Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton (a)

L/H White

Games like tonight and most of last season, in terms of the conditions and styles just makes me more and more glad to see us get out of these shit show games in League 1 and League 2

Problem is until we can actually deal with teams such as Burton, Accrington, Fleetwood etc all who we've been well beaten by away from home, we won't get promoted.

Evatts style is progressive and will get us back up there. But we have to defende better, fuck me, we got some big lads our selves but our air superiority was non existent. Seen a stat at half time that said Burton won 70% of aerial duels. 

Onwards and upwards

Edited by Lostock Whites

Don’t think you can blame Evatt for his team selection , it was logical given the circumstances.We had enough height in the team to repel the arial bombardment but didn’t compete in that area, all the tinpot teams exploit this weakness .We got off to a bad start & they smelt blood.

Maybe we need a Taggart type CB next season to play alongside Santos or Johnston & take that  main responsibility of seeing off the the arial threat.Santos is quality but if he’s isolated by the other teams shithousery no one else seems to be able to win a challenge , although I thought they got lucky with the opening goal.

Three points from two aways is good , hope we can get back in gear Saturday.

28 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Games like tonight and most of last season, in terms of the conditions and styles just makes me more and more glad to see us get out of these shit show games in League 1 and League 2

Problem is until we can actually deal with teams such as Burton, Accrington, Fleetwood etc all who we've been well beaten by away from home, we won't get promoted.

Evatts style is progressive and will get us back up there. But we have to defende better, fuck me, we got some big lads our selves but our air superiority was non existent. Seen a stat at half time that said Burton won 70% of aerial duels. 

Onwards and upwards

Sunderlandways want their post back. 

We've got no god given right to be above where we are. 

4 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Don’t think you can blame Evatt for his team selection , it was logical given the circumstances.We had enough height in the team to repel the arial bombardment but didn’t compete in that area, all the tinpot teams exploit this weakness .We got off to a bad start & they smelt blood.

Maybe we need a Taggart type CB next season to play alongside Santos or Johnston & take that  main responsibility of seeing off the the arial threat.Santos is quality but if he’s isolated by the other teams shithousery no one else seems to be able to win a challenge , although I thought they got lucky with the opening goal.

Three points from two aways is good , hope we can get back in gear Saturday.

Agree with this. 

Away themes have developed over this season.

Small clubs with no fans and a small stadium, coupled with poor weather/pitch surface and we simply don’t win.

Stockport, Fleetwood, Accrington, Hartlepool, Morecambe & now Burton.

My God that list is horrifying…..

Edited by captainmed

3 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Away themes have developed over this season.

Small clubs with no fans and a small stadium, coupled with poor weather/pitch surface and we simply don’t win.

Stockport, Fleetwood, Accrington, Hartlepool, Morecambe & now Burton.

My God that list is horrifying…..

Shocking isn’t it. All the more reason to get out of this league ASAP. I don’t buy into this “it will do us good to have a year in League One to stabilise” or “we’re not ready to go up yet”. 

12 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Sunderlandways want their post back. 

We've got no god given right to be above where we are. 

No we don't, but we have ambitions, so does the players and the manager. And having that motivation and fire will be essential going forward.

Burton will be more than happy playing this type of football and staying in League 1 forever, but we won't be.

However, at this point we have to take hindsight, and be grateful for the amazing position we are in. After all, we are technically a newly promoted club from League 2, and are now 10th with an outside chance of play offs, with a great manager, owner and club that is back on the up, something in 2019 i would've never believed.

Its good to undertake a current situational analysis but also its good to strive for better as I like the manager want better. 

• Site Supporter

The pitch is the pitch. Same for both teams and a thin excuse.

Its just been a bad night with a very different team.

Evatt hasn’t  shirked responsibility, he knows it was poor.

Beat the wombles and it’s all forgotten.

We have to take our medicine tonight, did not defend the set pieces well and paid the price. Hopefully just a blip and we get back on it this Saturday. We have had a fair few of these type of aways so sympathies to anyone who has done Fleetwood, Hartlepool, Plymouth& Burton. That deserves a medal!! COYWM

Edited by Farrelli

It's hard this league. Saturday and then Tuesday week after week. 

Basically if we'd had the squad we do now from the start of the season things would be different.

If we get to the playoffs we are winning it. I think it might be just a stretch this year but that's got nowt to do with the manager or his current players.

Just got back. Awful.

Echo what @captainmed says about results against certain types of team. I said after Fleetwood, this lot can not do it on a wet Tuesday at wherever .

Evatt said in interview we put out our most physical side to match upto them. So we played to their strengths and it showed. They can match us at that, in fact are better at it. But we have matched up how come Declan John was isolated against a big lump, winning throw ins and corners at will ? Eventually MJ was told to move over and it helped. 

Today was a shit day at the office, but it is a blip. 

6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

We have to take our medicine tonight, did not defend the set pieces well and paid the price. Hopefully just a blip and we get back on it this Saturday. We have had a fair few of these type of aways so sympathies to anyone who has done Fleetwood, Hartlepool, Plymouth& Burton. That deserves a medal!! COYWM

Do not forget Accrington. 

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Nonsense this wet Tuesday at wherever.

That low brow idea of 70s kick ball. A cliche repeated without facts.

Facts - Accrington , Fleetwood, Burton. Hartlepool . It is based on how we perform v a certain type of team away from home, not just results -  performances .