Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hartlepool a

radcliffe white

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, fester58 said:

dixon is an awful keeper hes up there with kevin rose for me , the defence have absolutely no confidence in him, after his howler last night he came charging 30 yards to clear an ball which santos eventually cleared, he clearly doesnt communicate with his defenders,if iam correct rotherhams 1st goal was a header which went straight over his head .which gilks previously did lst season, gilks isnt the answer unfortunately, this is also forcing mj williams further back leaving often picking the ball up behind the centre halfs,leaving our midfielder even weaker and out run most week.

for me the 1st priority is a dominant goalkeeper,

For someone they have "no confidence in" they fucking pass to him often enough.

The type of football IE wants then we need a goalkeeper who’s good at playing it about and comfortable on the ball, for me he’s done ok in that department (apart from last night) but if we’re to play that way the defenders also need to be tuned in as we have seen on many occasions short pass backs and not making the correct angle for the goalkeeper creates unnecessary pressure

• Members
8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Don't think Dixon is a bad keeper, but he lacks communication. Can we not get Gilks to stand behind our goal and scream his head off?

I quite rate him,  good with his feet, great at taking crosses , shot stopping he needs to find his voice one bad mistake doesn’t make a bad keeper 

4 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

The type of football IE wants then we need a goalkeeper who’s good at playing it about and comfortable on the ball, for me he’s done ok in that department (apart from last night) but if we’re to play that way the defenders also need to be tuned in as we have seen on many occasions short pass backs and not making the correct angle for the goalkeeper creates unnecessary pressure

Fuck me does Santos not know what angles are the amount of times he would go square on for a pass, puts the keeper under so much pressure 

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I quite rate him,  good with his feet, great at taking crosses , shot stopping he needs to find his voice one bad mistake doesn’t make a bad keeper 

Fuck me does Santos not know what angles are the amount of times he would go square on for a pass, puts the keeper under so much pressure 

I raised that observation months back there’s no consistency about him at times he looks composed as fuck then others like he’s got a mistake waiting to happen 

• Members
5 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I raised that observation months back there’s no consistency about him at times he looks composed as fuck then others like he’s got a mistake waiting to happen 

It’s basics , positioning and communication. Think he would benefit next to a older pro who’s played at a higher level, I know it’s L2 but Baptiste next to him helped him so much. Baptiste isn’t the solution but another pro could be think @Mounts Kipper said it a while back 

34 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Don't think Dixon is a bad keeper, but he lacks communication. Can we not get Gilks to stand behind our goal and scream his head off?

I've had the same thought myself including playing Gilks in defence and him standing next to him! (not serious folks).

Dixon had a really good game at Rovveram, trouble is when goalies make mistakes they really stand out

Your right something is wrong and needs to be put right soon.

whatever the Wrong is has been going on for 15 years.

Half time at Anfield on NYD 2007 to be precise.

Ever since nothing about BWFC has seemed positive, its all make do and except 2nd best and be greatful.

My old fella used to chuckle at me getting bothered about it even in the 70s , "if thas gonna follow this lot thas best get used tert disappointment kidda."  Never a truer word.

Heard a hartlepool fan outside say that's the best they've played all season which seemed a pretty depressing thought. was pretty poor although we were best team first half and with a bit more cutting edge could have scored.. second half not as great and the goal is best forgotten 

5 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Ever since nothing about BWFC has seemed positive, its all make do and except 2nd best and be greatful.

My old fella used to chuckle at me getting bothered about it even in the 70s , "if thas gonna follow this lot thas best get used tert disappointment kidda."  Never a truer word.

I like that and I think I follow the same principals.  I try and look at what I get from following Bolton and rather than what I don’t get. 

It’s probable that I’ll never see the team winning any of the major trophies so I see that as validation that I’m not a glory hunter as I could quite easily affiliate myself to a glory club. Fuck that I love my Bolton, warts and all.

