Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

White carrot

stevieb

On 24/12/2021 at 19:28, gonzo said:

Santos talking like one of them big dick heads on arsenal tv.

Fuck off fam.

Grow some balls ya big daft shit house.

After the Gethin Jones doo ...back in the hotel he was walking down the stairs to the bar in front of the rest of the team and in a very loud voice said "......talk shit , get decked..."   Then saw the bar was half full with fans who had paid to stay over night and became the nicest guys ever , like he suddenly realised where he was.
He is a big guy know doubt , but David Wheater was there and was fawned over by fans and players alike  and quite rightly so , but was the quietest guy in the room .

Got me reminiscing/thinking .....skill over steel ...... and something Rioch & Todd used to say ....
you have to win the battles to earn the right to play football .

We are a soft team no doubt , but I still think we are the best footballing team in the division , however the last time we were the best footballing team in the division we had :

Chris Fairclough, Gerry Taggart, Jamie Pollock , Alan Thomson , John Sheridan , Nathan Blake , John McGinlay  et al 

Try bullying that team ...theyd sprint a 100 yards just to knock the face off your head... THEN theyd football you to death ......

Maybe we/I live in the past but I hate seeing us bullied , out fought  to the point Im regailing stories of players I never saw ....Edwards Hennin Higgins Banks etc , the most feared defensive line ever known to man ...

OMG Im turning into my dad !

4 hours ago, waddy256 said:

After the Gethin Jones doo ...back in the hotel he was walking down the stairs to the bar in front of the rest of the team and in a very loud voice said "......talk shit , get decked..."   Then saw the bar was half full with fans who had paid to stay over night and became the nicest guys ever , like he suddenly realised where he was.
He is a big guy know doubt , but David Wheater was there and was fawned over by fans and players alike  and quite rightly so , but was the quietest guy in the room .

Got me reminiscing/thinking .....skill over steel ...... and something Rioch & Todd used to say ....

We are a soft team no doubt , but I still think we are the best footballing team in the division , however the last time we were the best footballing team in the division we had :

Chris Fairclough, Gerry Taggart, Jamie Pollock , Alan Thomson , John Sheridan , Nathan Blake , John McGinlay  et al 

Try bullying that team ...theyd sprint a 100 yards just to knock the face off your head... THEN theyd football you to death ......

Maybe we/I live in the past but I hate seeing us bullied , out fought  to the point Im regailing stories of players I never saw ....Edwards Hennin Higgins Banks etc , the most feared defensive line ever known to man ...

Good post, not a lot to argue with there.

Yes our current crop are mardarses - they can play a bit when they’re given time, but we’ve been sussed out by other teams managers now -“Get stuck into Bolton, close them down and they won’t want to know”

17 hours ago, waddy256 said:

I know you put etc but you have to add Hartle by name!  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Seems a common belief amongst some fans of other clubs that Fairclough was the last man you wanted to end up face to face with when the handbags went down.

And as Mounts said minus a million points to me for not saying Roy Hartle by name.

Stig Tofting , what a life he lived/is living , someone should right a book about that. 

And as psychos go Chic Charnley must be up there , went to the rigs after football and got dun for chasing someone off with a chainsaw IIRC.

4 minutes ago, waddy256 said:

Seems a common belief amongst some fans of other clubs that Fairclough was the last man you wanted to end up face to face with when the handbags went down.

And as Mounts said minus a million points to me for not saying Roy Hartle by name.

Stig Tofting , what a life he lived/is living , someone should right a book about that. 

And as psychos go Chic Charnley must be up there , went to the rigs after football and got dun for chasing someone off with a chainsaw IIRC.

While not a physco one I’d put in the hard as nails category is Gudni Bergsson, strong as an ox and chiselled out of granite, what a player, very few got the better of him in a battle even though he wasn’t big for a centre half, one of my all time favourites. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Add Fish and Taggart to the list of hard centre halves

Mark Fish who carried a gun to primary school ??

Sure there was a story where he was asked how he would cope playing in a local derby against man U or rovers and his reply was along the lines of growing up playing football with apartheid in SA , there would be 11000 zulu warriors armed to the teeth 3 feet from the touchline......"so I think Ill be fine !"