Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Play offs - Can we get there

Ani

I'm already at the "if we'd just .. " stage, looking back at where we dropped points especially those early "we deserved more than we got" matches when we failed to convert good play into goals.

Plus the damage done by Gethin Jones' injury in particular.

It's an enormous ask & I do feel we'll fall just a bit short. The job then would be to keep the squad together as much ass possible and, of course, add 3 or 4 very influential new ones. 

Meanwhile ... "course we can, piece of piss, HMS Piss-the-League is leaving port".

Think the two games a week looked like it was taking its toll on Wednesday we looked a little jaded but we got through it .
If we get a point on Saturday then good week till the next game squad is getting stronger . Lee back for run in and isgrove no major injuries and we will do it . 

if we get into the play offs we will be the form team going into it and whoever finishes 3 rd will be on a downer with just missing out on automatic. Our style of play will suit Wembley we will run them ragged whoever we get 

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Think the two games a week looked like it was taking its toll on Wednesday we looked a little jaded but we got through it .
If we get a point on Saturday then good week till the next game squad is getting stronger . Lee back for run in and isgrove no major injuries and we will do it . 

if we get into the play offs we will be the form team going into it and whoever finishes 3 rd will be on a downer with just missing out on automatic. Our style of play will suit Wembley we will run them ragged whoever we get 

While I do think we will miss out, not by a lot - if i'm wrong (fingers crossed) and we do nick a place, I fancy us to win it

2 points I hadn't considered:

@CambridgeBWFC "If we did make it, but lost in semi or final would that have more impact on mentality and players maybe wanting to move on than if we just missed out?"

You'd hope it would go the other way and that losing in a big game would improve their mentality having given them experience in a game with so much on the line, but also valid that to get so close and miss out might have some agents pushing their players for a move to a higher level.

I think the ownership, management and project of BWFC is appealing though and would help keep the key men on board. But maybe we wouldn't mind cashing in, to help us be sustainable.

and

@Farnywhite "Our style of play will suit Wembley we will run them ragged whoever we get."

Would never want to take it as a given that we would win the final should we get there, but do agree the Wembley pitch would suit us more than most teams.

• Site Supporter

Whatever happens though, we've got to remember for the first half of the season we didn't have seven or eight players who could weigh in with important goals and assists. Now everyone is feeling that they are good enough to chip in.

Now, with half the season gone, and with festive blips against Accy, Hartlepools and Rotherham (narrow defeats that could have gone either way) behind us we're doing great.

I can't help feeling though, the damage was done at the time of Sarcegate against Plymouth, the Pie Men and Wednesday when we were in a bit of a turmoil and confidence was lower than a snakes belly.

I would love a trip to Wembley and Promotion however i think we will fall just short. 

My big fear is people thinking our players are decent and coming and ripping us apart. If we can build on this it will be one hell of a ride next season and hopefully we will be ready for a chance to stay up in the Championship.

This is a great time again to support BWFC and enjoy it folks. We deserve some entertainment 

• Members
1 hour ago, noxid said:

Wow, so many doubters on here. Hope the players don't have the same mentality. 12 games left to make up only 6 pts.

Teams above still to play each other. Why the hell not? 

That’s the spirit. Be no good in the trenches half of this lot 

• Site Supporter

Hold on, I'm neither a doubter nor a dosser, but I know that if we can have a good run, others can as well. And it only takes a shit result or two, or suspension or injury and suddenly we're out of it, and despondent as fuck.

It's tighter than a nun's chuff at the top. We've been clocking points up L-R and C and still 9/10th.

And I'm still grateful to have this 130 odd year old club still going, after the last few years. I can wait another season in the shade before we get back into the sun.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, noxid said:

Wow, so many doubters on here. Hope the players don't have the same mentality. 12 games left to make up only 6 pts.

Teams above still to play each other. Why the hell not? 

Aye, 5 off the play offs with 12 to go, anyone would fancy that if they been hovering round the lower end of the league for a while 

The hard work that was doubtful was getting into a position like this in the first place

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Traf said:

It's irrelevant how many points behind you are, it's how places off you are, surely?

And before the "smart" kids pipe up, I know they go hand in hand to an extent.

Not for me 

You could get several teams on the same amount of points 

And it's points that are up for grabs each game, not places

Players need to have that winning mentality and ambition but balance that by following the old cliché of one game at a time.

Fans, can believe or not, doesn't really make much difference - whether they think we won't make it because they're genuinely being realistic or because they don't want to get their hopes up and be disappointed. Both fair reasons.

Personally, I think it's written in the stars that we make the playoffs but I'm prepared to have that dream crushed. Will be disappointing if it doesn't work out but plenty of positives to fall back on and look forward to next season, whichever division we're in. 

14 hours ago, true white said:

Think it will do us no harm at all, for this team to have another year in this league. As long as we can keep team together. Plus be great to watch us batter teams all year, rather than struggle in championship. But saying that if we do make playoffs this team will be tough to beat. Good position to be in COYWM. 

No ta. Promotion this season for me.

There's a difference between taking a cold, hard look at the situation & think "no, it's probably to big an ask" and then saying if that happens it's hardly terminal and positively not wanting it.

We'll all take it if we can. But if we can't we pat everyone on the back, lift our chins up and do it next time.

18 hours ago, JOGLER said:

Re. staying up, my understanding is that next season there are 5 Championship teams who are heading for points deductions.... Could be the best season ever to get promoted.

As hard as the championship is, I think we'd have enough to stop up without the help of others. 

Wigan on the other hand...hopefully they don't stay up thanks to points deductions. 

41 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

There's a difference between taking a cold, hard look at the situation & think "no, it's probably to big an ask" and then saying if that happens it's hardly terminal and positively not wanting it.

We'll all take it if we can. But if we can't we pat everyone on the back, lift our chins up and do it next time.

Don’t think it’s a big ask and I wanna go up.