Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Play offs - Can we get there

Ani

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Trouble is, last seasons table is after 30 games, but so far this season we’ve played 34 so there’s no comparison really.

Maybe someone can find a league table from last season after 34 games.

We were one point closer to our target, but every club around us had played the same number of matches:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB4?saison_id=2020&min=1&max=34

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

FGR really fucked it up, didn't they?

Proper 6 pointer when we played them with 10 games to go.  We were 2 points behind and Jamile Matt was scoring and creating loads.  He bust his hand after 2 minutes, and I think he missed the rest of the season.  I feel sure that not only helped us get a massive 3 points but derailed their season too because they were (and are) a decent team.

There were a few pivotal moments but Matt's injury and Morecambe's sending off were huge moments of luck that may have made the difference. 

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

As it was this time last year and now.

025F2EEF-7704-48A3-903C-8C9FCEAD57E4.jpeg

EBAABE97-AC0E-4D20-BB63-23EFD496F3C5.jpeg

Carlisle 4 games in hand and only a point behind us a year ago, our respective fortunes have gone in opposite directions.  They gave us a really tough game in April, we were desperately hanging on; now they're staring at National League.  Makes me even more grateful for where we are, compared to where we could have been. 

Ppg is marginally higher this season than last based on the above.  Still think we need 76 at very least (tend to think it might be 78/79) and need to beat Shef Wed, Plymouth and maybe Portsmouth at home to stand a chance. Even if we win today we still need 2 ppg from all remaining games to hit 76. Though we are on 2.5 ppg for the last 10 games, if we keep that up including today that's 81 points and almost certainly enough for the play offs but a big ask. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

36 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Proper 6 pointer when we played them with 10 games to go.  We were 2 points behind and Jamile Matt was scoring and creating loads.  He bust his hand after 2 minutes, and I think he missed the rest of the season.  I feel sure that not only helped us get a massive 3 points but derailed their season too because they were (and are) a decent team.

There were a few pivotal moments but Matt's injury and Morecambe's sending off were huge moments of luck that may have made the difference. 

Good points well made there, Johnny. Morecambe red card was really dumb from their player and right under the nose of the 4th official but Dapo made the most of it. Even with 10 men it wasn't a convincing victory. We were so dependent on the back 4 + Gilks on that run. Matt's injury was a freak one, whether we would've gone up automatically without those two moments, who knows!

The run we've been on this season compared to last has been much more convincing. Not only have we got that solid base which was the foundation of our promotion form last season but we're also free-scoring. Someone else mentioned it in another thread that we were scraping past a lot of teams 1-0 in League 2. We have so many attacking threats this time.

The upgrade from Doyle, Gnahoua, Delfouneso, Miller, Isgrove... to Charles, Dapo, Bakayoko, Bodvarsson, Sadlier etc. is massive.

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The thing I keep coming back to is the top seven or eight still have to play plenty of matches against each other.

That should have an impact on the average.

Hopefully it will impact on the average, but the same was true of last season about the top 8 playing each other. We finished 3rd on 79, that's likely to only get us 5th/6th this year. Points were much more evenly distributed last year, Grimsby finished bottom on 43 whereas Crewe are now on 22 from 33. Play offs is doable but will be a big ask and an even bigger achievement than auto last year imo. 

2 hours ago, Mantra said:

Good points well made there, Johnny. Morecambe red card was really dumb from their player and right under the nose of the 4th official but Dapo made the most of it. Even with 10 men it wasn't a convincing victory. We were so dependent on the back 4 + Gilks on that run. Matt's injury was a freak one, whether we would've gone up automatically without those two moments, who knows!

The run we've been on this season compared to last has been much more convincing. Not only have we got that solid base which was the foundation of our promotion form last season but we're also free-scoring. Someone else mentioned it in another thread that we were scraping past a lot of teams 1-0 in League 2. We have so many attacking threats this time.

The upgrade from Doyle, Gnahoua, Delfouneso, Miller, Isgrove... to Charles, Dapo, Bakayoko, Bodvarsson, Sadlier etc. is massive.

Yes agreed, I know its all hypotheticals but I think if we'd lost at Forest Green we wouldn't have gone up, and likewise Morecambe obviously.  Reminds me of the promotion season under Parky when Port Vale had a stupid 1st half sending off when they were on top in that huge game.  But yes, the upgrade this season is great to see, last season I wasn't sure we'd win any of those games in the run in, but this year I know we'll not only win most games but look like the better side, at least in home games.