Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe (A)

Leyther_Matt

30 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Their keeper got dogs abuse. He replied, at first, with winks and general nothingness. Players giving it back I have no issues with. But then things were thrown at him. That should not happen no matter what. He milked the situation to an absolute maximum to the ref. IMO he's a dick for that but the idiots throwing stuff are bigger dicks.

Being goaded is not an excuse to throw shit. I didn't, and neither did you. What makes us different from the ones who did?

I agree. Nothing should ever be thrown full stop and the people who do it are utter bellends. The point I am making is that fans have given stick to players since the game began. I don't recall Neil Pointon having a strop when the Bolton fans gave him horrible abuse in that FA Cup Quarter final v Oldham in 1994. He let his professionalism do the talking and didnt come over to the Paddock cupping his ears like a prima donna when McCarthy scored their horrible late winner  Don't remember Jeff Chandler jigging in front of the Bolton fans when Derby scored their winner on the day when meat pies were lobbed at him from the Manny Road North in his Rams days. He had the last laugh with the win.

When its racist its out of order, of course. Players are dead right to call that out. When its just general stick then players have to be thick-skinned and professional enough to get on with it. Part of getting a result away from home is being able to deal with a stadium that is 80 per cent or more against you. Part of being a fan is trying to eke out an advantage for your team. Bury's fans used to mercilessly exploit the fact that Dave Felgate consistently made bad errors against them - and he kept making them! But he didn't start giving it back or having a paddy about it front of them. 

Leighton James was an example of a player who got a reputation for getting distracted by the opposition fans and his performance suffering as a result. It got played on. Part and parcel in my book, it was up to him to be more professional.

There's a bit of chicken and egg about this debate. That old "you started it" line that accompanies any argument. But just as people have a responsibility not to chuck stuff so do professional footballers have a responsibility to let their feet do the talking unless the abuse crosses a line like racism does.

But just to be clear - if stuff is getting chucked, a player is right to shop it to the ref and fans surrounding the culprit should do the right thing too! 

20 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Posted by a Morecambe director, no less (he’s removed that bit from his bio but, well, Google). No wonder the racist idiot(s) feel as though they’re in a safe place to engage in their caveman activities if this is the attitude from the top. 

It's still on his twitter bio...

James Wakefield
@JamesTWakefield
Fan & Director - Morecambe FC; North Lancashire’s finest football club

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Traf said:

Fan & Director of a tinpot outfit and shares his surname with a Yorkshire shithole.

I'm currently in that shithole, too.

Song thread…

Oh James Wakefield (oh James Wakefield)

Is suck a cunt (is such a cunt)

Oh James Wakefieldis such a cunt.

He’s got a name like a Yorkshire shithole

Oh James Wakefield is such a cunt!

One of my first footballing memories is Super John running to the Embankment and the away fans (who'd been giving him shit all game for being a fatty) in celebration lifting his shirt and playing the belly bongos.

Players giving shit back has always been part of the game. Then again I've always been appreciative of a good shithouse so any players giving as good as they've got have always earned my respect.

On the game thought we were awful and the game was drifting into nothing.

The penalty should never have given and I wonder how much of what happened next would have happened without that call and the red card 

The Santa chap has posted he said nothing racist but regularly has 'banter' with the aways teams officials. As a Bolton fan I immediately just think the banter has crossed a line, Morecambe fans won't. Plenty saying XYZ did not hear anything but that is not proof nothing was said. Evatt can be a prick but others like Baptiste also looked pissed so I am pretty something was said but 'what' that was very few can really know.

Chucking shit at players is stupid and will no doubt lead to a ban. The idea home disabled fans took shit is worse. The pitch 'invasion' was nothing at all. 

20:00 train to Lancaster was lively in a good way. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, frank_spencer said:

One of my first footballing memories is Super John running to the Embankment and the away fans (who'd been giving him shit all game for being a fatty) in celebration lifting his shirt and playing the belly bongos.

Players giving shit back has always been part of the game. Then again I've always been appreciative of a good shithouse so any players giving as good as they've got have always earned my respect.

Something in that, but I guess it's how they go about it.

Patting your belly in response to "fat" accusations is one thing.

Running close up to fans and giving it the big un, sometimes for little reason is something else.

Just some common sense required.

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

The Santa chap has posted he said nothing racist but regularly has 'banter' with the aways teams officials. As a Bolton fan I immediately just think the banter has crossed a line, Morecambe fans won't. Plenty saying XYZ did not hear anything but that is not proof nothing was said. Evatt can be a prick but others like Baptiste also looked pissed so I am pretty something was said but 'what' that was very few can really know.

Think the most telling thing was the reaction of the Morecambe manager, going mad at his own fans. Shouldn’t be having fans so close to the dugout anyway IMO. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Ani said:

Chucking shit at players is stupid and will no doubt lead to a ban. The idea home disabled fans took shit is worse. The pitch 'invasion' was nothing at all. 

