Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wycombe

Horwich

Wycombe were everything we are not, big strong organised full of confidence playing a way they think will get results. 

We are devoid of confidence can not get basics right at corners and free kicks. 
Surprised Lee is getting stick him Jones and the kid from Diversity provided a real spark down the right hand side. But we never had enough bodies in the box. 

I am not one to slag players off but the way some of the players have halos is bizarre John has been awful all season, Dapo woeful for weeks ( but a youngster in terms of experience just finished his first full season of pro first team football he has excuses, team target him early and he gets caught up in it) Santos was shit again tonight need to watch the first goal again but he seemed to sprint away from the player, both their forwards bullied him for 90 minutes. Williams terrible as he was at Hartlepool. Bakayoko got beat in the air by a dwarf time after time. Lego head runs round but looks way off the pace. No idea why Delfonso is at the club he offers zero. 
M62, roadworks and fog and closed at junction 26 to 27, but we come off at 26. When the highlight of the night is the motorway not being shut you know it ain't great. Home for half 11 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Charles has real glimpses of quality, but he was blowing a bowling ball through a Fallopian tube 55 mins.

Be patient you fannies 

Same with Williams, Lee, Fossey and will be for Jones too - they are not fit enough at the minute and if anyone wants to criticise them for that, then they would be bonkers.

When 5 players are not fit enough and you are bringing on players who aren’t good enough then it highlights the next problem, the squad isn’t strong enough…… yet.

But those 5 players when fit will make a big difference. Add to that more quality with transfers then we’ll start to see a positive shift. Not immediately IMO, but slowly. Once we turn the corner I’m hoping and believing we’ll have enough to stay up and push up to mid-table.

Edited by desperado

Wycombe did a job on us, they're more physical than us, stronger in the air , much better at shithousery & horrible as they are,  there's a good chance they'll go up. They're still largely a (poor) Championship side, we're still largely a good Div 2 side.

It wasn't all bad for us, we pretty much matched them 1st half, Jones coming back is a big plus, Fossey was good playing further forward & should start in Baka's/Kachunga's right wing position, Charles looks very promising but well short of match fitness & Morley should improve the midfield on Saturday. Baka, Thomasson & Delf weren't great.

Wycombe were wasting time near the end of the first half, we more than matched them, it was the 2nd goal which turned the screw, a great goal.  We’ve come a long way in the last 12 months, I’m certainly not going to spit my dummy out, with what we had out there we held our own and played nice football and I honestly thought we’d do them in the 2nd half, but like I said, the 2nd goal did us.  Carry on playing like we did early doors and we’ll get results.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We are crying out for a formation change, Fossey and John crying out to be set free.  Some positives tonight, Jones was superb when he came on, Fossey great second half, Charles looks lively, on the down side we need a new midfield, Bakayoko & Delf we’re utterly shocking, and Lee continues to under perform. 

Agree with a lot of this but not sure the midfield / Lee points are fair, midfield isn’t an area I’m worrying about.

Williams has had injury/COVID lay-offs in the last couple of months, Lee supposedly had a nasty bout of COVID just last week. Would he have played tonight if we weren’t so short at the minute? Who knows 

The signing of Morley and potentially Dempsey tells you Evatt knows that’s an area that needs improvement, and will no doubt strengthen our midfield along with Williams and Lee getting sharper game by game. 

I think we will be fine, maybe that's too blasé for some on here. But we just need any sort of scrappy win to build some confidence. It will come, perhaps once the transfers are all sorted.

Positives tonight = Charles, Fossey and Jones.

Negatives =

- Still major defensive issues and I'm not sure Morley and possibly Dempsey from Gillingham will fix that.

- As a collective the back 4 isn't working. All have weaknesses, I think in particular John although lots of fingers pointed at Santos lately.

- Dixon is probably the number one personnel to fix defensively, having a good GK can really win you points. Gilks proved that last season. Dixon looks diminutive in goal and isn't inspiring any confidence right now.

- Delf isn't good enough, end of but we already knew that. Why did we have to use him? Where were Xav and Kacha tonight? Injured or covid I'm guessing?

- Bakayoko was awful second half and rightfully hooked. Didn't look arsed to compete and win for headers which is concerning. Got a pat on the back from Evatt when he came off, didn't deserve that imo.

- If you're going to play as a central midfielder in a system like this, you need to boss the game. Lee and Thomason weren't capable of that today, even MJ, I didn't think imposed himself on the game enough but he was probably the best of them. Hopefully Morely can bring some quality there. I like Thomason but wasn't in the game enough at all for a CM tonight.

