Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

View from WSL (South).

MickyD

• Site Supporter

Thought this required its own thread.

Don’t know if they change ballboys for night matches from the usual kids who can’t wait to run for balls and throw it to the players to last night’s who looked older and certainly wiser while we’re running the clock down. Perhaps they’re youth team players drafted in.

Last night our ballboy in the SW corner was worth the entrance fee for his entertainment value.

Once we were in the lead he sauntered, and I mean snail’s pace, for every ball; if he could be arsed. Picked ball up and roll it, very slowly, to the player waiting to take the corner or throw. I say if he could be arsed because occasionally the Cambridge players had to get the ball because the ballboy didn’t want to.

I’ve never known a crowd get behind a ballboy like last night. As he walked slowly the fans started “Woooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!”and cheered as he picked the ball up. Funny as fuck but I guess you may need to have been there.

We need more shithousery from the ballboys.

19 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Thought this required its own thread.

Don’t know if they change ballboys for night matches from the usual kids who can’t wait to run for balls and throw it to the players to last night’s who looked older and certainly wiser while we’re running the clock down. Perhaps they’re youth team players drafted in.

Last night our ballboy in the SW corner was worth the entrance fee for his entertainment value.

Once we were in the lead he sauntered, and I mean snail’s pace, for every ball; if he could be arsed. Picked ball up and roll it, very slowly, to the player waiting to take the corner or throw. I say if he could be arsed because occasionally the Cambridge players had to get the ball because the ballboy didn’t want to.

I’ve never known a crowd get behind a ballboy like last night. As he walked slowly the fans started “Woooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!”and cheered as he picked the ball up. Funny as fuck but I guess you may need to have been there.

We need more shithousery from the ballpersons.

• Site Supporter

Can understand it if we're blowing out of our arses or severely under the cosh and needing a breather.

However when doing well and pretty much in control, just get it back. Why risk breaking our rhythm if its not needed. Could even wind up the opposition and give them a bit of an adrenaline boost.

Plus everyone gets to go home a bit quicker!

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can understand it if we're blowing out of our arses or severely under the cosh and needing a breather.

However when doing well and pretty much in control, just get it back. Why risk breaking our rhythm if its not needed. Could even wind up the opposition and give them a bit of an adrenaline boost.

Plus everyone gets to go home a bit quicker!

Exactly. They were pissing me right off last night.

They were doing it when we were all over them in the first half and the last thing we needed was giving them a  breather

The one in the second half who sauntered over picked it up and as the Cambridge player held his hands out to get it chucked it behind him.

I'd have snotted the little shit.

Edited by mickbrown

Im surprised we haven't got multiple balls in the stadium that the ballboys throw in as soon as it goes out of play. Would seem to be in keeping with the Evatt philosophy but maybe in L1 it's good for the players to have time to reset when the ball goes out of play.

• Site Supporter

Speaking with someone who’s little un’ was a ball boy / ball girl and are under instructions from IE depending on the game situation, so if we are winning slight delays, walking for ball etc etc when we’re behind ready and straight back. That kind of thing.

Dunno how true this is. 

5 minutes ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Speaking with someone who’s little un’ was a ball boy / ball girl and are under instructions from IE depending on the game situation, so if we are winning slight delays, walking for ball etc etc when we’re behind ready and straight back. That kind of thing.

Dunno how true this is. 

Fucking hell, that's depressing.

• Site Supporter

It goes on all over the league. Was it Stoke who had the player with a long throw but needed to towel-dry the ball first. I think they got ‘worded’ because they only had towels at the end of the ground they were attacking.

8 minutes ago, MickyD said:

It goes on all over the league. Was it Stoke who had the player with a long throw but needed to towel-dry the ball first. I think they got ‘worded’ because they only had towels at the end of the ground they were attacking.

Didn't we put the advertising boards closer to the pitch to stop Challinor's run up?

• Members
30 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Didn't we put the advertising boards closer to the pitch to stop Challinor's run up?

Yeah 

Got rid of his towel as well

Delap as well. Shithousery at its finest 

Edited by Rudy

1 hour ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Dunno how true this is. 

17 minutes ago, QFPants said:

Not an IE edict, @BWFC_LOVE was instructed to do the same under Allardyce in the PL days

Yep. Full list of rules, and that was a key one. We were urged to hold onto the ball for as long as possible when narrowly ahead. It was the same season Friedel pushed another ball boy late on.

I hid behind the advertising boards for about thirty seconds holding the ball when 2-1 up against Leicester (December 03, the highest attendance game). They had a corner in the 4th minute of injury time. 

James Scowcroft as much as had to wrestle the ball off me. Sir Les headed in from the resulting corner. 

I still maintain that I was the reason we signed Ferdinand; off the back of the timing of that goal 😎

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Traf said:

Each to their own, but I think it's a bit tinpot.

Especially when a grown adult was doing similar/worse when we were 5-0 up against Sunderland, with a big smug grin on his face. Poor form.

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Especially when a grown adult was doing similar/worse when we were 5-0 up against Sunderland, with a big smug grin on his face. Poor form.

You mean the flag waver behind the nets?? 

I must admit, as childish as it is, I found it quite amusing. Not the first time he's pulled that stunt. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boogs said:

You mean the flag waver behind the nets?? 

I must admit, as childish as it is, I found it quite amusing. Not the first time he's pulled that stunt. 

Yeah, the lad with the ginger beard. Appears on the Lion of Vienna podcast, apparently. Not 100% sure it's the same fella, but that's what I've been told. I just think there's no need for it. Attention-seeking spanner.