Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plymouth (H)

Steejay

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

@green genie making the trip? 

Not unless yoof jnr's cup semi final gets postponed before Friday morning. 

Yoof snr + 3 going and manc brother in law taking my ticket. 

Thought you may have been getting the beach towels out after tonight's results but that goal should have you up for it. 

• Site Supporter

Think we’ll win this. Still a few January signings hoping to make a name for themselves and 1 or 2 on the comeback trail. Thought Amaechi looked ok last night and will still play a part this season.

Im away this weekend so expecting to miss a goal fest, 3-2

1 hour ago, green genie said:

https://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-results.asp?team=Bolton Wanderers&comp=&s1=&s2=

Less than 4k that day. Paths crossed only couple of times in league since

Crowd of 3,800 was 600 more than for the same fixture 6 months earlier!  One of our all time lowest league crowds, 3,266.

Mitigating factor - it was a Monday night, meaningless game for both teams, I remember it because it was 2 days after Argyle had played an FA Cup semi v Watford, understandably a none existent away following.

6 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Crowd of 3,800 was 600 more than for the same fixture 6 months earlier!  One of our all time lowest league crowds, 3,266.

Mitigating factor - it was a Monday night, meaningless game for both teams, I remember it because it was 2 days after Argyle had played an FA Cup semi v Watford, understandably a none existent away following.

If I remember right Neil Whatmore played the last of a loan spell in that game and the fans were chanting his name throughout. It was a great reception for him. He had a great career for us including popping back on loan two or three times after we sold him to Birmingham in 1981

The last time we played them at home in a league game I think we won 3-1, in 92/3. They had Shilton in goal. It was the Saturday after we'd won 0-2 at Anfield in the FA Cup.

8 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

If I remember right Neil Whatmore played the last of a loan spell in that game and the fans were chanting his name throughout. It was a great reception for him. He had a great career for us including popping back on loan two or three times after we sold him to Birmingham in 1981

The last time we played them at home in a league game I think we won 3-1, in 92/3. They had Shilton in goal. It was the Saturday after we'd won 0-2 at Anfield in the FA Cup.

Warren Joyce played for them that day too...

11 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Loved the guy when I was growing up.  He was on the Big Match last week scoring 2 on his home debut for Brum versus Forest.  Definitely worth a watch.

8 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Loved the guy when I was growing up.  He was on the Big Match last week scoring 2 on his home debut for Brum versus Forest.  Definitely worth a watch.

I saw it. A bit too much Elton Welsby to view but I saw the games. He scored two cracking goals but I looked at his career for them and he didn't do too much. He was brilliant for us in those return loan spells. Our form picked up every time! 

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Warren Joyce played for them that day too...

Aye I'd forgotten that. I think he had his spell for Burnley after he left Home Park. By the time he'd got to his late 20s he was a reasonable player. For us he was just a trier really.

32 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I've got that on series link, only just watched the one where its the first game of the season, Everton v Birmingham.  Alan Biley made his debut for EFC and they had Asa Hartford in midfield (h missed a penalty twice) and Mike Walsh in defence.  The standard was awful, really hard to believe it was a top flight game.  And considering it was the first game, the atmosphere was so flat, even Birmingham fans half hearted when they were leading.  At the time I thought the games were fast but it was so slow and lacking in passion.  The atmosphere at Burnden was special when I see how poor it was at other grounds in the 80s.

Edited by Johnnyrotten