Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MJ Williams

DazBob

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

He’s doubtful for Saturdays game with Fleetwood after breaking his little finger against Cheltenham.

He’s no Kevin Davies then is he?

I’m fairly sure if players can get a mask and play with a fractured eye socket then a little finger shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Strap it up and carry on.

Or perhaps he’s fucked up his holiday booking and goes away this Friday instead of a week on Friday.

• Members
7 minutes ago, MickyD said:

He’s no Kevin Davies then is he?

I’m fairly sure if players can get a mask and play with a fractured eye socket then a little finger shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Strap it up and carry on.

Or perhaps he’s fucked up his holiday booking and goes away this Friday instead of a week on Friday.

Powder Puff innit 

• Members
29 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It's actually a broken 5th metacarpal.

I'm dure if it was play offs or a final he'd be reet. I expect he'll be on the bench & it opens his place up to someone else.

Metacarpals are tricky because it means you can make a fist or grip. Phalanges are different. Also the rule used to be you can’t play with strapping on a bone on the hand.

Not sure if that’s changed 

Either way final game is a dead rubber Even if he was fit I’d give someone else a run out

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's in the palm. Not sure I've heard of that part counting as fingers before.

Either way, there's no need to risk making it worse given the circumstances. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_metacarpal_bone

"The fifth metacarpal bone (metacarpal bone of the little finger or pinky finger) is the most medial and second-shortest of the metacarpal bones."

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Metacarpals are tricky because it means you can make a fist or grip. Phalanges are different. Also the rule used to be you can’t play with strapping on a bone on the hand.

Not sure if that’s changed 

Either way final game is a dead rubber Even if he was fit I’d give someone else a run out

My lad did his a few weeks ago, made him play the week after with it strapped up, did his meniscus in that game, I wasn’t popular. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

As you look at your palm your metacarpal would be in your palm but it’s the conjoining bone to your little finger

What the fuck are we doing??!!

Saying the metacarpel isn't part of your finger is like saying "the femur isn't part of your leg, as it's in your thigh".

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Cheese said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_metacarpal_bone

"The fifth metacarpal bone (metacarpal bone of the little finger or pinky finger) is the most medial and second-shortest of the metacarpal bones."

And?

Look at a picture.

It's in the palm.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Saying the metacarpel isn't part of your finger is like saying "the femur isn't part of your leg, as it's in your thigh".

Well yes it’s the medical way of identifying exactly where the injury has happened

If I read a fracture of the fifth phalange I would know this refers to the protruding  part of your finger 

The metacarpal would be the bone in the palm area. 

If I was told to assess the fracture in the finger that’s quite open to interpretation as to what has been fractured. 

• Members
10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

My lad did his a few weeks ago, made him play the week after with it strapped up, did his meniscus in that game, I wasn’t popular. 

I’d say he was lucky to only damage his meniscus, either side is your cruciate ligament. 

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevate 

😊

The metacarpal are the bones which run from wrist to knuckle. The finger nobes start after the knuckle.

They're the bones you can feel along the back of your hand. The 5th is the one running toward your little finger. It's easily felt for and is above the pad of the hand.

His injury is said to have gappened when his hand caught in the shirt of an opponent. Given that it's said to be broken, not dislocated, that suggests a pressure break/snap as the hand was forced back.

It's a 2 week in a hard casing and up to 6 weeks to repair.

It's not life threatening but I bet it's sore 

A good chance to play someonecelse instead of the Powder Puff.