Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe (A)


Leyther_Matt
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter

Yesterday was magnificent and will live long in the memories of everyone there despite a poor performance.

Yes we have a few weapons following us but quite frankly I love going to tinpot towns and taking liberties. Long may it continue.

Never a pen and barely deserved a point. Can’t remember last time we played the conditions better than our opponents.

Our club is back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Is a smoke bomb in a stadium more,  or less,  illegal than one in a pub?  Asking for a friend. 

There is stadium/football specific legalisation whereas I’d imagine the lawmakers of the country didn’t think people would be so fucking thick to let off smoke bombs in a pub so didn’t bother noting anything down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time a bottle/lighter gets lobbed on the pitch at a player or the bench there's uproar from righteous people in the football profession and the footballing media. You could call it the "football bubble".

I go along with it 90 per cent. I've never chucked anything on the pitch - not even when pissed up. Even if I felt the urge to do so I know there's CCTV and a chance of a ban and appearance in the magistrates court.

However ... the bit that gets totally overlooked is the goading by players. There seems to be more of a trend than ever for very, very well paid young men to actively goad/thumb their nose at the paying public/working people having scored against their team. Premier League footballers on six-figure sums a week cupping their ears and snarling at shopworkers, NHS staff, office workers. I don't mind wild celebrations in front of your own fans but it is provocative when done yards from the opposition's fans and someone needs to tell them to cut it out and learn some humility and self-awareness.  I have to say I've seen England players doing it in internationals too. 

There's no need to chuck anything on the pitch. But nor is there is a need to rub it in with opposition fans when you've just scored. The message to well paid pro footballers grow up and show respect. Maybe the old bill need to have a word with the PFA/Prem/EFL/FA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Yesterday was magnificent and will live long in the memories of everyone there despite a poor performance.

Yes we have a few weapons following us but quite frankly I love going to tinpot towns and taking liberties. Long may it continue.

Never a pen and barely deserved a point. Can’t remember last time we played the conditions better than our opponents.

Our club is back

I do much prefer going to these places rather than some of the ones we've seen over and over in Championship. If we could just win the league but not go up every season for a few years, that would be grand 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:
Can you use smoke bombs in public UK?
 
 
public place. Is it an offence for an adult to have a firework in their possession if they are not going to a match? No, it is not illegal for a person over 18 years to possess a firework, flare or smoke bomb, but it is illegal for a person over 18 years to let off the firework, flare or smoke bomb in a public place.

Then I guess it could be argued the football ground isn't public... maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being pissed off about people not chucking coins and lighters at players isn't being part of a righteous football bubble, it's just not being a dick.

Totally agree about the goading from players though, definitely seeing more of it in games this season. I wasn't there but I believe Fleetwood was the worst for this? People aren't going to just stand there and say "yeah fair play" when a player is taking piss right in front of them, fuck do they expect?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Being pissed off about people not chucking coins and lighters at players isn't being part of a righteous football bubble, it's just not being a dick.

Totally agree about the goading from players though, definitely seeing more of it in games this season. I wasn't there but I believe Fleetwood was the worst for this? People aren't going to just stand there and say "yeah fair play" when a player is taking piss right in front of them, fuck do they expect?!

The fleetwood lad wanted it big time wasn’t just banter he was pumped up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

The fleetwood lad wanted it big time wasn’t just banter he was pumped up 

This is kind of why I want to stay down at least another season so we can go back to these shitey teams that have had results against us and wipe the floor with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to the game I thought we were alright first half - Fossey caused them all sorts of problems.

I know what he brought DadBod on but we felt he’d have been better with Dempsey; we seemed to lose a bit in midfield 2nd half and then also lose a bit of our width 2nd half. 

Good to come away from somewhere like that (incidents aside) against a physical team, in horrendous conditions, and not get beat

Feel it will bring our players together even more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

On their goal, I think evatt will be gently mentioning to dempsey that when you are down to 10 men, you shouldnt be passed by 2 other midfielders trying to recover the situation

Especially when youre comparatively fresh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Casino said:

On their goal, I think evatt will be gently mentioning to dempsey that when you are down to 10 men, you shouldnt be passed by 2 other midfielders trying to recover the situation

Especially when youre comparatively fresh

Aye, the lazy cunt...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Every time a bottle/lighter gets lobbed on the pitch at a player or the bench there's uproar from righteous people in the football profession and the footballing media. You could call it the "football bubble".

I go along with it 90 per cent. I've never chucked anything on the pitch - not even when pissed up. Even if I felt the urge to do so I know there's CCTV and a chance of a ban and appearance in the magistrates court.

However ... the bit that gets totally overlooked is the goading by players. There seems to be more of a trend than ever for very, very well paid young men to actively goad/thumb their nose at the paying public/working people having scored against their team. Premier League footballers on six-figure sums a week cupping their ears and snarling at shopworkers, NHS staff, office workers. I don't mind wild celebrations in front of your own fans but it is provocative when done yards from the opposition's fans and someone needs to tell them to cut it out and learn some humility and self-awareness.  I have to say I've seen England players doing it in internationals too. 

