Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jardel

Zico

• Moderators

Ex-Bolton striker admits 'seven day cocaine binge' before Premier League move

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/bolton-mario-jardel-cocaine-binge-25959632

Ex-Bolton striker Mario Jardel has admitted to “staying awake for seven days” during a cocaine binge the year before he joined the then-Premier League side

Wasn’t he spotted swigging Rum and smoking Cuban cigars in the run up to a Bolton game just before he left? I was there that night he scored in front of the kop, think that’s only thing he did for the first team, however watched in the reserves a few times and he was prolific despite being about 2 stone overweight. Absolute loon he was. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
11 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not quite, 3 goals in the league Cup the year we got to the final.

Without those we wouldn't have made it there, so fair play to the rotund rebel.

I meant he was great in that game best I saw him play and probably celebrated by eating his weight in McDonald’s 

52 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

His goal record was ridiculous 6/7 seasons

Never forget playing City away and they were all wolf whistling him because of his mincing run.

Think we got battered that game too. Not pleasant

1996-2003 : Porto/Galatasaray/Sporting Lisbon : 237 goals in 237 games.

• Members
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was a great night took a dyed in wool scouser from work to the game, he was gutted. 🤣

Yeah I’ve had some shit trips to anfield but that was right up there. Youri was on another level 

City away the 6-2 I've got a memory of everyone laughing when he waddled on.. was in Corks I think it was called and he was in there, barstaff said he went in there losds getting pissed as he knew the management.. to be fair if he was doing 7 days worth of coke he was pretty good considering. 

He'd obviously had talent. He'd equally obviously lost the plot, and drive, and fitness. I recall suggestions of mentak health issues regarding his wife kicking him out ... chicked & egg I guess. Sam must have felt he could turn the deterioration round with his own brand of tlc.

If he'd succeeded it would have been phenominal. These stories suggest it would have taken more.

But my abiding memories are him helping us win v Liverpool at Anfield ... and that mincing run. I recall one match when he chased for a pass, realised he wasn't going to get to it and then sort of skipped to a halt, arms flailing like an 8 yr old girl. Even the home fans were cat-calling him.

14 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

City away the 6-2 I've got a memory of everyone laughing when he waddled on.. was in Corks I think it was called and he was in there, barstaff said he went in there losds getting pissed as he knew the management.. to be fair if he was doing 7 days worth of coke he was pretty good considering. 

I Looked at the score of that game earlier. I knew we got dicked but I didn't recall it being that bad 😂

Mind you i was a right state that day

The only reason he signed for us was because he'd already lost the plot.  Only 2 seasons prior to signing for us he'd scored 42 in 30 for Sporting. I think he got an injury and then spent 6 months sat on a beach in Brazil eating pies. It was a punt from Allardyce, one of the ones that didn't pay off unfortunately.

For every Djorkaeff, Okocha and Campo there was a Jardel, Ba and Salva Ballesta.

3 hours ago, DazBob said:

The only reason he signed for us was because he'd already lost the plot.  Only 2 seasons prior to signing for us he'd scored 42 in 30 for Sporting. I think he got an injury and then spent 6 months sat on a beach in Brazil eating pies. It was a punt from Allardyce, one of the ones that didn't pay off unfortunately.

For every Djorkaeff, Okocha and Campo there was a Jardel, Ba and Salva Ballesta.

That is what happens when you are shopping in the last chance saloon, and the 3 aforementioned were worth the pain of watching the 3 latter.  

6 hours ago, Horwich said:

Top 5 players ever to play for us?

(Obviously not going off his performance for the whites)

Love this sort of musing I do. 

For me - 

1. Djorkaeff

2. Hierro

3. Anelka

4. Okocha

5. Jardel

Maybe just sneaks in, obviously hugely prolific in Portugal and Turkey, but I was torn between him, Borgetti, Jussi and Speed.

Obviously, missing a lot of the players from the glory days but impossible really to compare them. Otherwise Nat is #1.