Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fanzine -World wide wanderers

Krimzon

Hi , 

I may have posted something about this similar years ago .  Im trying to track the timeline of BWFC Fanzines and at the same time trying complete a collection .... any extra knowledge would be appreciated , and I know that at least one ex fanzine editor did/does post on here .......... 

Chronologically :

As I understand it the first Bolton fanzine was called the World Wide Wanderers  Ways , from which this website took its name. I have no idea how many issues were made or even what time frame.

Then I believe :

Now we want pele ...a short lived fanzine , named after a board member who wanted Pele as our next manager as we slipped further into the 80's mire . at least 7 issues of which I have 3 .

Normid Nomad : started as an A4 fanzine , then became programme sized , I have the first 3 , no idea how many it ran for but think it morphed into :

White Love : I have most copies including signed by supa John and Frankie  maybe ran for 40+ issues Glossy cover  , Im definitely missing a few.

Tripe 'N' Trotters : I think was the longest running one : 50 + issues , paper cover , again I have most issues but am missing some .

Any info would be appreciated  , time lines , issue run etc.

apologies if this is in the wrong section . 

I had the first one as Wanderers Worldwide.  No 'Ways' in there.  Ran from about 1985 to 1987?

Normid Nomad was a good fanzine and of its time but only ran for about a season.  1990/91 ish?

White Love was later called C'mon feel the Wanderers.  I think it was the last WL in May 1992 that they called the 'Stoke issue' and sold out to their fans who brought about 5000 over for a potential promotion game for them.  There was some talk of a legal dispute with Rags fans but i never heard any more about that. 

There was a 1 issue one (& no wonder) White Army - that wasn't in the same league as the others but probably made a couple of students a few quid.

T&T was fairly good and was the last regular.  Moving to the Reebok put paid to that due to the selling restrictions the club imposed on their land.

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

White Love was later called C'mon feel the Wanderers.  I think it was the last WL in May 1992 that they called the 'Stoke issue' and sold out to their fans who brought about 5000 over for a potential promotion game for them.  There was some talk of a legal dispute with Rags fans but i never heard any more about that. 

I had a White Love special edition from summer 1997 I think

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, waddy256 said:

Hi , 

I may have posted something about this similar years ago .  Im trying to track the timeline of BWFC Fanzines and at the same time trying complete a collection .... any extra knowledge would be appreciated , and I know that at least one ex fanzine editor did/does post on here .......... 

Chronologically :

As I understand it the first Bolton fanzine was called the World Wide Wanderers  Ways , from which this website took its name. I have no idea how many issues were made or even what time frame.

Then I believe :

Now we want pele ...a short lived fanzine , named after a board member who wanted Pele as our next manager as we slipped further into the 80's mire . at least 7 issues of which I have 3 .

Normid Nomad : started as an A4 fanzine , then became programme sized , I have the first 3 , no idea how many it ran for but think it morphed into :

White Love : I have most copies including signed by supa John and Frankie  maybe ran for 40+ issues Glossy cover  , Im definitely missing a few.

Tripe 'N' Trotters : I think was the longest running one : 50 + issues , paper cover , again I have most issues but am missing some .

Wasn’t there one called Come on Feel the Wanderers (or similar, named after a Lemonheads album iirc)?

11 hours ago, waddy256 said:

Hi , 

Chronologically :

Then I believe :

After a rummage, i've found.....Wanderers Worldwide, most of 1 -23 ( no 1 was 17-6-85) & then most of 1-16 from the 86 -87 season

Normid Nomad, vol 2, 2,3,4, & 5

Pele, 4 & 7

Tripe & Trotters 13,14 &18

Here we go again, Sept, Oct, 14,15 &17

One called " The Last To Leave The Bridgers" which I think was ( unsurprisingly ) a one off. 

White Love, most of 3-32.

They're in a "been in a bag in the attic for over 20 years " condition, but you're welcome to any that complete your collections.

When fanzines came out it was huge game changer.  For the first time, we could read Wanderers stuff that wasn't just the BEN or the (staid) match programme.  It felt like we had a bit of a voice, fans were telling it how it was.  The first one, Wanderers Worldwide was very basic but I loved it.  Tripe and Trotters and White Love etc took it to another level.  I enjoyed the fanzine phenomenon enough to buy a few of other clubs, like Bradford's superb City Gent and Stoke's Oatcake, I remember buying Wise Men Say from a Sunderland fan on the Burnden forecourt.  Great pre-internet days.

Need to go rummaging down in my cellar. See what I’ve still got.

From my recollection…..

Wanderers Worldwide - A5, black and white, photocopied, a lot of reading.

Normid Nomad - A4, black and white, printed, more cartoons & images in comparison to WW.

Now We Want Pele - can’t remember too much about it, think it had a yellow cover, black in, content - no idea.

Here We Go Again - A5, started black and white, moved into 2 colour covers, mixture of good articles, cartoons, piss-takes, contravery, etc. Ran for 18 issues.

Come On Feel The Wanderers - A5, 2 colour cover, similar to HWGA in content.

Tripe ‘n’ Trotters - A5, single colour - a bit more serious than COFTW, ran for quite some time.

White Love - A5, full colour cover, similar to HWGA & COFTW content (produced by same team).

The birth of the internet, Chatrooms, forums, etc, made the life of the fanzine so much harder. Content would forever be out of date by the time it got printed and on sale.

There was one A4 version of either COFTW or White Love - can’t remember which.

14 hours ago, Smiley said:

Need to go rummaging down in my cellar. See what I’ve still got.

From my recollection…..

Wanderers Worldwide - A5, black and white, photocopied, a lot of reading.

Normid Nomad - A4, black and white, printed, more cartoons & images in comparison to WW.

Now We Want Pele - can’t remember too much about it, think it had a yellow cover, black in, content - no idea.

Here We Go Again - A5, started black and white, moved into 2 colour covers, mixture of good articles, cartoons, piss-takes, contravery, etc. Ran for 18 issues.

Come On Feel The Wanderers - A5, 2 colour cover, similar to HWGA in content.

Tripe ‘n’ Trotters - A5, single colour - a bit more serious than COFTW, ran for quite some time.

White Love - A5, full colour cover, similar to HWGA & COFTW content (produced by same team).

The birth of the internet, Chatrooms, forums, etc, made the life of the fanzine so much harder. Content would forever be out of date by the time it got printed and on sale.

There was one A4 version of either COFTW or White Love - can’t remember which.

The A4 was COFTW. It had Mcginlay scoring against Arsenal in the cup on the front.

On 14/12/2021 at 15:48, Spider said:

I’d buy White Love if it was still going. Fckin loved that fanzine.

Aye, I used go straight to the ugly in the good, the bad and the ugly. They where plenty of bad and ugly.😁

Any pdf's Smiley.

On 14/12/2021 at 19:35, bolton va va said:

After a rummage, i've found.....Wanderers Worldwide, most of 1 -23 ( no 1 was 17-6-85) & then most of 1-16 from the 86 -87 season

Normid Nomad, vol 2, 2,3,4, & 5

Pele, 4 & 7

Tripe & Trotters 13,14 &18

Here we go again, Sept, Oct, 14,15 &17

One called " The Last To Leave The Bridgers" which I think was ( unsurprisingly ) a one off. 

White Love, most of 3-32.

They're in a "been in a bag in the attic for over 20 years " condition, but you're welcome to any that complete your collections.

Definitely , pm me and ill give you my address and send me your paypal account or ill just come collect. Many thanks.