Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Best loans we never signed !

Krimzon

1 hour ago, meanderson93 said:

different end of the spectrum, I liked James Henry a lot, currently doing very well in that Oxford team and would be a nice addition to the way we play now.

James Henry was a massive let-down IMO.  Seemed like a real coup when we got him, but apart from a couple of goals his performances were generally pretty poor.

He'd get nowhere near our team now.

22 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Aye

Everyone was excited because of the stunner he scored this against us when he was at Wolves.  

He's just one of those very forgettable players we had during a very forgettable period.

I always think you’ve been a tad harsh on jenry. I think Phil couldn’t get the best out of him. Wouldn’t be the first. 

On that note as he hasn’t been mentioned. Would of like Armstrong If we played him as a striker.

Edited by tomski

• Site Supporter

Armstrong did himself a favour joining Rovers, I thought he was still a bit raw for the championship at the time. Them extra few months in L1 helped him with a bit more experience and got his confidence levels up.

Similarly, I think he's moved to the prem a season too soon too

I was going to mention Hebberd, Newsome, Ripley and Pike but I can see they've already been referenced. 

We signed Stuart Gray on loan when he was a kid in 1983. Cloughie doing John McGovern a favour! He was young and overwhelmed and put in to a midfield with others of a similar ilk. Went on to have a fine career though! 

Remaining in the 80s - Ian Bailey has also been mentioned. We signed him on loan 2 or 3 times and he was really solid for us each time. Always wanted us to sign him permanently. 

6 hours ago, meanderson93 said:

I wouldn't be so sure we were no hopers for Sturridge at the time, an £8-£9million bid may well have got him. I'd like to think with the Prem money it could have been doable with the inevitable returns he would offer. 

I'll echo the Dawson shouts as well, could just tell he was some player and evidenced by a very very good career. 

A different end of the spectrum, I liked James Henry a lot, currently doing very well in that Oxford team and would be a nice addition to the way we play now.

At the time I was amazed Henry had to drop down to league one to get regular games.  Cant believe he only scored 1 for us, and that was deflected, since he went to Oxford he's scored 47!  Sadlier reminds me a bit of him, always on the front foot looking to make something happen and comfortable on either wing and down the middle.

Juke was superb for us and always looks good for Birmingham, a very underrated player

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Allan Johnston, you mean? Sacked by Queen of the South at the weekend, no less. Ritchie was ace but we loaned him from Hearts and he’d already signed a pre-contract with Rangers.

I don’t think we ever had a sniff of signing Sturridge permanently, but Dawson was very much one who got away.

Jon Newsome was awesome, though I’m not sure he’d have been good enough to come up with us to the Premier League. Similarly Colin Hendry was unreal when he came in. 

Seem to remember we had Warhust on loan at the same time as Newsome.

We couldn’t afford both and opted for Warhurst. Newsome retired the following season due to injuries.

In 91-92, the Dibble & Felgate season, we had a goalkeeper crisis and, for one match, loaned Gerry Payton who was then a reserve keeper for Everton.

It was a match v Exeter and it utterly pissed down all day. We lost 1-2 (Andy Walker) and there were 5,600 on.

I walked onto the Burnden terrace unaware of this & wondered who he was & why (pre t'interweb).

It wasn't a memorable match. One instance apart. 

Late in the first half an Exeter player who looked like Ali from Eastenders, attacking the Lever End got to the corner of the box, near me, and took a right footed curling shot which went utterly top corner. No-one could have saved it. Payton was mid goal in his 6yd bix &, transfixed, watched it fly over him. He barely moved.

Behind me an older guy shouted, very loudly across a silenced Paddock "Bloody hell Payton ! I don't mind y' letting one in but y' might get fucking muddy while y' doing it !!".

For that reason only, Gerry Payton will always be a loan memory for me.

3 hours ago, Clarence Carter said:

Seem to remember we had Warhust on loan at the same time as Newsome.

We couldn’t afford both and opted for Warhurst. Newsome retired the following season due to injuries.

Aye, Wednesday wanted £2m for Newsome. Think Warhurst was about £800k. 

Bit of an unsung hero Warhurst really. Certainly did a job for us in the Campo role before we upgraded.
Remember him being injury prone a fair bit in his first couple of seasons. 

26 minutes ago, Traf said:

I'm another who wasn't in the Candela fan club.

I remember there being massively polarising opinions on him at the time. Thought he was excellent. Funny old game.