Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury.


leigh white
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

Fearless mate young lads walking through home fans singing “Shrewsbury get battered” not the best thing to do but no fucks given 

Haha it was the same at the taxi rank in the car park afterwards, young lads sticking their heads into car windows as they drove by shouting Bolton songs at the drivers 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Easy to forget that Port Vale was nearly 5 years ago now, pretty much another generation of young fans will have come through since then and had very little to cheer about away from home!

My mates lad has been to loads of away game and never seen us win.

He jumped over the barriers when we scored 🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

You’ve obviously not done enough away days pal, cos i’ve seen dozens of late winners  for us - it just happens that i’ve seen even more late goals scored against us.

If you have seen dozens could you list just 2 dozen of the 89th minute or later away winners you have seen.I saw the mentioned goal at Shrewsbury and Worthington's at Old Trafford in 1979, Caldwell's at Wigan in the Freight Rover but i've only just woke up and can't think of many more..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Fearless mate young lads walking through home fans singing “Shrewsbury get battered” not the best thing to do but no fucks given 

Do you reckon they'll do it on Saturday when 5000 Sunderland fans come out after the game?

I reckon the fear factor might go up a notch or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

If you have seen dozens could you list just 2 dozen of the 89th minute or later away winners you have seen.I saw the mentioned goal at Shrewsbury and Worthington's at Old Trafford in 1979, Caldwell's at Wigan in the Freight Rover but i've only just woke up and can't think of many more..

Loads over the years, just not many in recent years, but  i’ve been going for a long long time.

We are talkin’ about Bolton right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

belting day a cracking little away end. been to several away games with miss fester this season, baring rochdale in freight rover,she hasnt seen an away goal and only 1 draw, so to say she was happy yesterday was an understatment, 

roll on morecambe away actually going on the train for a few lightales.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

If you have seen dozens could you list just 2 dozen of the 89th minute or later away winners you have seen.I saw the mentioned goal at Shrewsbury and Worthington's at Old Trafford in 1979, Caldwell's at Wigan in the Freight Rover but i've only just woke up and can't think of many more..

Southend, WBA, Bournemouth first 3 off the top of my head.  I've seen more last minute goals away against us than for us though.  Felt like every away game I went to in the 80s we conceded with the last kick of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

My mates lad has been to loads of away game and never seen us win.

He jumped over the barriers when we scored 🤣🤣

We were on third row up right behind the goal and there was a kid on the row behind us no older than 8 or 9 and he vaulted over the seats to run about celebrating with the best of them at the bottom, proper made my day 😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

You’ve obviously not done enough away days pal, cos i’ve seen dozens of late winners  for us - it just happens that i’ve seen even more late goals scored against us.

Maybe there have been more than 5 I've seen, I need to check!  Last one was Wildschutt at WBA, still makes me smile thinking of it.  That donkey managed it again in the next away game, at Reading.  And Yourri's winner at Everton, 2004.  Tony Caldwell Freight Rover at Wigan, absolute carnage.  They are few and far between, definitely none since August 2018 in front of fans, before yesterday.  New thread alert.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Maybe there have been more than 5 I've seen, I need to check!  Last one was Wildschutt at WBA, still makes me smile thinking of it.  That donkey managed it again in the next away game, at Reading.  And Yourri's winner at Everton, 2004.  Tony Caldwell Freight Rover at Wigan, absolute carnage.  They are few and far between, definitely none since August 2018 in front of fans, before yesterday.  New thread alert.

Joe Mason v Huddersfield in an absolutely nothing game at the end of the mid-table champ season (still a quality celebration).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great day. Not a brilliant match but what an ending. Bodies everywhere.

Thought Fossey was MoM myself, I like his directness & the fact he’s always on his toes not heels so he seems to win a lot of 2nd balls.

I’ve no issue with Doyle but Charles will give us so much more. Love the way he rats about and doesn’t give them a break at all
 

Another clean sheet as well; glad Evatt realised a new keeper actually was a priority 😀

Was really odd walking back to town after; like a ghost town. I may have took a wrong turning as it took me 6,000 steps to get back to the Post Office boozer in the centre 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought Noone at Barnsley was a winner for abiut 45 seconds, that was a pretty wild celebration too.

Wimbledon away in L1, Stoke in PL sure we scored a couple late on once. Struggling to think of others recent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Who is the lad in the beige jacket not moving a muscle?

Gonzo,  him in the hoodie?     If so,   I thought that was a bit strange .     Prob someone took their red mate to a game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Gotta love a last minute winner away from home, we were 2nd best fot the majority of the game, Santos and Jones both outstanding, Charles deserved his goal, he must be a nightmare to mark, he's always niggling away at opposition players and it was a too class strike.

Hopefully that will send us on a streak, probably to late for the play-off, .but you never know.

Good to see a few off here, especially Leigh Wite who called me a right wing bastard, all good fun though 😁

Ha ha,  a brilliant day out yesterday in the outstanding town. 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

Great day. Not a brilliant match but what an ending. Bodies everywhere.

Thought Fossey was MoM myself, I like his directness & the fact he’s always on his toes not heels so he seems to win a lot of 2nd balls.

I’ve no issue with Doyle but Charles will give us so much more. Love the way he rats about and doesn’t give them a break at all
 

Another clean sheet as well; glad Evatt realised a new keeper actually was a priority 😀

Was really odd walking back to town after; like a ghost town. I may have took a wrong turning as it took me 6,000 steps to get back to the Post Office boozer in the centre 🤣

Completely agree on Fossey, he still makes us dangerous down that right wing, even though he’s essentially playing as a lone wing back, rather than with a full back.

For me the wings are definitely the compromise with the new formation. We have less options and are less dangerous attacking down the wings as we are relying on only Fossey (who manages very well) or only John (who hasn’t seemed as comfortable as yet) to attack. Jones and Johnston often become the available option in this formation, and Jones is far more comfortable with the ball at his feet, being a natural full-back, than Johnston looks - who lost the ball quite a few times in the first half trying to find a pass into midfield - but it definitely makes us look better defensively and we always seem to have a covering CB.

I still think that if we strengthen in CM, if Dempsey comes in and we look really strong in there, then 4231 suits better and would utilise Dapo to his best (which is essential as he’s our best player) - I also don’t think that 2 up front has exactly proven that it will translate into loads of chances, but maybe that changes with JDB v Baka - but then you can’t exactly argue with 2 wins out of 2 using this formation.

Interesting to see how it goes, and it’s nice to have options brought about with a stronger squad, as long as we keep winning then I don’t really give a toss what formation we play.

Edited by Eddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Casino unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.