Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hartlepool a

radcliffe white

• Members
4 minutes ago, briannz said:

One of my biggest complaints is that we don’t appear to be able to tackle and win 50-50 balls,or even 60-40 in our favour,I’m sure if we played a womens team we would lose all 50-50 tackles we are too delicate.

Not so much the tackling but winning the second balls

• Site Supporter

A lot more pissed off than I should be, probably cause I’ve travelled all that way in hope and expectation. And the romantic in me believed we were Wembley bound.

Putting the actual performance, mistakes, tactics, injuries, Covid etc etc to one side. I think the thing that’s pissing me off the most is we have lost the feel good factor.

As people have alluded to post Wigan/Plymouth it’s faded away.

Im not saying it’s gone, never to be recovered, but it’s so hard to shift the ship back against the tide. There’s been the odd positive glimpse, but nothing sustained.

And by Christ we have idiots there at the game and on social media who seem to revel in the negativity, they’re almost frothing at the mouth to criticise louder, be more abusive, be more animated, as if they are gaining kudos from it. Yes Dixon made a horror mistake, but how is calling him a fucking cunt and get back to Barrow going to help anybody? 

And that really pisses me off, probably more than anything the players or manager is doing.

Not that I am excusing them from that tonight, not good enough. Midfield didn’t show and move the ball quick enough (apart from Thomason). MJ (perhaps understandably) was way off the pace and Delf (another who was targeted for abuse) is trying, but with little output of the needed quality.

We’ll get better, I’m sure of that. Fitter, more players back from injury and new  recruits will move us in the right direction. We made a poor start in January last year too, so no need to overract. There I’ve finished on a positive 😊 

• Site Supporter

Just warming up now. By fuck, it was cold.

At the end of the game the supporters booed, as you’d expect. Dixon didn’t try to hide. He had the good grace to turn round to the baying masses and hold his hands up in a “Sorry folks, I proper fucked that up!”

He got dog’s abuse by some. “Fuck of Dixon, you shit cunt!” was amongst the comments shouted.

Sorry, but that isn’t acceptable. It’s a game of football for fuck’s sake. As a team, if the rest of the team had spent the previous 80 minutes doing their bit and had us leading by about 4 goal, Dixon’s fuck up wouldn’t have mattered a jot. Blame the defensive four for continually passing to each other without even looking for a penetrative pass. Blame the midfield for thinking they’re better than they actually are and continually making the wrong decision in front of goal. Passing when a shot is on and shooting when it needed to be passed. Blame the forwards for not realising the bit to aim for is surrounded by fucking big white poles with a net attached. This isn’t Aussie Rules or Gaelic Football where points are awarded for both sides of the posts.

The keepers calamitous fuck up really shouldn’t have mattered.

Ok, I've got an impending thing innit, but that's me drive for a while. Nothing against the team, how they play, yada yada yada... I hold my hands up and about to bring a dickhead at football. It's not big and it's (sometimes) not clever. Some little prick thinks it's ok to scream dogs abuse at Dixon, cos he's fed up; and as someone who goes every week is entitled to do so. 

Ah fuck it

This loyal customer got home around 11.30pm.
Heater on full belt all the way trying to thaw us out.

First half, we bossed the game but missed a string of chances.
Second half, we just never got going and regressed deeper and deeper as the half went on.

Yeah, Dixon made the mistake, but the longer the game went on, it was inevitable that one of the back five was going to fuck up, Santos, Johnston and John had all already played Dixon into trouble.

We seem very reluctant to shoot, whether it's a confidence thing, being afraid of missing or whatever, i don't know. Even when they scored, we lacked urgency going forward. Even the crowd were singing "Sideways and backwards, everywhere we go".

Just read a few comments on social media suggesting that this is the worst it’s ever been here. I’d imagine most if not all of those commenting weren’t there tonight (I wasn’t there either) but it goes to show that some people have short memories. Before FV took over this club was a fucking depressing place, and the last 18 months in particular have felt like we’ve got our little old club back. 

We’re going through a tough run, all clubs do. We’ve already recruited this month and I don’t doubt that there’ll be more coming in and others going out in order to improve this club, the manager proved last January that with the right additions, the course of a season can change dramatically. 

Play-off’s look unlikely, but I’d be chuffed to finish anywhere near mid-table and I think most realistic-minded folk like me would’ve taken that at the start of the season. 

No point being negative is there, or else it bloody well eats you up. IESWA

Play-offs? No chance
Relegated? Unlikely.
Evatt Out? More chance of a top 3 finish.

IE's a strange character, but he's still well in credit. 
Few more bodies into the club, few missing players back and we'll be just fine.

There was a strong possibility that the run we are on was going to happen, after the injuries we had( to arguably 3 of the main players to the system that we play), our wafer thin squad and lack of quality within it has been there for all to see. IE gets more time for me, this week is the first time in years we have spent any money on a player. Think he deserves the next two transfer windows to add more quality.

