Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wages

Ani

Saw this today, Wigan paying almost double our wages makes that 4-0 loss a little easier to stomach. Well, it doesn't but context..... I guess.

Charlton and Doncaster underperforming for their wage bill. Sheffield and Ipswich going to have to make substantial cuts if they don't go up this year, surely.

Cambridge, Accy and MK Dons doing well considering theirs.

We're under performing slightly, but hopefully not for too much longer. Mad how far we've fallen that we apparently pay less wages than Burton, Oxford, Wycombe. 

9 minutes ago, Carlos said:

It's typically a week not game, as you can be playing 4 or 5 in the last week but yep, £100 is believable. But you have to pad your squad out with £5 and a bottle of blue WKD players also.

Confirmed, those who are just happy to say they play semi-pro despite getting paid in cheese and onion pies 

mutley

Edited by Mutley

• Site Supporter

Those wage stats are interesting, though it perhaps doesn't fully reflect clubs' situations. 

We've just come up, having had to scrape a team together last season, and are perhaps only now starting to flesh out our squad.

I do wonder about the likes of Oxford and Rotherham- sustainable or not?

56 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Indeed Burton are another.

Rotherham will be fine so long as they go up this year or next. Once the rewards drop off...

Rotherham are bankrolled by very wealthy owner they have been constantly big spenders in the lower leagues for several years 

4 hours ago, Mutley said:

You would be surprised by the money banded about in north west counties. 100 quid game for some in the north west. 

mutley 

Can’t compare them to the rest of the NW Counties but Macc will be paying much more than £100 a game for most if not all of their squad 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

Rotherham are bankrolled by very wealthy owner they have been constantly big spenders in the lower leagues for several years 

Still have to make ends meet. The recent cases of ffp affecting clubs is testament to that.

They can't keep making spending way beyond their income or the efl will come calling sooner or later. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Rice said:

Can’t compare them to the rest of the NW Counties but Macc will be paying much more than £100 a game for most if not all of their squad 

Without me having to Google, how many home fans have they lost? I’d like to think if Bolton had suffered a similar fate we’d still have a loyal support of 3-4k all making the point about it being passion, not fashion.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Without me having to Google, how many home fans have they lost? I’d like to think if Bolton had suffered a similar fate we’d still have a loyal support of 3-4k all making the point about it being passion, not fashion.

Not sure if that is what was meant by your post but Macc have actually had a ‘better’ crowd than what they were getting in the football league. A lot of time even in league 2 they were scraping 1500 fans on for home games. 

mutley 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Not sure if that is what was meant by your post but Macc have actually had a ‘better’ crowd than what they were getting in the football league. A lot of time even in league 2 they were scraping 1500 fans on for home games. 

mutley 

That’s exactly what I meant. Mac fans will be embracing the fact they’re a massive fish in a small pond. Possibly outnumbering the opposition fans at away games. 

MickyD

Macc's average home gate is 3025 this season.
Averaging 3570 over the last six, which is more than Fleetwood, Accrington and Burton in League 1, ten clubs in League 2 and all bar six (all ex-League) clubs in the National League.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Traf said:

Macc's average home gate is 3025 this season.
Averaging 3570 over the last six, which is more than Fleetwood, Accrington and Burton in League 1, ten clubs in League 2 and all bar six (all ex-League) clubs in the National League.

They also dont want to pay big wages. Tried to sign one of the charnock lads by offering them peanuts in the grand scheme.

51 minutes ago, Horwich said:

They also dont want to pay big wages. Tried to sign one of the charnock lads by offering them peanuts in the grand scheme.

No, they're supplementing the wage structure by "finding jobs" for the players.