Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wycombe

Horwich

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I sort of agree with you in an optimistic way but I have one massive problem

Things might click but all an opposing team needs to do is put the ball out of play. Corner, throw in or a shithousery free kick. They know that we’ll do fuck all with it and give them possession. We can’t clear the first man at a corner. We can’t put a free kick or a cross into a decent space in the box. We can’t even do anything positive with a throw in. It’s not even worth discussing formation, tactics, player selection or anything else when we do nowt with the basics that the other team should be worrying about

Hoping Morley is the answer to the above corner and free kicks 

We are crying out for a formation change, Fossey and John crying out to be set free.  Some positives tonight, Jones was superb when he came on, Fossey great second half, Charles looks lively, on the down side we need a new midfield, Bakayoko & Delf we’re utterly shocking, and Lee continues to under perform. 

1 hour ago, deane koontz said:

Nothing is stopping Gilks from standing behind Dixon with a megaphone and barking orders

Nothing is stopping a mad scientist transplanting Gilks brain from his decrepit body into Dixon's. Your 'keeper should be the eyes, ears and gob for the defence, and Fossey is a winger never a RB. And I wonder about the wisdom of loaning players from London teams and bringing them to our one-horse town.

2 minutes ago, Moonguest said:

So what you’re saying is that the players are nowhere near good enough for League One.

Unfortunately yes. Or they are trying to be too clever? Sometimes you just have to lump it into the box. At least it’s in the box and there’s a chance summat may happen. It it doesn’t even reach there…..

They were the better side and deserved to win.

We started brightly, their goalie made 2 good saves.

they had 2 one on ones and the goals, niggled and game managed well.

we aren’t hard enough / physical enough.

Our set pieces are just a joke.

as soon as we go behind we look devoid of ideas.

some good balls into the box but nobody gambling.

fossey - superb.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Was that the one that Fossy crossed in? From NSL it looked like the defender got a touch to it - possibly with his hand - to divert the ball off path, though I do think Delfouneso should have just thrown himself at the ball and surely he’d have scored. 

It was a high forward pass down the middle before that. Don't think he really had much chance with that cross. 

My view is we are in a consolidation season.  Last season we excelled in the last 20 games and got promoted with L2 and non-league players.  This season we have L2 and L1 level so need to try finish mid-table and build on that next season.  At the start of the season I said I’d be happy with mid-table and nothing’s changed, it’s on and off the pitch that has to tally and being sustainable to meet FFP so we don’t end up in the shit again.  

I’m happy with everything as it is for the time being, yes we’ve got a nice ground, but some folk need a reality check on how long the journeys going to take, a nice ground doesn’t mean your better than the opposition on the day.

2 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

My view is we are in a consolidation season.  Last season we excelled in the last 20 games and got promoted with L2 and non-league players.  This season we have L2 and L1 level so need to try finish mid-table and build on that next season.  At the start of the season I said I’d be happy with mid-table and nothing’s changed, it’s on and off the pitch that has to tally and being sustainable to meet FFP so we don’t end up in the shit again.  

I’m happy with everything as it is for the time being, yes we’ve got a nice ground, but some folk need a reality check on how long the journeys going to take, a nice ground doesn’t mean your better than the opposition on the day.

Good post. 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I sort of agree with you in an optimistic way but I have one massive problem

Things might click but all an opposing team needs to do is put the ball out of play. Corner, throw in or a shithousery free kick. They know that we’ll do fuck all with it and give them possession. We can’t clear the first man at a corner. We can’t put a free kick or a cross into a decent space in the box. We can’t even do anything positive with a throw in. It’s not even worth discussing formation, tactics, player selection or anything else when we do nowt with the basics that the other team should be worrying about

We put 2 decent near post corners in in the space of a minute in the 1st half but nobody attacked them. It's pure farce. 

2 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

That's all very well and admirable, and most would agree with the sentiment but we need to see progression.

The same things we were bad at last year we are still bad at, with no signs of improvement and spin it how you want that is a worry.

15 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Was that the one that Fossy crossed in? From NSL it looked like the defender got a touch to it - possibly with his hand - to divert the ball off path, though I do think Delfouneso should have just thrown himself at the ball and surely he’d have scored. 

This guy's attitude and application (or abject lack of it) is shocking and has been for a long time now. It really does boil my piss. Wish he would just fck off and go steal a living somewhere else

5 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It was a high forward pass down the middle before that. Don't think he really had much chance with that cross. 

Sorry yeah I know which you mean now. Think he tried to blag a foul from it like Holdsworth used to always do but there was more chance of me coming off the bench than the referee being convinced by that one. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

That's all very well and admirable, and most would agree with the sentiment but we need to see progression.

The same things we were bad at last year we are still bad at, with no signs of improvement and spin it how you want that is a worry.

I think we’re going to need to be patient, it’s going to take a huge turnover of playing staff to get us back into the Championship, then there’s the staying up.  Taking into account where we are and what needs doing it’s probably going to take two seasons minimum, we’d need a team who can walk this league, until we have it the step up will be a huge struggle to stay in it.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

We were in the bottom half of League 2 this time last season. We're currently in the bottom half of League 1 and are signing players for fees for the first time in fucking years. How is that not "progression"? Patience is a virtue.

Edited by Cheese

Haven’t seen anything of the game due to being away (not even thinly veiled) but there is nothing that surprises me about what’s being said about Santos. He’s the biggest soft lad known to man, hates a battle, shrinks when a striker gets in his face, is poor at winning defensive headers, doesn’t have any attack in him for our corners but then will throw a 5 ft 5 striker to the ground like he’s a kids toy almost as if to show how big and hard he his. He looks great when the odds are massively in his favour but he hates a battle and teams are now very aware of it. I don’t know what the answer is, because he can clearly be a very very good centre back on his day but he’s being found out too often. He’s better with Baptiste next to him, who’s got the experience to talk him through a game, but Baptiste himself is finished so that’s no good. He needs a decent, hard, experienced pro next to him (and preferably behind) and I think you’d see the best of him again.

Oh and he’s not a captain, maybe in 5 years time but not now!

I think we will be all right. Once we get some of the lads who have been out for some time back up to speed along with the new signings will be a different proposition.  Wycombe were a Championship side last season got established players and some real quality.  Just too much for us at moment but we will get there.

Can't be arsed reading sane stuff from those who moaned last season they will be out in force but I reckon they will disappear again soon.

Just now, Max Cherry said:

I think we will be all right. Once we get some of the lads who have been out for some time back up to speed along with the new signings will be a different proposition.  Wycombe were a Championship side last season got established players and some real quality.  Just too much for us at moment but we will get there.

Can't be arsed reading same stuff from those who moaned last season they will be out in force but I reckon they will disappear again soon.