Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MJ Williams

DazBob

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Still think we need to strengthen in the middle. If he’s out no one else can do that role as it stands. 
Plus everyone needs that competition. 

That then becomes the management team's job to compensate- which for me they have done to an extent with Morley.

Couple the latter with a more defensive/physical player like Dempsey and we're OK.

MJ Williams is a good solid League 1 player. Blackpool flogged him on to us in the process of getting promoted out of League 1 - that says a lot about where his level is. In my opinion we need another holding midfielder and preferably an upgrade on MJ, while keeping the lad around for the remainder of his deal as the 'competition' for that slot.

We have a number of good solid League 1 players - Will Aimson, Lloyd Isgrove and (nowadays) Alex Baptiste are others. Nothing against them but there's no room for sentiment if we really want to push on. Rioch shed folk like Storer, Philliskirk, Reeves, Came from our 92/3 promotion squad, it's just the same process.

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, paulhanley said:

MJ Williams is a good solid League 1 player. Blackpool flogged him on to us in the process of getting promoted out of League 1 - that says a lot about where his level is. In my opinion we need another holding midfielder and preferably an upgrade on MJ, while keeping the lad around for the remainder of his deal as the 'competition' for that slot.

We have a number of good solid League 1 players - Will Aimson, Lloyd Isgrove and (nowadays) Alex Baptiste are others. Nothing against them but there's no room for sentiment if we really want to push on. Rioch shed folk like Storer, Philliskirk, Reeves, Came from our 92/3 promotion squad, it's just the same process.

While I’m not against having in depth competition and potentially improving on MJ, I’m going to offer an alternative view on him only being a solid league 1 player, which suggests he’s not top end, capable of performing in a promotion team and/or performing in the championship.

Evatts words offer one explanation of why we shouldn’t just look at previous clubs:

Players “shouldn’t be judged on their records at other clubs.”

“I think some players that we sign, it’s difficult because they might have been playing for football clubs that play a completely different way to how we play and then you’re just looking for glimpses of them doing the things that we want them to do.

“But we have position specifics of what we require from each individual”

The second consideration is that of the number of players in the past who have performed much better for BWFC than their previous clubs, they just get what Bolton is, appreciate the manager, the fans and buy in to the whole Bolton Wanderers brand; Davies, Mcginlay, Brannigan, Bergson. (there’s probably more from the past than I can think of at the moment!)  

Then you come to present day and look at what JDB is offering - I’m sorry but if any one tells me he isn’t top end L1/comfortable Ch player the way he’s playing for us at the minute then they are watching a different player - maybe the player Millwall fans saw.

I think it’s complicated - you can’t just assume a previous players achievements, accomplishments and performances at other clubs, limit his potential at BWFC.

Same with MJ. I accept he dropped off December/January - but the way he’s finished the season has been fantastic, probably our best and most consistent performer (with Morley pretty close alongside) - don’t write him off for being a major player in a promotion push and performing in the championship.

6 hours ago, desperado said:

While I’m not against having in depth competition and potentially improving on MJ, I’m going to offer an alternative view on him only being a solid league 1 player, which suggests he’s not top end, capable of performing in a promotion team and/or performing in the championship.

Evatts words offer one explanation of why we shouldn’t just look at previous clubs:

Players “shouldn’t be judged on their records at other clubs.”

“I think some players that we sign, it’s difficult because they might have been playing for football clubs that play a completely different way to how we play and then you’re just looking for glimpses of them doing the things that we want them to do.

“But we have position specifics of what we require from each individual”

The second consideration is that of the number of players in the past who have performed much better for BWFC than their previous clubs, they just get what Bolton is, appreciate the manager, the fans and buy in to the whole Bolton Wanderers brand; Davies, Mcginlay, Brannigan, Bergson. (there’s probably more from the past than I can think of at the moment!)  

Then you come to present day and look at what JDB is offering - I’m sorry but if any one tells me he isn’t top end L1/comfortable Ch player the way he’s playing for us at the minute then they are watching a different player - maybe the player Millwall fans saw.

I think it’s complicated - you can’t just assume a previous players achievements, accomplishments and performances at other clubs, limit his potential at BWFC.

Same with MJ. I accept he dropped off December/January - but the way he’s finished the season has been fantastic, probably our best and most consistent performer (with Morley pretty close alongside) - don’t write him off for being a major player in a promotion push and performing in the championship.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I obviously hope you win the debate because it would be Bolton Wanderers to benefit. I just think there's better out there. 

Perhaps we can agree that MJ is the only player of his type in our current squad (and IE has admitted as much in today's BN and said it after the Stockport defeat) and we therefore need a second of that type. And if we do draft in that competition then trying to improve is the logical way to go.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I obviously hope you win the debate because it would be Bolton Wanderers to benefit. I just think there's better out there. 

Perhaps we can agree that MJ is the only player of his type in our current squad (and IE has admitted as much in today's BN and said it after the Stockport defeat) and we therefore need a second of that type. And if we do draft in that competition then trying to improve is the logical way to go.

How all good debates should go, agree to disagree on parts, but find some common ground.

I agree we need another CDM, whether that be an upgrade/replacement for MJ or competition, as long as it’s for the benefit and progression of BWFC, I’m all for it 👍