Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury.

leigh white

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Completely agree on Fossey, he still makes us dangerous down that right wing, even though he’s essentially playing as a lone wing back, rather than with a full back.

For me the wings are definitely the compromise with the new formation. We have less options and are less dangerous attacking down the wings as we are relying on only Fossey (who manages very well) or only John (who hasn’t seemed as comfortable as yet) to attack. Jones and Johnston often become the available option in this formation, and Jones is far more comfortable with the ball at his feet, being a natural full-back, than Johnston looks - who lost the ball quite a few times in the first half trying to find a pass into midfield - but it definitely makes us look better defensively and we always seem to have a covering CB.

I still think that if we strengthen in CM, if Dempsey comes in and we look really strong in there, then 4231 suits better and would utilise Dapo to his best (which is essential as he’s our best player) - I also don’t think that 2 up front has exactly proven that it will translate into loads of chances, but maybe that changes with JDB v Baka - but then you can’t exactly argue with 2 wins out of 2 using this formation.

Interesting to see how it goes, and it’s nice to have options brought about with a stronger squad, as long as we keep winning then I don’t really give a toss what formation we play.

Would offer Fulham a nominal fee now for Fossey get him tied up on a longish contract now

2 hours ago, Morizio said:

Well from the posters on here it could be 

hugetwatus

jummypissboi

ratshitman

Think of any others? 

Now why oh why would it be me?

Im excited we won and morseo proved my point as soon as we fucked Doyle off results would pick up!! I wanted him gone so we could improve and voila!

Did you notice Charles made that goal for himself, funny how Doyle never managed that, always everyone else's fault for not creating apparently.

Yet according to you and others Doyle was 'fundamental' to how we play!? Well clearly not for me, or Evatt. Got that right didn't you all.

Football knowledge at least matches your intelligence. Mug

Edited by JimmyRiddle

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Did you lose H ? 

A regular occurance as we know 😁

Only for a short time. Train got some extra carriages added so we got some seats & he was in Covid central.

Two young lads got jumped by about a dozen home fans and they took a bit of a battering, unfortunately. Probably revenge for that Churchgate massacre from a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Ani said:

Not a winner by Aaron Wilbrahams equaliser at Sheff Weds has to be up there. Some kid I never seen before  climbed on my shoulders. 

That was a great moment, especially in the thick of a relegation battle, and I'm fairly sure our late equalisers are more rare than late winners.  Although they never feel as euphoric as a win, there's some extra satisfaction at shutting up the giddy home fans, one minute they're giving it the celebratory songs, the next they go silent and we take over and though its just 1 point it feels like we've got the bragging rights.  Very very rare however!

22 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

... that goal ....  How good does that feel ?

It changes so much. Football does that. Had it not happened we'd be OK with a hard fought draw. Had it gone the other way I'd not have been on here, or anywhere, talking football. I'd not feel uplifted. I'd be dreading next week.

Fine margins.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It changes so much. Football does that. Had it not happened we'd be OK with a hard fought draw. Had it gone the other way I'd not have been on here, or anywhere, talking football. I'd not feel uplifted. I'd be dreading next week.

Fine margins.

Well put.

I lose interest in all other football for the rest of the weekend if we’ve lost.

• Site Supporter

Away from the football,  just how nice is Shrewsbury? All the half-timbered buildings were a fantastic sight.

Went in Freemason's Arms on way to ground to ask about local taxis.  They told us if we stayed for a beer we could jump on their courtesy mini bus. 

All was well until some old bugger got on. Even the Shrewsbury supporters sighed. What a gobby fucker he was! Effing and blinding,  calling us freeloading fucker. I turned around to him and reminded him of the youngsters on the bus. All the other fans applauded,  he told me to fuck off,  if I didn't like swearing then I shouldn't be on the bus. I think he missed my point. Wish I'd gone back in after the game to smile at him.

After the game we were in Bulls Head where they weren't quite as accommodating as they'd been during @embankment's trip. They asked us to leave for encouraging one of the Rochdale Whites four year old to sing us a football song. I didn't even know he knew Wanky Wanderers. 

Enjoyed some old school wanderers songs with a few older boys; We Don't Carry 'ammers, and songs of that era. Then the yoof carried on with their We're the One and Only Wanderers.

We really must come up with some better songs. 

Edited by MickyD

16 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Enjoyed some old school wanderers songs with a few older boys; We Don't Carry 'ammers, and songs of that era. Then the yoof carried on with their We're the One and Only Wanderers.

We really must come up with some better songs. 

It probably isn’t a Bolton original song, but i’ve always had a soft spot for “The Bolton Fusiliers”

“Eyes right, foreskins tight, Bollocks to the front” etc etc

”Molly Malone” was another Lever End favourite back in the day.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

9 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

It probably isn’t a Bolton original song, but i’ve always had a soft spot for “The Bolton Fusiliers”

“Eyes right, foreskins tight, Bollocks to the front” etc etc

We had that one on the train home, along with Indian corn.

Didn’t realise how sound proofed the train doors are. Was queuing for toilet and could see the other carriage was having a proper party yet couldn’t hear a word!

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Thogden would probably be just as likely celebrate Palace’s goal today, or Brightons equaliser.

I get the feeling his passion isn’t reserved exclusively for Bolton.

Nah. He’s a Bolton fan - he puts a good show on for the other games he goes to and he’s become very popular because of it, so fair play to him he’s getting a bit of money for doing what he’s good at. I know he splits opinion, but personally I don’t have a problem with him at all.