All in all, the game tonight was looking positive until we conceded, which is the story of our season. We had a positive spell second half too but the game was over at that point. As many have said Wycombe did a job on us and it's too easy for teams to that at the moment.

Edited by Mantra

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

So do the vast majority of teams. I don't think conceding is our main issue. It's finishing.

Not as systematically as we do.

Just take a look at our stats of conceding the first goal. It’s staggering and been happening all season long.

I agree we cannot finish or score neither but a 0-0 will be a start.

Edited by captainmed

• Site Supporter

Some good you lot would have been in the trenches.

We’re up against it fellas. But we’re still a club in transition and there will be times like these.

Trust Evatt, he got us promoted with a bunch of strangers on the same budget as a Sunday league team.

Some of these players still barely know each other’s names and it shows on the pitch at times.

He’ll get them scrapping, and we won’t be relegated. Show some faith.

The Spider.

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

We’re up against it fellas. But we’re still a club in transition and there will be times like these.

Trust Evatt, he got us promoted with a bunch of strangers on the same budget as a Sunday league team.

Some of these players still barely know each other’s names and it shows on the pitch at times.

The Spider.

Well said

Fartelli

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Spider said:

The Spider.

I wouldn't want to be in the trenches with one or two of these players either tbf. We need a couple of hard nosed pros pdq. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I wouldn't want to be in the trenches with one or two of these players either tbf. We need a couple of hard nosed pros pdq. 

And there is still time for that to happen.

They don’t stand outside the stadium waiting to be signed. Not the good ones, anyway.

I just find the immediate clamour to jump on Evatt’s back by some fans very tiresome. To turn a football club like ours around from the position it was in will take years. Years.

I understand impatience, but it’s just the way it is.

Build slowly, steadily, like we did with Rioch and I’ll be most pleased.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

The Spider.

You need to send this to IE and the players it’s them who need to stand up and be counted .

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

Very frustrating to watch, but reminds me of this time last year, waiting for things to click again. Confident it'll come.

On what basis are you confident? There is nothing in that team that makes me confident we can stay up! Theres nothing on the bench to change it? The injured players are not up for it anyway! This team is in big trouble, i hope im wrong, but cant see anything to be optimistic for. And, Charles will become the new scapegoat, like Doyle, as he wont receive the service to get goals. Not his fault, its the system.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Spider said:

They don’t stand outside the stadium waiting to be signed. Not the good ones, anyway.

I just find the immediate clamour to jump on Evatt’s back by some fans very tiresome. To turn a football club like ours around from the position it was in will take years. Years.

Its boring. He isnt going. Save your time and try and get Boris sacked.

• Members
40 minutes ago, Spider said:

They did it last year. 
Short memories and no patience. Like Horwich says he ain’t going anywhere so have a day off 

Thought they were much better and barely went into second gear. 

Santos showed again that if he's against a big strong lad who is in his face then he just can't cope.

Some more criticism from Dixon on here about how he doesn't instill confidence in his defence but there's a flip to that, imagine being a keeper and going out to play behind any 4 of ours and think how confident you'd be in them.

My main issue is that IE seems to have a complete inability to make any tactical changes whether personnel or formation or tempo or whatever. It's clear that what we are doing isn't working and hasn't worked for a good while so you have to try to change. It's not an admittance that your long term vision isn't right, it's just the practicality of being a manager.

Would happily accept staying up on goal difference at this point. I think Ian Evatt has realised the short comings in the team and areas that need prioritising urgently. To call for Evatt to go is ludicrous beyond expression. We use this season to consolidate. Let’s not forget the situation a few years ago. Just a blessing we are in league one. 
Good job there are at least 3 chronic teams in this league. Trust the passing football it will come good. White army. 

Mutley

7 hours ago, Rice said:

Agree with a lot of this but not sure the midfield / Lee points are fair, midfield isn’t an area I’m worrying about.

Williams has had injury/COVID lay-offs in the last couple of months, Lee supposedly had a nasty bout of COVID just last week. Would he have played tonight if we weren’t so short at the minute? Who knows 

The signing of Morley and potentially Dempsey tells you Evatt knows that’s an area that needs improvement, and will no doubt strengthen our midfield along with Williams and Lee getting sharper game by game. 

I just think if we ever do go to a back 3 we need a better mix & balance to support & cover the back 3, yes I think Williams or Lee might be ok with the 2 new signings but I wouldn’t rely on those 2 together, Lee is the big concern for me don’t see any physical presence from him and not sure his legs are there for what we would need. I’ll be very happy if 2 new centre mids come in and become first choice picks.