Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (H)

Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bromers said:

Great to hear. I grew up watching Big Sam’s team of Campo, Okocha et al giving bloody noses to the likes of Arsenal, so it was inevitable I’d get hooked.

For the kids watching us over the past 10 years though, it must have been absolutely dire and can’t have inspired many to stick with it.

To be honest,  I'd have thought keeping hold of the likes of you who knew the glory days of Djorkaeff, Okocha, etc., and then suffered the last ten years would be more difficult than keeping hold of someone who only knew the shit days and now it's getting good. 

Agree that Trafford hasn't been properly tested yet. Probably only had to make 3/4 saves since he's been here. At least he has saved them all.

He showed maturity last night beyond his years, when he pretended he was going to hoof the ball as the opposition striker was closing him down, but instead just calmly allowed the ball to roll into the penalty area so he could pick it up.

He also did some nice time wasting at end of the first half against Sunderland. Dribbling the ball into the corner of his area before picking it up at the last second. Forcing Stewart to wearily press him.

Small touches like that are great to see from such a young lad. Not seen Dixon do anything like that.

Ultimately Trafford will be judged on his shot-stopping though but hope the defence keep this to a minimum.

Edited by Mantra

1 hour ago, bromers said:

Great to hear. I grew up watching Big Sam’s team of Campo, Okocha et al giving bloody noses to the likes of Arsenal, so it was inevitable I’d get hooked.

For the kids watching us over the past 10 years though, it must have been absolutely dire and can’t have inspired many to stick with it.

My lad just turned 17 I’ve dragged him along since he was 3 but he can only just remember one or 2 great premier league wins, he’s carried on though despite the shit he’s been through, over the last few weeks I’ve seen his excitement and interest grow massively, never seen him so excited and up for it, absolutely made up for him after what he’s had to endure.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

My lad just turned 17 I’ve dragged him along since he was 3 but he can only just remember one or 2 great premier league wins, he’s carried on though despite the shit he’s been through, over the last few weeks I’ve seen his excitement and interest grow massively, never seen him so excited and up for it, absolutely made up for him after what he’s had to endure.

Aye

my 15 year old lad is desperate for any kind of success.

I started watching us in division 4 so have all the warm fuzzy memories of the 90’s and 2000’s triumphs and largely brilliant times.

We really are due something to get excited about, and we’ve not had anything for almost a decade now.

This team, whilst still very early in its development, has something a bit special about it and is backed by a stable manager and boardroom. Combine these ingredients and I think we may be on the launchpad, counting down slowly at last.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

While we are talking about things that make folk cringe on here, can I just say the phrase "take a bow" makes me wince. Awful saying

Came from Andy Grays Tik a Boo laddie, before he started trying to feel up any piece of skirt with his cunt of mate with the bloated head

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Yoof is 23, he was not alive last time we scored 6 at home in the league. When first came to games it was all Premier League and sulking cos his mum won't let him travel to UEFA away games. 
He is now honestly mad for it, he was explaining on Saturday to Sunderland fans why despite living in Leeds he will always be a Bolton fan. Basically 'because I am' . He went to Shrewsbury without me , he is a lot keener than me, but I enjoy it more because he is there. 
The revival of the club and knowing we stuck with it in the darkest days is something very special. There is no point explaining it to people because if it needs explaining they will never understand. The fact we are looking to build in a sensible sustainable way with decent owners makes it all the better. 

• Site Supporter

Cracking all round performance last night. Wasn't even worried when they had a spell in the 2nd half, I was always confident we'd have enough.

Everyone has played their part, having a stronger squad really does keep players on their toes. Not saying we'll go up this season but I expect a top 6 challenge next season.

Got some cracking players who will improve for another season in League 1. I said when we appointed Evatt we'd be back in the championship within 5 years. It won't take him that long.

Johnstone & Morley rapidly becoming players I very much enjoy watching

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Cracking all round performance last night. Wasn't even worried when they had a spell in the 2nd half, I was always confident we'd have enough.

Everyone has played their part, having a stronger squad really does keep players on their toes. Not saying we'll go up this season but I expect a top 6 challenge next season.

Got some cracking players who will improve for another season in League 1. I said when we appointed Evatt we'd be back in the championship within 5 years. It won't take him that long.

Johnstone & Morley rapidly becoming players I very much enjoy watching

Welcome back 👍

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Yoof is 23, he was not alive last time we scored 6 at home in the league. When first came to games it was all Premier League and sulking cos his mum won't let him travel to UEFA away games. 
He is now honestly mad for it, he was explaining on Saturday to Sunderland fans why despite living in Leeds he will always be a Bolton fan. Basically 'because I am' . He went to Shrewsbury without me , he is a lot keener than me, but I enjoy it more because he is there. 
The revival of the club and knowing we stuck with it in the darkest days is something very special. There is no point explaining it to people because if it needs explaining they will never understand. The fact we are looking to build in a sensible sustainable way with decent owners makes it all the better. 

Isn’t it great knowing you’ve passed the love of BWFC down to the next generation, I’m the only BWFC in our family so it’s good I’ve completed that task. 

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Isn’t it great knowing you’ve passed the love of BWFC down to the next generation, I’m the only BWFC in our family so it’s good I’ve completed that task. 

Silly prick is texting me from work asking if we are going to Oxford

2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Not sure on Trafford yet either, his kicking is suspect for me and he got bollocked 4 or 5 times last night by one defender or another for not giving a shout or not coming for the ball. 

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

He hasn’t really been truly tested, his kicking needs improvement but his commanding of his area is excellent. 

His kicking isn't that bad, both Saturday and Last night the wind was a problem, but he has a massive hoof on him which is more accurate than we have seen throughout this season. This has helped to reduce the pressure on us as it isn't coming as back so quickly.

He is 19 years old and still learning his craft, but he has a bright future if he continues in this form.

360 minutes without conceding is impressive which ever way you want to cut it and he has been a key contributor to that 

3 hours ago, Underpants said:

Agree. Less of the patient tippy-tappy does mean giving up large parts of possession. Possession base football worked well last season but it took IE a few months to realise we're not Man City and it doesn't work that well in L1.

Trafford. He might be the answer to our keeper issues but the Im not convinced by the lad yet. Needs more of a Gilks mouth on him. Still, can't argue with his clean sheets. The ones in front of him deserve credit too.

totally agree, 3-4 occassiosn in the 2nd half where he never came for the ball, no communication whatsoever

one one occassion I think it was Santos that had a few words for him

• Members
15 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

His kicking isn't that bad, both Saturday and Last night the wind was a problem, but he has a massive hoof on him which is more accurate than we have seen throughout this season. This has helped to reduce the pressure on us as it isn't coming as back so quickly.

He is 19 years old and still learning his craft, but he has a bright future if he continues in this form.

360 minutes without conceding is impressive which ever way you want to cut it and he has been a key contributor to that 

Oh I don’t think it’s bad, just needs to get his angles right. Excellent for his age

14 minutes ago, L/H White said:

totally agree, 3-4 occassiosn in the 2nd half where he never came for the ball, no communication whatsoever

one one occassion I think it was Santos that had a few words for him

He got a bollocking on a couple of occasions from Santos and Johnston, but he took it on board and then became more confident and dominated his area for the tail end of the second half.

He is 19 (nineteen) and still learning, but he is clearly demonstrating that he takes things on board. 

He is guaranteed to make a fuck up sooner or later and no doubt the knives will be out, but he has impressed me so far