upto and maybe fear a bit, and preferably a virtual guaranteed pick (which he isn't currently).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole, yes he can do the odd dribble, but never finishes a game and set the tone on Saturday by backing out of a tackle. 

I know you don't rate him, no problem with a different opinion.  I think he's easily been our best midfielder of the 2nd half of the year.

IMO he'll be higher than L1 next season, I'd be amazed if any of our players are and that's not a dig at them, I just see them as L1 players but Maghoma has that bit extra for me. 

Its irrelevant now, he's not our player and isn't going to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes fair enough, not saying he doesn't have some leadership qualities probably more off field than on; Santos has been captain here for years, and nobody appears to think he's captain material so doing the job previously isn't necessarily a major factor.

Just going off what I've seen, on the pitch Dempsey seems very withdrawn vocally.  Yes he leads by example with his tenacity and effort and for me he'd get at least as many games as Sheehan and Tomo, but we need more from a captain.  A vocal leader that the others look upto and maybe fear a bit, and preferably a virtual guaranteed pick (which he isn't currently).

I would imagine he and a few others are not as vocal as they could or want to be out of respect for the armband and the guy wearing it. 

I think Santos should be relieved of the armband and allowed to concentrate on the football it might do him the world of good and allow someone else in the squad to step up and do the leading.

Not everyone is a born leader 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I know you don't rate him, no problem with a different opinion.  I think he's easily been our best midfielder of the 2nd half of the year.

IMO he'll be higher than L1 next season, I'd be amazed if any of our players are and that's not a dig at them, I just see them as L1 players but Maghoma has that bit extra for me. 

Its irrelevant now, he's not our player and isn't going to be.

You wouldnt want to be in the trenches with him!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I know you don't rate him, no problem with a different opinion.  I think he's easily been our best midfielder of the 2nd half of the year.

IMO he'll be higher than L1 next season, I'd be amazed if any of our players are and that's not a dig at them, I just see them as L1 players but Maghoma has that bit extra for me. 

Its irrelevant now, he's not our player and isn't going to be.

Bit extra.🤣 can’t last an hour and can’t spell tackle, genuinely he’s ok league one at his best very best. Will disappear any higher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Am I straying into conspiracy land here? But I was expecting FV/SB to have released some sort of statement by now after Saturday's debacle.

 

I would imagine there will be lots of discussions going on in the background, first and foremost to see if Evatt is still the man to lead us into next season. The guy looked mentally drained before Saturday's debacle, so I would guess they'll leave him a dew days to ponder on his position rather than make any knee jerk decisions.

With emotions are still running high, its probably for the best that the BOD take a step back to let things simmer down and release a statement later in the week. My gut feeling is that Evatt has already decided to go and the BOD are discussing whether to persuade him to stay or go for a new manager, hence the lack of any announcement from the club. 

I'm sure we will know by the weekend whether he is staying or moving on, any longer will seriously hinder recruitment plans for next season as players will want to know who the manager is before signing.

A bigger concern for the board will be the amount of personal abuse levelled at the players and coaching team, social media can be toxic at times, and whatever his performance Santos and others like him shouldn't have to close their social media accounts due to abuse, as its bullying plain and simple and would you want your family exposed to it as it shows the nasty side of sport

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

What we need are centre half’s that can handle physicality santos toal and Johnstone have all struggled when it’s been put on them  if we had at least one that could cope with it would help 

If you show me a centre half that's capable of mixing it up physically as well as playing football we often expect our defenders to then you'll be showing me a Premier League defender. 

It's the same issue we have with trying to find this holding midfielder that can simultaneously be a destroyer that people want and play the football Evatt wants. They exist, but they're worth millions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Am I straying into conspiracy land here? But I was expecting FV/SB to have released some sort of statement by now after Saturday's debacle.

 

They don't comment on the playing side of things specifically. 

Even though the weekend was shit, I wouldn't expect them to now.

No doubt they will be in talks behind the scenes, and sorting things out.

Thankfully not washing the linen in public.

We'll hear in due course what is happening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Am I straying into conspiracy land here? But I was expecting FV/SB to have released some sort of statement by now after Saturday's debacle.