Chucking stuff at opposition players/fans is eventually going to get us a fine, a points deduction, or closure of ESL south corner. Probably a combination of the above. The thick cunts doing it aren't the only ones who'll suffer the consequences.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Think the most telling thing was the reaction of the Morecambe manager, going mad at his own fans. Shouldn’t be having fans so close to the dugout anyway IMO. 

Good point. He's clearly hear something. 

Iles also saying other home supporters were pointing at culprits. 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Posted by a Morecambe director, no less (he’s removed that bit from his bio but, well, Google). No wonder the racist idiot(s) feel as though they’re in a safe place to engage in their caveman activities if this is the attitude from the top. 

His logic is flawed to a concerning extent.

He's insinuating that because Evatt/Bolton/BoltonFans have a reputation (of something unknown... lying? causing problems?) that he shouldn't believe the claims of racist abuse.

I could just as easily say "I once heard a bully say something racist on the playground, me and my friends went to the teacher and told them what he said and the bully got expelled. I learned a lot that day."

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

I agree. Nothing should ever be thrown full stop and the people who do it are utter bellends. The point I am making is that fans have given stick to players since the game began. I don't recall Neil Pointon having a strop when the Bolton fans gave him horrible abuse in that FA Cup Quarter final v Oldham in 1994. He let his professionalism do the talking and didnt come over to the Paddock cupping his ears like a prima donna when McCarthy scored their horrible late winner  Don't remember Jeff Chandler jigging in front of the Bolton fans when Derby scored their winner on the day when meat pies were lobbed at him from the Manny Road North in his Rams days. He had the last laugh with the win.

When its racist its out of order, of course. Players are dead right to call that out. When its just general stick then players have to be thick-skinned and professional enough to get on with it. Part of getting a result away from home is being able to deal with a stadium that is 80 per cent or more against you. Part of being a fan is trying to eke out an advantage for your team. Bury's fans used to mercilessly exploit the fact that Dave Felgate consistently made bad errors against them - and he kept making them! But he didn't start giving it back or having a paddy about it front of them. 

Leighton James was an example of a player who got a reputation for getting distracted by the opposition fans and his performance suffering as a result. It got played on. Part and parcel in my book, it was up to him to be more professional.

There's a bit of chicken and egg about this debate. That old "you started it" line that accompanies any argument. But just as people have a responsibility not to chuck stuff so do professional footballers have a responsibility to let their feet do the talking unless the abuse crosses a line like racism does.

But just to be clear - if stuff is getting chucked, a player is right to shop it to the ref and fans surrounding the culprit should do the right thing too! 

Good post Paul.

Sorry to be a pedantic git but I'll not be able to sleep if I don't point out one tiny flaw in it.  Darren Beckford scored that goal in the quarter final. 

2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Good post Paul.

Sorry to be a pedantic git but I'll not be able to sleep if I don't point out one tiny flaw in it.  Darren Beckford scored that goal in the quarter final. 

Aye you're reet.

I think McCarthy scored in the league at Burnden a year or two later in a 2-2 draw. They'd come from 2-0 down. Joe Royle grinning all over his chops on the bench. Funnily enough I think he'd be getting stick from the Manny Road regulars. But then they all did.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Aye you're reet.

I think McCarthy scored in the league at Burnden a year or two later in a 2-2 draw. They'd come from 2-0 down. Joe Royle grinning all over his chops on the bench. Funnily enough I think he'd be getting stick from the Manny Road regulars. But then they all did.

They did indeed get stick from Manny Rd North... or turnips.

Wasn't it Now Royle who congratulated Bolton on their generosity for allowing the local lunatic asylum to send so msg of their patients to stand behind the away bench? 

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

They did indeed get stick from Manny Rd North... or turnips.

Wasn't it Now Royle who congratulated Bolton on their generosity for allowing the local lunatic asylum to send so msg of their patients to stand behind the away bench? 

That rings a bell. 

In terms of dishing out grief the Manny Road terrace was in a league of its own. Ask the bloke who came out with a microphone at half time!

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I just think we need to stop analysing every single bit of mischief or event from every single away day.

Move on ffs. 

I think you need to be more concerned with young’n wanting to go to Gillingham, he’s all in 🤣

• Site Supporter

On the field McAteer featured in a 2-2 draw with Oldham Athletic at Burnden Park — Paul Bernard and Sean McCarthy scoring second half goals to grab a point for Joe Royle’s men after Mixu Paatelainen and David Lee had given Wanderers what appeared to be a commanding 2-0 half-time lead.

Royle was happy with a point but less than happy with the behaviour of a group of fans behind the subs bench.

During the game the Latics boss seemed to make light of verbal exchanges with spectators in the Manchester Road terrace, but after the game, he complained: “That was a nice touch by Bolton, letting the local asylum in to stand behind the visiting bench.

“I’ve never seen so many misfits in my life.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/4682755.sporting-memories-sam-quits-county-for-bolton-return/

19 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Unless Michael Haslam is the lone pitch invader, and he looked a fucking lot older than 29, I’m wondering how you only Nick one person for around 100 going on the pitch.

They haven’t they’ve nicked a load reading that. He’s probably owned up to it and the others have gone no comment. Sure there will be plenty getting bans from it.  Sign of the times