Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury.

leigh white

12 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Now fast forwards a few decades, would you go anywhere near a car whose driver had quaffed ten pints ? 
I wouldn’t be anywhere near the car but, importantly, nor would he pissed up driver.

Nope, but you didn’t really think to much about it back then, he took us to Notts county that cup match where we were about 5 down at HT we got there just as HT whistle went, he’d been supping from 1pm and we left about 4. 

My mate bought a new car , we went to Port Vale watching the whites (1972)

We supped ten pints before the game in their then supporters club , day after he took the car back to the dealer & got his money / old banger back .

Drinking & driving in those days was par for the course , he just had the thought that writing off a new car driving pissed wasn’t very bright , whereas an old banger?
Unbelievable Brian.

4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I thought I went with you but wasn't sure, great memory you have TK. Aye Jimmy G, not seen him for 10 years, is Dave R still going? Haven't seen him for 30 years. Fucking insurance man was mentalist!! he had 10 pints before we set off, the mad man. :)  

Last time I saw Dave was when I bumped into him at THE Friday night Hull City match at Boothferry Park so probably about the same time you did. Just googled that match to check what year it was and the BEN had the official Bolton following that night as approximately 3,700. Big fiddle on the gate receipts going on there if my memory serves me correctly

5 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

My mate bought a new car , we went to Port Vale watching the whites (1972)

We supped ten pints before the game in their then supporters club , day after he took the car back to the dealer & got his money / old banger back .

Drinking & driving in those days was par for the course , he just had the thought that writing off a new car driving pissed wasn’t very bright , whereas an old banger?
Unbelievable Brian.

One of the Walkden lads overturned his XR3i think it was freight rover at Darlington. He’d got back home before police knocked on his door asking if he knew his car had been stolen and written off in Darlington. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Nope, but you didn’t really think to much about it back then, he took us to Notts county that cup match where we were about 5 down at HT we got there just as HT whistle went, he’d been supping from 1pm and we left about 4. 

You lucky, lucky fucker! We got there on time and saw it all. 😂

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Now fast forwards a few decades, would you go anywhere near a car whose driver had quaffed ten pints ? 
I wouldn’t be anywhere near the car but, importantly, nor would he pissed up driver.

Nail on the head there pal, very different times we live in now and rightly so. On the Bristol trip we set off quite late and the guy put his foot down, outside lane all the way trying for about 90mph all the way and flashing anybody infront who was holding us up. For a few miles the outside lane of the motorway was coned off for roadworks and on one occasion he swerved out into it as there was a gap in the cones that he thought signified the end of the road works, about 2 seconds later he swerved back into the middle lane even quicker as he realised that it was just a gap for site access. If he'd had eleven pints there'd be another five lads for the rememberance group to remember.

52 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

One of the Walkden lads overturned his XR3i think it was freight rover at Darlington. He’d got back home before police knocked on his door asking if he knew his car had been stolen and written off in Darlington. 

Me and our Isaac were in that car, the driver fell asleep in outside lane on the A1 and hit about 100 yards of the barrier before coming to a stop 🙁🙁 lucky is not the word as said earlier wouldn’t go anywhere near a far with a drink driver in now 😂😂

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, MickyD said:

Not seen him in bloody ages. Lost him to poker last I heard.

Top top bloke is Zozzy.

Isn't the story that the Walden Whites had a poker night at HQ.  He went down as he had nothing better to do and discovered he was really good at it. Like really really really good.

He now travels the world playing for a living

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

Top top bloke is Zozzy.

Isn't the story that the Walden Whites had a poker night at HQ.  He went down as he had nothing better to do and discovered he was really good at it. Like really really really good.

That may have happened but i thought he'd started playing in on-line tournaments. Fake money at first but realised it isn't realistic. He then took the plunge and started playing for real money.

On 23/01/2022 at 07:12, embankment said:

Well what a day. Up at 7.00 , thought about knocking on for Jeep as I strolled past his gated abode.

Early morning rattler from Howfen. Met Early Dart on the train , grabbed a coffee at Piccadily,  plenty of Wanderers Fans mooching about waiting for the 9.30 to Shrewsbury.  As soon as it turned up grabbed a couple of table seats , Ashbourne Street Market Stall , Pensioner (sputnik)Stan , Pinocheo's Dad , Grump Bat , Mr Smith, Woody  and young Phileas  Fogg in attendance. 

