Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (a)

L/H White

• Members
7 hours ago, Popeyedoyle said:

Deleting his account and creating a new one I would think!

I fucking hope not. What a fucking tool he was.

Anyway, thinking about positive things. What a win! Winning becomes a habit. Starting to feel like a runaway goods train going down a steep incline.

Away support superb as usual.

Oh and EFL on Quest gave an interesting stat.

In 6 of the last 7 games we've scored in the last 9 minutes.

Ipswich (Dapo 81)

Shrewsbury (Charles 89)

Sunderland (Batth OG 85 and John 88)

Morecambe (Bakayoko 90 +14)

Charlton (Aimson 83)

Oxford (Bakayoko 86)

Only one we didn't do it was Cambridge where Dapo scored in 70th minute

9 hours ago, paulhanley said:

As an Oxfordshire resident this past 20 years I'm more than happy tonight 

Oxford fans are salt of the earth on the whole. Never had a minute's grief with them.

Helps that they've beaten us only once in 38 years I suppose. A record cheerfully maintained today! 

Great day! 

Got talking to a Bolton fan, an old bloke on the bus back to the city centre.  He said he lived in Abingdon and knew of around 30 Bolton fans living in the area.  You must be one of them 😉

• Members
7 hours ago, Mantra said:

Oh and EFL on Quest gave an interesting stat.

In 6 of the last 7 games we've scored in the last 9 minutes.

Ipswich (Dapo 81)

Shrewsbury (Charles 89)

Sunderland (Batth OG 85 and John 88)

Morecambe (Bakayoko 90 +14)

Charlton (Aimson 83)

Oxford (Bakayoko 86)

Only one we didn't do it was Cambridge where Dapo scored in 70th minute

I’ve seen Wanderers stats for what IE refers to as the red zone. 
This is 78 minutes onwards. It’s what Barcelona, Bayern Munich, City all do. They will purposely slow the ball down for a few minutes, they get their shape right, they all know their dual roles and they go again like flicking on a switch. They push high and hard, move the ball quicker and more frequent. What they’re doing is stretching those tired legs, pulling apart the team and pushing like they’ve kicked off in the first minute. 
75 minutes in running stats, sprints, pass completion goes down. Wanderers go up while the opposition goes down. Swarm and smother the opponent. That’s why fitness in this side is key. No coincidence we score so many late goals. 

21 minutes ago, Barnstoneworth White said:

Got talking to a Bolton fan, an old bloke on the bus back to the city centre.  He said he lived in Abingdon and knew of around 30 Bolton fans living in the area.  You must be one of them 😉

Yes I've certainly met a couple. Lived just outside Abingdon when first moved here but lived in Oxford ever since. The main problem is United fans. You may not be surprised to learn! 

11 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’ve seen Wanderers stats for what IE refers to as the red zone. 
This is 78 minutes onwards. It’s what Barcelona, Bayern Munich, City all do. They will purposely slow the ball down for a few minutes, they get their shape right, they all know their dual roles and they go again like flicking on a switch. They push high and hard, move the ball quicker and more frequent. What they’re doing is stretching those tired legs, pulling apart the team and pushing like they’ve kicked off in the first minute. 
75 minutes in running stats, sprints, pass completion goes down. Wanderers go up while the opposition goes down. Swarm and smother the opponent. That’s why fitness in this side is key. No coincidence we score so many late goals. 

When and mates had kickabouts as kids we'd play shite on purpose - then shout 'switch' and play like Maradona and Negrete.

• Members

3rd goal is just sexual

Pass to Bod, the control out of his feet the pass out wide. 

The pass from Jones could have split an ants arse,

The cross from The foss and finish from the badmon

Fluid clinical shexy futbal

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Yes I've certainly met a couple. Lived just outside Abingdon when first moved here but lived in Oxford ever since. The main problem is United fans. You may not be surprised to learn! 

Oxford fans were almost as loud as the Bolton fans in that J’s Pool Bar above the cinema/bowling alley when Southampton equalised.

It was great having the chance to mix home and away fans and the opportunity to chat about the thing we have in common. And there didn’t seem to be masses of door staff either. 

Now I get that Oxford fans are genuinely nice people but, in general, so are most Bolton fans. Maybe I missed the “No Dickheads” sign.

Interesting someone feeling the need to thank Bolton fans for keeping their dad company. As L/H White says, send this to Neil.

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

Send this on to Neil the massive bender

11 hours ago, Mantra said:

We won because we battled and took our chances. We also came from behind twice, which is a massive improvement on the start of the season where we folded after going behind at all. 

Agreeing with all that you say, but I was surprised to see that we didn't fold at the start of the season.  First 10 games, we fell behind 8 times (clean sheets in the other 2, we didn't score first once).  We came from behind to win 3 of the 8  (Oxford, Ipswich, Charlton) and drew two 3-3.  Only lost 3 out of 8 games we were losing in.  It was later on that we developed the inability to score away from home.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreeing with all that you say, but I was surprised to see that we didn't fold at the start of the season.  First 10 games, we fell behind 8 times (clean sheets in the other 2, we didn't score first once).  We came from behind to win 3 of the 8  (Oxford, Ipswich, Charlton) and drew two 3-3.  Only lost 3 out of 8 games we were losing in.  It was later on that we developed the inability to score away from home.

That's true. First 10 games we showed promise. It was the next 10-15 that it went to shit.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Yank! Good lord 🤣🤦‍♂️

Wife’s cousins, now Texans, would hate it. They have three daughters, eldest born in Boston, Mass., and two youngest born in Texas. Yank is a word used by the younger two to insult their older sister. 

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

3rd goal is just sexual

Pass to Bod, the control out of his feet the pass out wide. 

The pass from Jones could have split an ants arse,

The cross from The foss and finish from the badmon

Fluid clinical shexy futbal

The 3rd goal is a thing of beauty , must be a contender for our goal of the season.

About all our late goals......no doubt it's partly down to our fitness & tactics, but the quality of our subs must be a big factor.....bringing on Dapo & Bod against tiring defenders must give us a real edge.