5 hours ago, Traf said:

Play-offs? No chance
Relegated? Unlikely.
Evatt Out? More chance of a top 3 finish.

IE's a strange character, but he's still well in credit. 
Few more bodies into the club, few missing players back and we'll be just fine.

All correct.

Yet another awful away performance without scoring a goal and the inevitable conclusion.

9 away defeats from 10 in all comps with 2 of those defeats against lower league/non-league opposition. 

Failed to score in 7 of those games too. 

These are shambolic, embarrassing stats, whichever way you choose to interpret them. It’s time for the excuses to stop. 

I have said it before and will again, there is something wrong at the club. How else can it go so badly wrong, from a really promising, energetic and exciting start? 

I’m not having covid and injuries as a reason neither. This run started before either. 

We have won 2 league since Shrewsbury in early October, both at home to relegation fodder. We went 7th after that win and we are now just 4 points above the drop. 

We need to win one of these next two home games to steady the ship, because we are then away again. 

If Evatts team played anywhere near as well as he talks we would be top of the league. Talk is cheap and it’s really time for action. 

On a positive note, the new kid with the mop clearly has energy, desire and battling qualities.

Edited by captainmed

8 hours ago, MickyD said:

The keepers calamitous fuck up really shouldn’t have mattered.

I was beginning to form the opinion that Dixon was showing promise, we all know it takes a season to properly bed in a new goalie but now it remains to be seen, it all depends how he bounces back. After the first half I totally agree with MickyD that a goal keeping howler should not have mattered and the back 5 were asking for trouble particularly in the second half. 

I've just watched the official highlights and something the commentator said has prompted me to post, he referred to Hartlepool's spirited play and even effervescence, something we are lacking at present and play in a rigid manner, if IE tells us his players need to be able run then why do they stand making square passes?

We seem to be incapable of learning from our mistakes, we all say "move on" which is correct but we must look back and learn also.

We are in a massive rut at the moment the players have no or little confidence. Extra touches slow the game down, refusal to shoot, trying to do too much (Dapo especially), passes are very safe which means a yard behind player rather than in front so for all the passing we go nowhere. 

The set pieces are the biggest frustration we just do not look like creating anything, we kept trying clever little moves that always went nowhere. I do think Evatt is 'too clever' at times. 

The abuse Dixon got at the end last night when he was clearly apologising for his fuck up was not needed. 

25 minutes ago, marple whites said:

They had made 8 changes from the side that had drawn 0-0 with Oldham at the weekend. 😡

We got talking to a couple of their fans after the game last night. 

They jokingly said that their reserves beat our reserves.

They were surprised when I said that was our first team out there.

Embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, captainmed said:

Yet another awful away performance without scoring a goal and the inevitable conclusion.

9 away defeats from 10 in all comps with 2 of those defeats against lower league/non-league opposition. 

Failed to score in 7 of those games too. 

These are shambolic, embarrassing stats, whichever way you choose to interpret them. It’s time for the excuses to stop. 

I have said it before and will again, there is something wrong at the club. How else can it go so badly wrong, from a really promising, energetic and exciting start? 

I’m not having covid and injuries as a reason neither. This run started before either. 

We have won 2 league since Shrewsbury in early October, both at home to relegation fodder. We went 7th after that win and we are now just 4 points above the drop. 

We need to win one of these next two home games to steady the ship, because we are then away again. 

If Evatts team played anywhere near as well as he talks we would be top of the league. Talk is cheap and it’s really time for action. 

On a positive note, the new kid with the mop clearly has energy, desire and battling qualities.

In the old days the manager would be "summoned" by the chairman the morning after and read the riot act. He would probably have to commit to a number of points he had to get from the next half a dozen fixtures. Then he would be sent scuttling back to the training ground while the chairman stares out of the window.

I don't think that sort of thing happens anymore..

dixon is an awful keeper hes up there with kevin rose for me , the defence have absolutely no confidence in him, after his howler last night he came charging 30 yards to clear an ball which santos eventually cleared, he clearly doesnt communicate with his defenders,if iam correct rotherhams 1st goal was a header which went straight over his head .which gilks previously did lst season, gilks isnt the answer unfortunately, this is also forcing mj williams further back leaving often picking the ball up behind the centre halfs,leaving our midfielder even weaker and out run most week.

for me the 1st priority is a dominant goalkeeper,

• Members
10 hours ago, Moonguest said:

No it won’t. Not one of this squad will be here when the team is promoted from League One.

So you either think we aren’t getting out of league one anytime soon or you think we’re going to have a full turnover of 23 players, either way I reckon you’re talking out of your turd cutter 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Call me a shit fan, but I'm glad we're out of it. Absolute joke of a cup with the reserve teams being involved. Won't be long until they're trying to put the likes of City reserves in League one and two. 

Would like to have given it a shot and got a day at Wembley, though in truth I'd rather get knocked out now than get by bummed by Wigan again