Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chester FC

Traf

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

they got financial support from the Welsh government

their alcohol licence is issued by Flintshire Council

their safety certificate is issued by Cheshire Council then that should deem it an English stadium as far as I’m concerned. 

They've never had any financial support from Wales.

The alcohol licence is new news to me. It'd be odd if so as the grounds admin is ALL done as an English club, rates paud to Chester, policed by Cheshire. But I'll take a look.

It's been a pain-free matter since the stadium was built there and opened in 1992. Nothing more than a Quiz Question.

It's all down to Drakeford, tin-pot Corbyn and father of a jailed nonce that he is. He barely leaves Cardiff & there's no record of him ever visiting Clywd since being First Minister. Wanker of the first order.

8 minutes ago, Traf said:

It's where I'm at. I refuse to accept there wasn't anywhere in England to build it.

Of course there was, but this was built at the bottom end of an industrial and shopping area and very, very close to the old Sealand Road ground. The "is it English or Welsh" debate was done to death at that time and never, ever was it seen as an issue ... until last week.

It was built in days when the border wasn't the political football (see what I did there ?) it has been made to be in recent years.

Unlike the Scottish border, all the way from Chester to Chepstow it's a dynamic border. 20% of the Welsh population lives within 20 minutes drive of the English border. Enormous numbers of people, from both sides, live, shop, take leisure and work over the border. I crossed it 3 times each way yesterday alone.

This is nothing more than a struggling politician trying to make a fuss.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Traf said:

It's where I'm at. I refuse to accept there wasn't anywhere in England to build it.

Last time I went, the area around the ground (carpark) looked like there was enough room to build a new pitch.

Probably hindsight and all that.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Of course there was, but this was built at the bottom end of an industrial and shopping area and very, very close to the old Sealand Road ground. The "is it English or Welsh" debate was done to death at that time and never, ever was it seen as an issue ... until last week.

It was built in days when the border wasn't the political football (see what I did there ?) it has been made to be in recent years.

Unlike the Scottish border, all the way from Chester to Chepstow it's a dynamic border. 20% of the Welsh population lives within 20 minutes drive of the English border. Enormous numbers of people, from both sides, live, shop, take leisure and work over the border. I crossed it 3 times each way yesterday alone.

This is nothing more than a struggling politician trying to make a fuss.

I get all of that, of course and I'm not saying you're wrong, but...

...you're an English club, playing in ther English league and practically all (but not all, I'd guess) of your fans are English. Due to the financial etc problems, you HAVE to build a new ground.
You just wouldn't put 98% in an adjoining country. You wouldn't normally put your new ground over town/county boundaries, never mind a national one.

5 minutes ago, Traf said:

I get all of that, of course and I'm not saying you're wrong, but...

...you're an English club, playing in ther English league and practically all (but not all, I'd guess) of your fans are English. Due to the financial etc problems, you HAVE to build a new ground.
You just wouldn't put 98% in an adjoining country. You wouldn't normally put your new ground over town/county boundaries, never mind a national one.

I would agree, but it's what happened and was never challenged* and has not been an issue for 30 years. Then some prick wants to make a point.

*tbf a bunch of Chester fans back in the day went a bit doolally over it. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I would agree, but it's what happened and was never challenged* and has not been an issue for 30 years. Then some prick wants to make a point.

*tbf a bunch of Chester fans back in the day went a bit doolally over it. 

So...

...if there was some opposition to the move and the club still went ahead, there must have been some advantage to them to build it there?

4 minutes ago, pauldeva said:

I think the council gave them the land as part of the deal when they sold Sealand Road

Like our club , an idiot owner took advantage 

We could have been in the same boat not long ago 

Hence its now owned by the community

The ground iis leased from the council

• Site Supporter

Remember, the current Chester isn't the one that first moved to the Deva stadium. 

That club ceased to exist, and when a new club was formed, it was obvious that they would need a ground and a no brainer to lease it from Cheshire Council.

Which is interesting, as if its their's to lease, then irrespective of which country part of it lies in, it is owned and managed within England.

A ridiculously petty attitude from the Welsh authorities. Wonder what would happen if our lot decided that as English fans can't watch their team play an away match in Wales, then Welsh supporters would be banned from crossing the border too?