Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe (A)

Leyther_Matt

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I agree. Nothing should ever be thrown full stop and the people who do it are utter bellends. The point I am making is that fans have given stick to players since the game began. I don't recall Neil Pointon having a strop when the Bolton fans gave him horrible abuse in that FA Cup Quarter final v Oldham in 1994. He let his professionalism do the talking and didnt come over to the Paddock cupping his ears like a prima donna when McCarthy scored their horrible late winner  Don't remember Jeff Chandler jigging in front of the Bolton fans when Derby scored their winner on the day when meat pies were lobbed at him from the Manny Road North in his Rams days. He had the last laugh with the win.

When its racist its out of order, of course. Players are dead right to call that out. When its just general stick then players have to be thick-skinned and professional enough to get on with it. Part of getting a result away from home is being able to deal with a stadium that is 80 per cent or more against you. Part of being a fan is trying to eke out an advantage for your team. Bury's fans used to mercilessly exploit the fact that Dave Felgate consistently made bad errors against them - and he kept making them! But he didn't start giving it back or having a paddy about it front of them. 

Leighton James was an example of a player who got a reputation for getting distracted by the opposition fans and his performance suffering as a result. It got played on. Part and parcel in my book, it was up to him to be more professional.

There's a bit of chicken and egg about this debate. That old "you started it" line that accompanies any argument. But just as people have a responsibility not to chuck stuff so do professional footballers have a responsibility to let their feet do the talking unless the abuse crosses a line like racism does.

But just to be clear - if stuff is getting chucked, a player is right to shop it to the ref and fans surrounding the culprit should do the right thing too! 

What you and I may see as  “general stick” may not be seen that way by a another person/player. You can’t say racist abuse is out of order then say you need to be thick skinned for other abuse 

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

Good article, and for once some sensible and reasoned comments on the BN comments section too (no idiots on for a change).  I've got a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach about what our away days have become (and no I wasn't there yesterday), and what might be in store at the likes of Wigan and Crewe.  Even though the vast majority of fans are salt of the earth, just there to support and have a bit of fun and are great to share an afternoon with.  Its getting overshadowed by the dickheads and whilst its not putting me off going just yet, its putting me off taking anyone that's new to it, I wouldn't be responsible for exposing them to a couple of hours with the idiots, especially at these small grounds where its difficult to avoid them.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, royal white said:

What you and I may see as  “general stick” may not be seen that way by a another person/player. You can’t say racist abuse is out of order then say you need to be thick skinned for other abuse 

There’s a line and there are those who know where the line is and which side of it they want to be. 

I wonder if knowing where it is and which side you want to be comes with experience of life. 

We’re definitely in a different era than the one where black footballers weren’t viewed as ‘the norm’ and were treated differently. I never saw a white player having bananas thrown on the pitch to choruses of grown men shouting monkey chants. As was discussed on EFL show last night, what kind of person can give stick to a player for his skin colour whilst also supporting the players of similar colour but who just happen to have the right football shirt on?

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Good article, and for once some sensible and reasoned comments on the BN comments section too (no idiots on for a change).  I've got a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach about what our away days have become (and no I wasn't there yesterday), and what might be in store at the likes of Wigan and Crewe.  Even though the vast majority of fans are salt of the earth, just there to support and have a bit of fun and are great to share an afternoon with.  Its getting overshadowed by the dickheads and whilst its not putting me off going just yet, its putting me off taking anyone that's new to it, I wouldn't be responsible for exposing them to a couple of hours with the idiots, especially at these small grounds where its difficult to avoid them.

Fuckin ell, I’d love to take some of my PNE neighbours to one of our aways, show ‘em a proper day out.

9 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Well they'd have only brought 500 anyway,so no real loss.

If it prevents men,wimmin and children being terrified for their lives at big nasty Bolton, then let them crack on.

They appear not to be very worldly-wise in Morecambe. Probably the politest way of putting it. 

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Unless Michael Haslam is the lone pitch invader, and he looked a fucking lot older than 29, I’m wondering how you only Nick one person for around 100 going on the pitch.

Hes been carted off after we scored on one of vids

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

That rings a bell. 

In terms of dishing out grief the Manny Road terrace was in a league of its own. Ask the bloke who came out with a microphone at half time!

I was there when someone threw a turnip at Graham Taylor (long time poster off here, not so much now though)

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

There’s a line and there are those who know where the line is and which side of it they want to be. 

I wonder if knowing where it is and which side you want to be comes with experience of life. 

We’re definitely in a different era than the one where black footballers weren’t viewed as ‘the norm’ and were treated differently. I never saw a white player having bananas thrown on the pitch to choruses of grown men shouting monkey chants. As was discussed on EFL show last night, what kind of person can give stick to a player for his skin colour whilst also supporting the players of similar colour but who just happen to have the right football shirt on?

Yes agree with that however it’s the abuse that most see as ok, is it really ok? We don’t know how 100s in some case 1000s of fans shouting abuse at one player will affect a player, regardless of colour. 

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

I just think we need to stop analysing every single bit of mischief or event from every single away day.

Move on ffs. 

Agreed--- Move on

Morecambe are now under an FA investigation and are turning in on themselves. Job well done in my opinion. We've just got a few toe rags being fined.

We need to rock on and get as many points on the board as we can, fk the likes of them.

Edited by Dimron

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Agreed--- Move on

Morecambe are now under an FA investigation and are turning in on themselves. Job well done in my opinion. We've just got a few toe rags being fined.

We need to rock on and get as many points on the board as we can, fk the likes of them.

WE can move on - but it's the Club that have to deal with the aftermath - talking to the police and EFL about what measures they're going to take to prevent it happening again, and all that bollocks.

18 minutes ago, Cheese said:

WE can move on - but it's the Club that have to deal with the aftermath - talking to the police and EFL about what measures they're going to take to prevent it happening again, and all that bollocks.

If it happens at an away ground, is it not the responsibility of the home club?

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

If it happens at an away ground, is it not the responsibility of the home club?

I'm talking about Home games, but I suspect the answer to your question is 'no' anyway. Were BWFC responsible for Wigan fans ripping down the signs in the South stand?

9 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'm talking about Home games, but I suspect the answer to your question is 'no' anyway. Were BWFC responsible for Wigan fans ripping down the signs in the South stand?

Clearly not, but they are responsible for ensuring they have enough resources to stop it happening with the right training, be that stewards or Police.

At the end of the day it is the Police who should be managing any criminality i.e. finding the perpetrators. Not just leaning on the club with a broad brush and saying close the areas we have concerns about

It's akin go telling women not to go out after dark as there's rapists about.

31 minutes ago, victor meldrew said:

i think that a certain person called colin will have a banning order very soon

Saw him in his black T shirt & shorts combo on the edge of pitch after we equalised, absolutely pissed wet through, he must have been fucking freezing.

Can’t see how he was doing much to receive a banning order like.

Edited by Burndens Bogs