There's no need to chuck anything on the pitch. But nor is there is a need to rub it in with opposition fans when you've just scored. The message to well paid pro footballers grow up and show respect. Maybe the old bill need to have a word with the PFA/Prem/EFL/FA. 

Their keeper got dogs abuse. He replied, at first, with winks and general nothingness. Players giving it back I have no issues with. But then things were thrown at him. That should not happen no matter what. He milked the situation to an absolute maximum to the ref. IMO he's a dick for that but the idiots throwing stuff are bigger dicks.

Being goaded is not an excuse to throw shit. I didn't, and neither did you. What makes us different from the ones who did?

Edited by Underpants
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

From Facebook:

(Edit - credit Steve Whittleston)

Bolton Wanderers played Morecambe today. Now, it wasn’t the most exciting and complete performance by any stretch. Bolton registered only one shot on target, their midfield struggled to get a hold of the game, they went down to ten men via a Ricardo Santos red card - which was almost as confusing as Morecambe’s iFollow commentary, and James Trafford saved the resulting penalty. 

But, with that one shot on target, Amadou Bakayoko scooped the ball and slotted it home in the 104th minute. 

The away end erupted, whilst Bakayoko ran to the halfway line to make his feelings known to the home fans besides the dugout. It’s hard to understand exactly what was said which caused both sets of players to leave the field and halt play, besides what Ian Evatt referred to in his post-game interview, which he said were comments of a racial nature. 

Evatt mentioned how himself, his staff and his players endured a ‘barrage of abuse’ from the first minute onwards. But besides that, matters only escalated. 

“Then the worst of all remarks, a racist remark for then for somebody to stand up and do something about it,” Evatt said via Jack Dearden. 

“I’m emotional, this game sometimes never fails to disappoint me.

“They’ve really come together (the players). They’ve managed to get something out of this game the way we stuck together. 

“If one of us gets abuse we all get abuse, until this gets stamped out of the game it never fails really to disappoint me.”

That’s my manager. Right there. Forget about the result, forget about his tactics, forget about rating players out of 10. Sometimes, there’s shit that’s bigger than kicking a ball around a pitch for 90 minutes, and whilst the late equaliser was brilliant and it felt like a win, that’s not the most important thing to take from today. 

So what do we take from today? The fact that our manager is a great human being above all else; that he is class personified. For him to call out abhorrent abuse that he has said he witnessed. To protect his players. To instruct them to leave the field to avoid further distress.

A man leads by example. His actions top everything else, so for the players to listen to him, to return to the pitch, and to then showcase the character needed to take home a point speaks more about Ian Evatt as a human being than Ian Evatt the football manager. Forget the tripe about the Morecambe commentators accusing him of ‘gamesmanship’ after his players left the field, because that’s what it is - tripe. 

I’m so proud of the lads today. I’m so proud of Ian Evatt. I’m so proud of this football club and how far it’s come in such a short space of time. 

The fans throwing objects at the Morecambe goalkeeper aren’t in the right, which was something Evatt also alluded to. But it’s important not to group all Bolton fans under that same umbrella, just as it’s as important to realise that some Morecambe fans also called out the alleged abuse on display, according to The Bolton News’ Marc Iles. 

There are no winners when someone is victimised for the colour of their skin. None. 

The alleged incident and aftermath that unfolded has tarnished what should have been a simple game of football. We’re in 2022, and yet we’re still living in the dark ages. 

You don’t need me to tell you how racism is the root of all evil. Just let me express again that tonight, we should all appreciate that the man leading our ship is Bolton Wanderers personified. 

We are a better team with Ian Evatt at the helm. A man who will put his players before himself and will do the right thing. 

That’s my manager. And that’s my fucking football team.

Edited by MickyD
Add credit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the performance - Dempsey had a poor game, can't judge him properly off half an hour in shit conditions but as Casino mentioned, the fact he gave the ball away and then failed to track back when he had fresh legs and we were down to 10 men was fucking disgraceful - not a good first impression in my eyes. The whole team were off it however. We didn't "hunt in packs"/"defend as a unit" as much as we had done in the previous 4 games. Add to that the conditions prevented us from playing our natural game. A point isn't a bad result though considering everything that went against us.

On behaviour of our fans - the club can make all the statements they want to but if you go to a game and throw coins/bottles I can't see you being the sort of person that's going to heed the advice of a club statement. Especially if it's yoof going to games with their mates and no parental guidance.

On players goading fans - It's not sportsmanlike but I think shithousery is a great part of football that sets it apart from other sports. Everyone loves it when Dapo puts a birthday hat on in front of the Ipswich fans, or Morley cups his ears to the Sunderland fans. If you're against Bolton players doing it as much as opposition players then fair enough. I think Paul's right though that it's more of a trend now than it used to be and it is provocative. There will always be fans who react to that especially when boozed up and relevant authorities should take 'goading' into account if they hand out any punishments regarding fan behaviour.

Edited by Mantra
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.