 

I don't want to hear another word now till August. Leave the self pity and apologies at Wembley.

They need to all fuck off and have a break somewhere then come back get shit sorted. 

Recruitment, methodology and see who's singing from what hymn sheet.

It's not a time to panic and start throwing the toys about but we certainly cannot sleepwalk in to another season of running at 70%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not suggesting they hang anyone out to dry, but a thanks for your support, sorry for the disappointment and we'll double our efforts next year yada yada yada.

More than happy to wax lyrical to MPs about her crusade?? Yet nothing for 30k+ fans completely let down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I'm not suggesting they hang anyone out to dry, but a thanks for your support, sorry for the disappointment and we'll double our efforts next year yada yada yada.

More than happy to wax lyrical to MPs about her crusade?? Yet nothing for 30k+ fans completely let down.

I'd imagine there's a lot of reflecting and thinking to do before any significant statements are made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, cumbrian white said:

I would imagine there will be lots of discussions going on in the background, first and foremost to see if Evatt is still the man to lead us into next season. 

I imagine this is the likeliest scenario.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I'm not suggesting they hang anyone out to dry, but a thanks for your support, sorry for the disappointment and we'll double our efforts next year yada yada yada.

More than happy to wax lyrical to MPs about her crusade?? Yet nothing for 30k+ fans completely let down.

Utterly stupid comment. 

Her "crusade" is to the benefit of us and indeed all clubs in the football league.

Not difficult to understand. 

You say you're  not wanting them to hang anyone out to dry, but seemingly want to do that to her yourself.

We will hear in due course, but it will not be specifically aimed at the playing side, more a general comment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, cumbrian white said:


A bigger concern for the board will be the amount of personal abuse levelled at the players and coaching team, social media can be toxic at times, and whatever his performance Santos and others like him shouldn't have to close their social media accounts due to abuse, as its bullying plain and simple and would you want your family exposed to it as it shows the nasty side of sport

 

couldn't agree more.

As fans, we moan about lack of loyalty from players / managers, but in fairness they get fcuk all from us unless they're playing like Maradona week in week out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
38 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'd imagine there's a lot of reflecting and thinking to do before any significant statements are made.

I agree, but think decisions - whatever decisions they are - need to be taken quickly

We can't afford to be in limbo for too long

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I agree, but think decisions - whatever decisions they are - need to be taken quickly

We can't afford to be in limbo for too long

I don't feel we are "in limbo" really. Think there's been a massive (but understandable) over-reaction to Saturday. It was fucking horrendous, but overall our season wasn't anywhere near as bad as is being made out. You'd think we'd been relegated the way people are talking at the moment. I totally get it and can't help feeling the same, but it's probably wise to let the dust settle before any big decisions are made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
20 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't feel we are "in limbo" really. Think there's been a massive (but understandable) over-reaction to Saturday. It was fucking horrendous, but overall our season wasn't anywhere near as bad as is being made out. You'd think we'd been relegated the way people are talking at the moment. I totally get it and can't help feeling the same, but it's probably wise to let the dust settle before any big decisions are made.

I think it's probably fair to describe us as being in limbo until we at least have clarification as to whether Evatt intends to continue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 hour ago, meanderson93 said:

If you show me a centre half that's capable of mixing it up physically as well as playing football we often expect our defenders to then you'll be showing me a Premier League defender. 

It's the same issue we have with trying to find this holding midfielder that can simultaneously be a destroyer that people want and play the football Evatt wants. They exist, but they're worth millions. 

I don't expect Cacideo, Kante or Muamba

someone who can help protect Sheehan and Maghoma and allow them to do their thing so we can do our things

and be a leader on the pitch when required

a Karl Henry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, wakey said:

couldn't agree more.

As fans, we moan about lack of loyalty from players / managers, but in fairness they get fcuk all from us unless they're playing like Maradona week in week out. 

Maradona probably showed more movement on Saturday tbf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don't expect Cacideo, Kante or Muamba

someone who can help protect Sheehan and Maghoma and allow them to do their thing so we can do our things

and be a leader on the pitch when required

a Karl Henry

Like that Brannagan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.