Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton (a)

L/H White

• Members
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

100% agree, lose one game and some fans seem to want to go for the managers jugular, no manager gets it right all the time. 

We have some angry fans. Lad next to me last night every thing that wasn’t Brazil 70 football he was going mental. Every misplaced pass every challenge we didn’t win, ball being passed back to the keeper. Screaming like a banshee all night. 

Just now, Rudy said:

We have some angry fans. Lad next to me last night every thing that wasn’t Brazil 70 football he was going mental. Every misplaced pass every challenge we didn’t win, ball being passed back to the keeper. Screaming like a banshee all night. 

There was a lad behind me doing similar, could tell it was half term ffs, some bloke ended up telling him to shut up

Started the season off well. Some injuries and some internal politics led to a terrible run & by turn of the year we were looking downwards, not upwards. A superb January window followed by great results and, after 19 points from 21, we're wondering if we can make up the gap.

Then, one evening where we changed the team too much and let in 3 in 7 minutes against a team with a style that is our Achilles Heel. Not good at all but even then the rot was ended and a decent 2nd half 

I see unity in 95% of the fans and a belief that we're on the right track. Weaknesses are identified and a good summer window should deal with those ... whatever league we're in.

Any fans calling for head to roll should give theirs a shake.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

40 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

You can do ugly & still play

wasn’t Parkinson’s biggest fan but in L1 wheater & beevers did the ugly work and scored a few (beats me how santos hasn’t scored yet) and we still had players who could play

i can think of 4 CBs who have scored against us this season and that’s not including the lad who bagged 2 last night

I agree but we haven't got those players, it's early days but I don't get Dempsey, imo we needed a big ugly dirty shithouse - a poundland Keane or Viera.

1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I agree but we haven't got those players, it's early days but I don't get Dempsey, imo we needed a big ugly dirty shithouse - a poundland Keane or Viera.

Can only work the tools we have

but personally I would be looking at them kind of players in the next window, dempsey hmm early days and he needs to settle but looking like some fanny merchant who was the best player in a very poor gillingham side

11 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

You could say Evatt picked the wrong team, you could say he made to many changes. But the players on the pitch are to blame for a shocking 7 minutes are they switched off 3 times. Nothing to do with the pitch, we just failed to defend.

He picked the defenders he had at his disposal. I guess he could have picked Baptiste but how much difference would that have made. We need upgrades across the backline this summer, it's that simple. We've come out of League 2 and now we are piling up League 1.  Quality and depth in defensive areas hasn't quite caught up with that momentum! 

1 minute ago, tshape said:

Those 7 minutes in the first half were mad, talk about being brought back down to earth. More mad than that for me though are the fans of ours that have some sort of obsession with paedophiles and sex offenders. Makes me fucking cringe.

The Bolton boys are on a bender,
Cristiano / Mason Greenwood is a sex offender?

5 minutes ago, tshape said:

Those 7 minutes in the first half were mad, talk about being brought back down to earth. More mad than that for me though are the fans of ours that have some sort of obsession with paedophiles and sex offenders. Makes me fucking cringe.

Don't forget the obsession with the size of our own players' cocks.

1 minute ago, Traf said:

The Bolton boys are on a bender,
Cristiano / Mason Greenwood is a sex offender?

More calling their keeper a paedo, you touch kids, she was only 6 and all that shite that I heard near us. Not got a problem with giving players stick but it just wound me up last night, don't get it.

When we kicked off last season [Evatt first in charge] we had Santos,  Delaney, Grennidge,Baptiste, Brockbank and Taft in the squad v FGR. We now have Aimson,Santos, Johnston and Baptiste Which leaves us 2 centre backs light.

Guessing we will be saying farewell to Baptiste come summer and Johnston may end replacing MJ long term. We need minimum 2 more this summer who can play in that back three. Would love us to get Iredale from Cambridge and a big no nonsense  centre back organiser think we missed a trick with Jagielka

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Quality and depth in defensive areas hasn't quite caught up with that momentum! 

Great line, which sums it up perfectly. 

And that isn’t just simply saying the defenders we have aren’t good enough in all defensive areas, as there’s lots of good, redeeming features about their play - all of them seem to be quick, read the open play in front of them well, great distribution and really confident on the ball. 

The clean sheets at the beginning of the run is testament that these players and our defensive capabilities are not as bad as some are making out.

But collectively there are some issues with leadership (especially when Jones doesn’t play), physicality and the obvious defending set-plays.