Train was packed but with mostly vintage fans . Boltons youth unwilling to get out  of their pits at an ungodly hour.

First pit stop in Shrewsbury was the Bulls Head , doors were shut but unlocked (schoolboy error from the landlord) . " Are you open ? "

" I wasn't, but you lot look like you need a drink "

Excellent beers flowed .

Moved onto the ancient Three Fishes , after deciding to forego a Spoons breakfast.  Turned out to be a good decision.  Devoured double egg , home made chips and slices of delicious ham. Locals a friendly bunch went above and beyond welcoming us , within 40 mins Ashburner St got an invite to a swingers party. 

Moved onto The Wheatsheaf , as soon as we got through the doors the management locked the doors . ( Bolton's Youth had started to desend on the town). Turns out the pubs have a watts app group.

We pitched up in a corner spot ( felt sorry for the couple sat trying to avoid eye contact whilst supposedly have a quiet Saturday meal ).

A few man's best friends knocking about. Cockapoo named Lemmy.  Couldn't resist it , whilst it's female owner was oh a toilet break offered the husband a fiver he accepted it !!

The look on her face when she returned as he explained the situation was a joy to watch. Pub was in uproar .

Turns out it was a neighbours dog.

Fiver and dog exchanged again.

Shrewsbury is a great drinking town but it's a bloody route march to the ground . On route found The Bell View ( cash only) , resulting in Early Dart negotiating how much of a pint he could purchase with the few coins in his wallet. (3/4 pint ).

Onto the stadium,  great atmosphere,  Wanderers fans in full voice . First half both sides cancelled each other out . Not good but nice to achieve 0-0 at half time. 

Half time  presentation on the pitch to the legendary Tony Kelly from the Wanderers Remembrance Group . A visibibly moved Mr Kelly a credit to our great club . The guy has been through a very tough couple of years. 

Bumped into Jeep and Mikkey D ( not the famous Motorhead drummer)

Back to the football , Wanderers came out looking to attack more . Vela was being a nuisance all over the park for Shrewsbury. 

It was nice to see alot less passing the ball amongst our defenders and keeper.

As the clock ticked on , I convinced myself that a draw was a good result.  Then the ball smashed into the net , a sublime one touch followed by a rocket of a shot  . The place went mental, players jumping into the fans   . This is the moments we all live for .

The rain sodden disappointments of Fleetwood and Accrington forgotten in an instant.

Limbs everywhere at full time . Bumped into Mr Kelly as I walked out , the grin on his face once again proved " once in never out ".

Back to the Bell View , walk back interrupted by a phone call from home , " have you bought a bloody dog ? "

The joys of social media !!!!!

Got settled into the Bell View . Soon packed with Bolton fans good atmosphere. Away Win , last minute goal , it doesn't get any better . Even Grumpy Bat had a smile on his face whilst in a Rocking Chair looking like a modern day Cyril Fletcher.

Mr Smith had battled on for the day but was not ready for another route march to the station for the 7pm train.

Not 1 taxi available in Shrewsbury.  A few good souls stopped with him and eventually got the 9pm.

The rest of us set off , arrived at the station.  No sign of Ash !!!

Looks like he took up the earlier invite !!!

Train back was rammed but the journey flew by .

Bolton Youth in great voice.

Roll on next Saturday. 

Glaring omission-  Swedish Al was with us . 

• Site Supporter
On 25/01/2022 at 08:12, MickyD said:

That may have happened but i thought he'd started playing in on-line tournaments. Fake money at first but realised it isn't realistic. He then took the plunge and started playing for real money.

He was a shark at shoot pontoon as well as I found to my cost a few times. 

• The topic was unpinned
On 25/01/2022 at 03:06, barryk32 said:

Top top bloke is Zozzy.

Zozzy introduced me to this forum. We met on the way down to Southampton  for a Monday night game. I think we won 1-0. We sat next to each other on the club coach, both travelling alone. Plenty of Worthers around. It was wonderful when he rang his wife as we were driving through Birmingham to say, after a mini conversation “by the way” he would be home late as he was on the coach to Southampton. I can’t imagine the grief Id get 😂

Edited by Henrick_Pedigol