Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich (H)

Rudy

29 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Brilliant win hopefully a springboard to the season. Baka superb. Morley 6/10 debut and Trafford solid apart from flapping at one corner like Dudek. 
Good team unity and much more promising. All the best to Ipswich for the rest of the season. 

mutley 

Never.

Marc505

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

That feels like a very significant moment in our season. A bit like the home win over Orient this time last year. Not saying by any means we'll go on a run like we did last Spring but we needed to stop the rot and that's an impressive result against a form side. Two goals late in the game shows resilience and after recent showings a clean sheet is like gold dust.

A few more results like that and we can stop looking over our shoulders and planning ahead for next season. We are spending money in the transfer market too. Decent grounds for measured optimism and a celebratory pint or three.

Well summed up.  Clean sheet - tick.  2nd half winner - tick.  Good all round performance against a decent team - tick.

Beer tastes even nicer tonight.

Solid performance.

Jones has a huge impact on this team. Good defensively, improves Santos, gets forward well and is also a critical factor of us being able to play out from the back with the ball into MJ and then out to the full back - there’s a lot of confidence in him to keep the ball.

Lee was MoTM, never stopped.

MJ played well but still looks like he’s getting up to his best form - no bad thing though that there’s more to come from him.

Like the look of Morley, clever player with an eye for a pass, as Jules said hits a sweet ball but also seems like he has a defensive side to his game (and only 21!).

Charles will be a good one once up to speed - probably needs 3 or 4 more games before he gets there but the signs are promising.

As others have said, only slight downside today was Baka - didn’t win a single header, doesn’t use his size, lost the ball a lot and generally didn’t offer much. I think there’s more in him and maybe he needs a run in the team, but I thought he was poor today.

Liked the balance in the team, liked that we were effective down both sides, liked that we played out from the back but also went long. One swallow and all that, but definitely promising signs.

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Didnt hear a peep out of em. Strange as was a decent following.

Yep very very subdued given the numbers 

I took a colleague as a guest today and as a neutral he remarked how good the Bolton fans were and how quiet they were 

We’ve lost to worse sides than Ipswich, so very satisfying that; particularly the fact we didn’t concede in the first half hour when we were second best and 55 to about 65/60 mins, and the way we protected the lead.

Hapyp feeling tonight. Forgot how good it felt 🙂

50 minutes ago, Morizio said:

After about 20 mins I think we started to get the bounce of the ball. I did think this was 0-0 all over it. 

I never think any game of ours has 0-0 written all over it, its the 2nd nil that is normally the problem.  We are more likely to get a clean sheet if we have a lead to hang onto than if we don't.  I can't remember the last 0-0, did we have one in 2021?

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I never think any game of ours has 0-0 written all over it, its the 2nd nil that is normally the problem.  We are more likely to get a clean sheet if we have a lead to hang onto than if we don't.  I can't remember the last 0-0, did we have one in 2021?

Colchester at home in April, and Burton at home in September.

1 minute ago, Ani said:

Did not think we did much, got lucky at times. 99/100 the point blank header is a goal and both our goals potentially offside , however I really do not give a fuck we were due some luck. 

The second one couldn't have been, unless I'm missing something. Their centre half played it directky into Dapo's path.

I agree, though, that if their header had've gone in it very likely would've been a different story.

Thankfully, it didn't and we've left with points. 😀

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Ani said:

Did not think we did much, got lucky at times. 99/100 the point blank header is a goal and both our goals potentially offside , however I really do not give a fuck we were due some luck. 

Look at the highlights. First goal, Lee is clearly onside, not even that tight for the linesman, and he's in a good position to see.

The second is tighter, and at first appears off. However, if you can manage to pause the action at fhe right point, it appears that dapo has times the run perfectly.