Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

How The Hell Did These Teams Beat Us At Home ?

leigh white

17 minutes ago, victor meldrew said:

york game did it for me as a 12 ,year old.

pitch was muddy as f..k, they shot ,ball got stuck in the mud. all the players stopped looking at the ball, waiting for the ref to decide if it had crossed the line or not.

never happen these days.

You say that, then Plymouth's third goal happened...

9 hours ago, leigh white said:

Some memorable kick offs that season on the Manchester Rd.

Was only 11/12 so bit young to head into town those days, used to get the 42 bus or sometimes just walk back home to save the few pence, quite often saw coaches bricked further up manchester road just before St. Peter’s way as there was, possibly still is an underground tunnel that takes you under St. Peter’s way which was a quick escape for the lads chucking the bricks… different times back then. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

13 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Two seasons running we blew it, despite being the league's best team. Somehow kept much of the squad together & finally made it ... for just 2 seasons and we were broke, letting players go and on a slide. But those good years ... my, they were fun.

Absolutely fantastic era, the last decade of 30/40/50k attendances our crowds & support were on a different scale to anything witnessed since, 10/15 and nearly 20k away followings, immense times and I’ve never ever forgot the massiveness of our support, the feel of anticipation all week, arriving 3 hours before kick off I was so excited, if I could just bottle that buzz. Magical times. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Absolutely fantastic era, the last decade of 30/40/50k attendances our crowds & support were on a different scale to anything witnessed since, 10/15 and nearly 20k away followings, immense times and I’ve never ever forgot the massiveness of our support, the feel of anticipation all week, arriving 3 hours before kick off I was so excited, if I could just bottle that buzz. Magical times. 

The big away followings were reserved for FA Cup games. Twice at Huddersfield; one v Huddersfield and one v Emley. Both great followings. DMBs away was a decent crowd as was Everton in semi-final of League Cup. Great times to follow the whites.

We hit town after the final match of the season 0-1 loss to Wolves. Very morose & pissed in the Anchor as the players & coaches came in. Mostly legless.

I will never forget Ian Greaves slurring the words, referring to Sammy Chung, the Wolves manager ... "... an' 'e came up t'me ... an' y'know wha' 'e sed ?! 

'e shook mi 'and, an' sed "Bad luck. You'll do it next season". NEXT FCKG SEASON !! I told 'im to fck off. Fckg yellow cunt !".

40 minutes ago, MickyD said:

The big away followings were reserved for FA Cup games. Twice at Huddersfield; one v Huddersfield and one v Emley. Both great followings. DMBs away was a decent crowd as was Everton in semi-final of League Cup. Great times to follow the whites.

Massive following at Derby for the 1/4 final and FA cup replay at Elland Road, Emley game was much later era, didn’t compare to the following we took in 76. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Massive following at Derby for the 1/4 final and FA cup replay at Elland Road, Emley game was much later era, didn’t compare to the following we took in 76. 

Went to Derby. Set off to Elland Road but didn’t get there. 

The Huddersfield game in 76, I recall we had a full side and one end. Did we outnumber the home crowd?

15 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Went to Derby. Set off to Elland Road but didn’t get there. 

The Huddersfield game in 76, I recall we had a full side and one end. Did we outnumber the home crowd?

Same, we had the big terrace and think we had behind one goal, definitely outnumbered them from memory there was about 28k on and about 15k from Bolton. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Twice at Huddersfield; one v Huddersfield and one v Emley.

Emiley game was in the 90s when Tony Kelly scored . Would of thought the biggest away following in the late 70 S would of been the league cup games against Newcastle at Leeds and Everton . Before my time but must of been 20k at Everton and over 25k at Leeds 

32 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

The Christmas game at Blackpool was another large following & let's not forget Ewood. 

That must of been the biggest.

Was trying to think of the biggest away following of a game I went to and we actually won would probably be the Liverpool game with Rioch Not sure how many we took though 

Edited by Farnywhite

10 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Two seasons running we blew it, despite being the league's best team. Somehow kept much of the squad together & finally made it ... for just 2 seasons and we were broke, letting players go and on a slide. But those good years ... my, they were fun.

Best years of my BWFC life 75-80. Two absolute heartbreaks but the joy of going up third time was amazing thanks to that Ewood game

Strangely I don’t remember us being broke at that time. We had massive attendances (massively underreported - 18K every week, oh aye) and I always remember my Dad saying that we were one of only a few clubs actually in the black at the time. We’d invested in the under soil heating and were still getting good crowds on Saturdays when other clubs were postponing games and getting shit attendances for rearranged midweek fixtures. Could be completely wrong of course

Never saw the Manny Road shenanigans as my Dad parked in The Haulgh as we were Burnden Paddock

8 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Some huge away followings in 77/78.  Blackpool, Hull, Oldham and Blackburn away to name a few.

Went to Mansfield in the March 13k on.  Probably not that many people in the whole of Mansfield.

Remember the Mansfield trip mainly because we went to catch a coach from Moor lane bus station and back then you just rocked up jumped on either Hargreaves coaches or Ribble Rabble coaches (which were cheaper if you were skint) and there were that many fans there that they ran out of coaches, was shitting it thought I’d miss the game, luckily Ribble commandeered a single decker 84 bus stop which was a right bone shaker and top speed of about 50 mph. Who smashed the long range goal at Mansfield was it Ritson? Great days!! 

Edited by Mounts Kipper