Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dion Charles

Rudy

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He was fucked off by the bbc in fairness. 

Ah OK. But he still called someone a white cunt. Someone he had never met before and used their colour of skin as a reason to do so.

• Site Supporter

Been thinking more about Charles and indeed the others.

For those who made tweets so long ago- whilst perhaps not even professionals, and maybe at a different club- should they receive a ban from playing, which affects the club now, or should they be fined and made to do some community work of some sort?

I would imagine a few hours litter picking up Daubhill would be more impactful than watching from the stands when his team mates are playing. 

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Been thinking more about Charles and indeed the others.

For those who made tweets so long ago- whilst perhaps not even professionals, and maybe at a different club- should they receive a ban from playing, which affects the club now, or should they be fined and made to do some community work of some sort?

I would imagine a few hours litter picking up Daubhill would be more impactful than watching from the stands when his team mates are playing. 

Dominic Raab says offences aren't dealt with retrospectively. 😉

• Moderators

I dunno, historical crimes are dealt with. You get a sentence, your current employer, partner, children etc. all suffer despite potentially not being part of your life then the offence occurred. Can't do the time, don't commit the crime.

Bolton can't complain, as we've covered, had they spent 30 mins checking his socials.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

https://www.thefa.com/news/2022/jan/05/marc-bola-warned-050122

Middlesbrough FC’s Marc Bola has been warned and ordered to complete a mandatory face-to-face education programme by an independent Regulatory Commission after admitting a breach of FA Rule E3 in relation to a social media post from 14 April 2012.

Would expect Charles to receive similar.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Carlos said:

I dunno, historical crimes are dealt with. You get a sentence, your current employer, partner, children etc. all suffer despite potentially not being part of your life then the offence occurred. Can't do the time, don't commit the crime.

Bolton can't complain, as we've covered, had they spent 30 mins checking his socials.

No crime has been committed though!

No police involvement, no prosecution. 

It's a rule break, and as such the governing body has the authority to set punishments.

Cheese's post suggests such.

Whether he will get similar, we'll see.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think Bola posted one offensive tweet as a 14 year old.

Charles is more likely to receive a similar punishment to Jonson Clarke Harris IMO.

Wasn't aware of that. Unfortunately, I think you're probably right.

• Members
27 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

If I was him I would pro-actively volunteer to do that now…

Best way is to educate someone, banning and fining isn’t the way 

• Members
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree, though a sting in the pocket won't harm him. Especially if it goes to a good cause.

It’s like lads who get bans for using discriminatory language toward players.

You ban them, they become resentful and don’t learn why what they said was wrong.

Apologise, meet the player you insulted then learn. If you do it again then volcano I guess 

Just now, Rudy said:

It’s like lads who get bans for using discriminatory language toward players.

You ban them, they become resentful and don’t learn why what they said was wrong.

Apologise, meet the player you insulted then learn. If you do it again then volcano I guess 

Obviously it depends on the language used - context, interpretation, etc. - but surely if they have anything about them they'd accept the ban, take it on the chin and seek to educate themselves anyway?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Obviously it depends on the language used - context, interpretation, etc. - but surely if they have anything about them they'd accept the ban, take it on the chin and seek to educate themselves anyway?

Maybe he/they are now more educated than when they made the posts?

Banning is daft, but a suitable punishment should include some sort of education if there is genuine evidence of a lack of understanding. I always feel that getting a person out of their comfort zone is ideal. Maybe the embarrassment, re-education, or genuine enjoyment of the action will be of benefit.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Maybe he/they are now more educated than when they made the posts?

Banning is daft, but a suitable punishment should include some sort of education if there is genuine evidence of a lack of understanding. I always feel that getting a person out of their comfort zone is ideal. Maybe the embarrassment, re-education, or genuine enjoyment of the action will be of benefit.

The post I was responding to was about players using derogatory language towards other players, so would be recent incidents.

I'd be in favour of some kind of amnesty, except in circumstances were comments were particularly extreme or threatening, perhaps up to the age of 16, possibly 18.

One thing that irritates me about things like this though, is the immediate assumption people have matured or changed (I know you're not making that point yourself, it's just a general comment). Most of the time they don't know the person at all and it's just an assumption based on the passage of time (the same applies whether it's Dion Charles, Azeem Rafiq, etc.).

On 04/01/2022 at 22:14, Dr. Feelgood said:

I have just 'cancelled' you. The invitation to my upcoming houseparty is withdrawn and I shall never again buy you Love Hearts.

Let it be a lesson to you.

Never darken my instep again !

You cant be serious about the love hearts !!! Thats just cruel beyond measure 😞

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Said this in another thread but he’s an absolute Nightmare to play against. The engine of an energizer bunny.

Constantly on a defenders shoulder,down their neck  stuck in, winning tackles , taking people on. 

A right little fucker to deal with, that itch you can’t scratch, like the mosquito  on holiday you can’t hit.

Super Dion Charles 

55 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Said this in another thread but he’s an absolute Nightmare to play against. The engine of an energizer bunny.

Constantly on a defenders shoulder,down their neck  stuck in, winning tackles , taking people on. 

A right little fucker to deal with, that itch you can’t scratch, like the mosquito  on holiday you can’t hit.

Super Dion Charles 

And he can finish!