• Site Supporter

Fairly late on Gordon replaced John. In the ten minutes he got he showed more for the ball than John had done in the previous 85 minutes. Gordon was stood without any Hartlepool players on the left touchline and I don’t recall him being passed to. Our other defenders were too busy playing tippy-tap to each other to even notice the acres of space he was in. 

You know what has been continually said about the tippy-tap eventually going somewhere? Well maybe they could do some work in training on how to get from keeper to centre forward in less that four passes. It certainly worked a few times for Hartlepool.

13 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

More than 15yrs... I've always thought of us as a "nearly" club, said to the missus last night "we've become a nearly club again" and she nodded.

There's always been a casual, almost laziness, about about BWFC

• Site Supporter

I doubt there’s above half a dozen people at the club who were there 15 years ago and four of them will be stewards.I’m not sure anything happening at half time at Anfield in 2007 can have any bearing on now.

2 minutes ago, Dimron said:

More than 15yrs... I've always thought of us as a "nearly" club, said to the missus last night "we've become a nearly club again" and she nodded.

Exactly.

Come to think of it there are a few Nearly Clubs around.

Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Derby County, West Brom to name a couple.

10 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I’m my lifetime 3 managers sorted this issue, Greaves, Sam & Rioch, we need a manager made out of this mould once again.

I Hope Evatt steps up to the mark however I’ve now got few doubts creeping in, the aforementioned managers had previously served years apprenticeship and that’s what Evatt lacks, have we the time for him to serve his apprenticeship and reap the benefits, not sure, currently we are at the Phil Neal stage of management development with Evatt, could be the right man at the wrong time in his career. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m my lifetime 3 managers sorted this issue, Greaves, Sam & Rioch, we need a manager made out of this mould once again.

I Hope Evatt steps up to the mark however I’ve now got few doubts creeping in, the aforementioned managers had previously served years apprenticeship and that’s what Evatt lacks, have we the time for him to serve his apprenticeship and reap the benefits, not sure, currently we are at the Phil Neal stage of management development with Evatt, could be the right man at the wrong time in his career. 

He started in non league and he is still learning on the job. FV clearly know this is a project and they want him at the head of it. I’d imagine they expect him to make mistakes and learn from them and that’s already been done and will continue to do so. 

If when IE took over he said he’ll get us promoted and then we will have a mid table finish in league one we would have snapped his hand off. 

We can all be critical of what happens on the pitch but as fans sometimes we need a bit of perspective and patience.

But that it their only silverware ever, they nearly won the F A cup, they nearly won the europa League cup.

They nearly stayed up a few times, they have nearly made the playoffs a few times, they have nearly managed to keep hold of a few decent players, they have nearly had thier hopes raised to the point where they even beloved they were a big club. Oh, so nearly.

So nearly.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

So you either think we aren’t getting out of league one anytime soon or you think we’re going to have a full turnover of 23 players, either way I reckon you’re talking out of your turd cutter 

Well, it's been an eye opener recently, and he may well be right.

Baring another miracle, we're not going up this season. After initial optimism, it seems from general opinion here that none of the players are great for league one, let alone the championship. 

For me, we have some who may well play higher, but things need to improve quickly or they may be picked off.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Well, it's been an eye opener recently, and he may well be right.

Baring another miracle, we're not going up this season. After initial optimism, it seems from general opinion here that none of the players are great for league one, let alone the championship. 

For me, we have some who may well play higher, but things need to improve quickly or they may be picked off.

I think anyone predicting promotion at the beginning of the season was doing it with their heart, if not they’re were doing with an half empty head and probably the ones who are throwing their toys out of the pram that we aren’t top of the league.

We’ll finish midtable which will be a good first season after promotion. 

We had a great start probably over performed now we’ve got injuries and covid to a small squad . New players coming in hopefully injured players coming back mid table finish I’d be happy with that . It’s a work in progress we have no divine right to go straight through league 1 bit of patience required