Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury.

leigh white

7 hours ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Blimey. 

my lad was in tears at 88mins. For the simple fact he’d put all his heart in to us scoring, it’s his first proper season. He’s been to Sheff Weds and Accrington prior to today. He was upset cos all game he just had the hope we’d do well, it got too much for him, I tried to say “mate it’s 0-0, we’re not bloody losing, take that as a good thing”

then boom,89 mins  he was in floods saying it’s the best he’s ever felt and wishes he could relive that moment again and again. 

absolutely fantastic. Some faces knocking around today too!

thought we grinded it out and would’ve taken a point, 

fucking hell im still buzzing 

what a fucking goal, 

One of Early Darts grandsons was at the match today . Think he is around 7, his first away game .

And he was still in the ground when we scored. 

Made up for him and all the young un's.  Days like yesterday nature the next generations of Wanderers Fans. So so important 

Considering Shrewsbury’s league record at home since the end of September that’s a great result against a team just below us.  6pts in a week, I’ll take that 🙂  Just been promoted and getting a result where other teams can’t is a huge boost, but I’m not getting carried away, I’ll still be happy for the squad to achieve consolidation this season.

5 minutes ago, little whitt said:

he was on our Coach with his Dad Going 

only the Dad on the way back 

was only 16 

Let’s hope that he’s not banned, he wasn’t a danger or aggressive just overwhelmed in the moment. If he gets a fine let me know I’ll chuck in. 👍

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, embankment said:

Well what a day. Up at 7.00 , thought about knocking on for Jeep as I strolled past his gated abode.

Early morning rattler from Howfen. Met Early Dart on the train , grabbed a coffee at Piccadily,  plenty of Wanderers Fans mooching about waiting for the 9.30 to Shrewsbury.  As soon as it turned up grabbed a couple of table seats , Ashbourne Street Market Stall , Pensioner (sputnik)Stan , Pinocheo's Dad , Grump Bat , Mr Smith, Woody  and young Phileas  Fogg in attendance. 

Train was packed but with mostly vintage fans . Boltons youth unwilling to get out  of their pits at an ungodly hour.

First pit stop in Shrewsbury was the Bulls Head , doors were shut but unlocked (schoolboy error from the landlord) . " Are you open ? "

" I wasn't, but you lot look like you need a drink "

Excellent beers flowed .

Moved onto the ancient Three Fishes , after deciding to forego a Spoons breakfast.  Turned out to be a good decision.  Devoured double egg , home made chips and slices of delicious ham. Locals a friendly bunch went above and beyond welcoming us , within 40 mins Ashburner St got an invite to a swingers party. 

Moved onto The Wheatsheaf , as soon as we got through the doors the management locked the doors . ( Bolton's Youth had started to desend on the town). Turns out the pubs have a watts app group.

We pitched up in a corner spot ( felt sorry for the couple sat trying to avoid eye contact whilst supposedly have a quiet Saturday meal ).

A few man's best friends knocking about. Cockapoo named Lemmy.  Couldn't resist it , whilst it's female owner was oh a toilet break offered the husband a fiver he accepted it !!

The look on her face when she returned as he explained the situation was a joy to watch. Pub was in uproar .

Turns out it was a neighbours dog.

Fiver and dog exchanged again.

Shrewsbury is a great drinking town but it's a bloody route march to the ground . On route found The Bell View ( cash only) , resulting in Early Dart negotiating how much of a pint he could purchase with the few coins in his wallet. (3/4 pint ).

Onto the stadium,  great atmosphere,  Wanderers fans in full voice . First half both sides cancelled each other out . Not good but nice to achieve 0-0 at half time. 

Half time  presentation on the pitch to the legendary Tony Kelly from the Wanderers Remembrance Group . A visibibly moved Mr Kelly a credit to our great club . The guy has been through a very tough couple of years. 

Bumped into Jeep and Mikkey D ( not the famous Motorhead drummer)

Back to the football , Wanderers came out looking to attack more . Vela was being a nuisance all over the park for Shrewsbury. 

It was nice to see alot less passing the ball amongst our defenders and keeper.

As the clock ticked on , I convinced myself that a draw was a good result.  Then the ball smashed into the net , a sublime one touch followed by a rocket of a shot  . The place went mental, players jumping into the fans   . This is the moments we all live for .

The rain sodden disappointments of Fleetwood and Accrington forgotten in an instant.

Limbs everywhere at full time . Bumped into Mr Kelly as I walked out , the grin on his face once again proved " once in never out ".

Back to the Bell View , walk back interrupted by a phone call from home , " have you bought a bloody dog ? "

The joys of social media !!!!!

Got settled into the Bell View . Soon packed with Bolton fans good atmosphere. Away Win , last minute goal , it doesn't get any better . Even Grumpy Bat had a smile on his face whilst in a Rocking Chair looking like a modern day Cyril Fletcher.

Mr Smith had battled on for the day but was not ready for another route march to the station for the 7pm train.

Not 1 taxi available in Shrewsbury.  A few good souls stopped with him and eventually got the 9pm.

The rest of us set off , arrived at the station.  No sign of Ash !!!

Looks like he took up the earlier invite !!!

Train back was rammed but the journey flew by .

Bolton Youth in great voice.

Roll on next Saturday. 

Best report yet that.

Superb.

12 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

In 40 odd years the last minute winners away from home that I've seen can be counted on one hand; last time I was at Shrewsbury (Gay Meadow) we scored a last minute winner in front of a packed away terrace.  Close range header from Stuart Storer on first day of season.  Not long after that we signed their best player, Tony Kelly.

You’ve obviously not done enough away days pal, cos i’ve seen dozens of late winners  for us - it just happens that i’ve seen even more late goals scored against us.

29 minutes ago, Ani said:

Yoof got back about 9 singing Dion Dion Dion Charles over and over.

said best 'limbs' or 'scenes' he has ever been in. Forget how shit some of young uns have had it in recent years. P

Easy to forget that Port Vale was nearly 5 years ago now, pretty much another generation of young fans will have come through since then and had very little to cheer about away from home!

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Easy to forget that Port Vale was nearly 5 years ago now, pretty much another generation of young fans will have come through since then and had very little to cheer about away from home!

Fearless mate young lads walking through home fans singing “Shrewsbury get battered” not the best thing to do but no fucks given