A combination of hard work on the training pitch and some further summer recruitment will address this in time, but for the time being I have confidence in these players and IE to get a lot more wins and some more shut-outs before the seasons out.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

TBF Evatt has come out and accepted some responsibility

"I'm my own biggest critic. I look at myself, I look at the team I picked and maybe I got it wrong."

We have to continually remind ourselves that Evatt isn’t always going to get it right. He’s young and learning too like a lot of his players.

As for set pieces being basic stuff, I’d disagree. I’d say it’s mightily complex, otherwise him and plenty of other managers before him would have it nailed by now. 

And even if you’d have spent the last 3  days just defending set-pieces against your reserves, taking into account the millions of combinations of dynamics, movements and sequences, you still couldn’t have predicted or expected Fossey to leave his marker or that Bod would get out-jumped.

Yes, we can accept it’s an issue. Yes it’s an area for improvement. He’ll know this more than any of us. 

But this is a new, fresh youthful squad with bags of talent, a great, self-critical and self-reflective manager, who sometimes is over-confident, but works hard to address any problems which are evident.

This squad have spent the last 7 games getting a whole lot more right than they have wrong, remarkable really. Every credit to the coaching/scouting staff for first of all identifying the right players and then embedding them into our philosophy, that can’t have been easy. I’m glad that was the initial priority.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an 'Evatt out' post, far from it in fact. Just needs a bit of accountability - from the players as much as the manager - as you say, Evatt has come out and said so to be fair. I know Bod's job isn't necessarily to defend, but a player of his size and aerial ability really has to do better when defending set pieces. Far from the only one on that front really where we hardly have a team of midgets yet consistently get beaten in the air at set pieces.

• Members
23 minutes ago, tshape said:

More calling their keeper a paedo, you touch kids, she was only 6 and all that shite that I heard near us. Not got a problem with giving players stick but it just wound me up last night, don't get it.

Screaming at the linesman “Go home and Nonce your kids”

I thought fuckin hell do you know what you sound like , it’s not funny doesn’t make sense you just sound and make us sound like the biggest bunch of dicks going. And this wasn’t one kid shouting it, this was different grown men ffs 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an 'Evatt out' post, far from it in fact. Just needs a bit of accountability - from the players as much as the manager - as you say, Evatt has come out and said so to be fair. I know Bod's job isn't necessarily to defend, but a player of his size and aerial ability really has to do better when defending set pieces. Far from the only one on that front really where we hardly have a team of midgets yet consistently get beaten in the air at set pieces.

Yeh realise you’re not an Evatt out poster pal 👍

Agree with everything you’ve said there - I have a feeling Evatt will be airing those exact frustrations to his squad this morning. 😊

But more importantly he won’t let that negativity drown their confidence. He’ll very quickly turn his focus to Sat/Tue and have them going into those games with a positive attitude. 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

They're such powder-puffs these days one doubts Evatt can read the riot act, they'd probably spit the dummy and piss off to nonleague to mind the baby or Ireland. We're seriously weak as piss at times.

I think he’s slowly getting the squad right, including players who are more resilient. We saw on that “Born to be a Wanderer” clip, that at half-time Evatt can give out some serious verbals. So yes some can’t handle it (Sarcevic - get rid) but others will respond positively.

For all the shite defending in that 7 minute spell, IE will have gone ballistic at half-time, they actually responded and played quite well in the 2nd half

Edited by desperado

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Screaming at the linesman “Go home and Nonce your kids”

I thought fuckin hell do you know what you sound like , it’s not funny doesn’t make sense you just sound and make us sound like the biggest bunch of dicks going. And this wasn’t one kid shouting it, this was different grown men ffs 

There was a group of lads last night around about where I’ve circled the photo who were gobbing off and trying their best to be witty all night. About as funny as herpes. 
They started by giving Dempsey dog’s abuse for his part in the first goal even though the ball went over him. After that every time Dempsey got the ball and was unsuccessful in passing he got dog’s abuse.

In second half Burton’s keeper was doing a bit of time-wasting; well, he would do, wouldn’t he? The gobby one in the “witty” group shouted down, “Oi, keeper, if you time-waste like that next time I’m gonna come and twat you!”

I called him out. “Bet you don’t you gobby fucker.” 

He didn’t. 

Sorry fella, threatening to twat a player for doing his job, not acceptable and certainly not witty.

If you recognise yourself, let me say you sounded a cunt.

2A4A3CF6-2593-42A0-B04B-C10C362EC13D.jpeg

58 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

a big no nonsense  centre back organiser think we missed a trick with Jagielka

Another trick missed in not signing a player wanting to play at a higher level for much more money than we could afford?

Seem to be missing a few tricks, don't we?