Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MJ Williams

DazBob

• 8 months later...
  • Site Supporter

Wouldn’t like to see him against a decent, pacy striker but his performances have been admirable - even more so considering he’s had a few months out injured.

At least him and a few others will be fresh for our last 6 games of the season

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Wouldn’t like to see him against a decent, pacy striker but his performances have been admirable - even more so considering he’s had a few months out injured.

Me neither but agree he’s done a splendid job, it’s all about the system, pressing from forwards and midfielders helps the defence massively. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Me neither but agree he’s done a splendid job, it’s all about the system, pressing from forwards and midfielders helps the defence massively. 

Both correct. We saw the vulnerability on occasions at Oxford.

Evatt is definitely protecting him with 2 holding midfielders since he’s been there. 

Probably same again tonight, he’ll have 2 from Morley/Sheehan/Thomason sat in front of him. 

Playing 3 at the back means it won't be that catastrophic if there's a one on one with a fast un as there typically will be someone close by and spare to cover (unless there is a monumental fuck up somewhere in play and he's isolated). Plus he's very good at nipping in and intercepting the ball before trouble escalates.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

I thought he was excellent against Shrewsbury.

As mentioned above though, I'd not like to see him against a striker with pace. Credit where it's due though, he's stepped in and done better than I expected.

That’s not what you were saying Saturday 

6 hours ago, desperado said:

Both correct. We saw the vulnerability on occasions at Oxford.

Evatt is definitely protecting him with 2 holding midfielders since he’s been there. 

Probably same again tonight, he’ll have 2 from Morley/Sheehan/Thomason sat in front of him. 

He also seems to be protecting him by holding Jones / Johnston back a bit - or that’s how it looked on Saturday. With Rico, you know nobody is doing him for pace or strength so Jones particularly can bomb on like a full back and double up with Bradley on the wing, knowing that if they break then Rico will sweep up with ease. It looked like Jones was less keen to get forward on Saturday and I’ve got a feeling it’s with an eye on MJ having to have a one on one foot race on the break.

He’s done brilliantly, but even little things like the impact on the other 2 in the back 3 show just how important / good Rico is.

2 hours ago, Matt Lofthouse said:

He was our best player last night. Tallest dwarf and all that…

Agreed, it didn't take too much to be MOM last night, but he really took the game to them and defended well.  Not to re-open the Thomasson debate, but he should get into our midfield before Tomo, underrated IMO.

17 hours ago, DazBob said:

Haha, stop making shit up.

I'll always give credit where it's due.

It was fucking awful last night.
MJ brought it out of defence to halfway and didn't have anyone willing to receive the ball on numerous occasions.

Couldn’t fault Williams last night , playing CB & trying to play the ball out .Too many go missing in games like this .Sheehan seemed to be man marked first half & couldn’t get into the game , Morley was awful, only Dempsey showed any intent from midfield. As for our forwards their first touch was collectively clumsy. Not sure about Dan his decision making is gash even though he was fouled consistently & without sanction.