Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden tragedy

JOGLER

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Always surprised me that out of all those, only 7 listed as being from Bolton.

Certainly came from all over.

Yes the number from Leigh and Atherton always struck me as a kid. I saw a document once with the full addresses on and one was literally the next street along from where I grew up. 

My late father was on The Embankment that night as a 16 year old lad.

I remember him saying that although it was obvious there'd been a serious incident, not many who were at the game realised that people had actually died.

They didn't find out the full extent of the tragedy  until they got home and their loved ones (who had been listening on the radio) hugged them to bits in the sheer relief that they had got home safe.

Rip 33

Edited by Burndens Bogs

30 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I thought that too, 5 out of 33 from Rochdale/Littleborough, so had big pull then clearly.

Just now, gonzo said:

Pre Busby Babes and Munich Air Crash :(

Tbf you’d think the pull of Stanley Matthews might have influenced it too. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf you’d think the pull of Stanley Matthews might have influenced it too. 

…which has sent me down a bit of a Wiki rabbit hole. Turns out Matthews donated £30 (the equivalent of 6 weeks wages as far as I can tell) to the disaster fund. 

Put it on here a while ago. My grandad was in the Lever End that day. Knew summat had happened but no idea what as the ground was so packed. Got the tram back home and was bemused when he got off by the hordes of women and children waiting to greet loved ones. Days before social media yet news travelled fast. Folk knew there were deaths apparently and waiting for family to come home

• Members
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The fans marked it on the 33rd minute against Morecambe with spontaneous clap round the ground. 

Great to hear mate. We should never forget. Bolton fans in general are magnificent.

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Don’t forget Tuesday was a rearranged game so I would expect the plans will have been in place for Saturday way before the Morecambe got moved

Hope so - dont want to come across all scouse, but this should never be forgotten, and should be commerated at nearest arranged  game 

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Don’t forget Tuesday was a rearranged game so I would expect the plans will have been in place for Saturday way before the Morecambe got moved

That's what I thought too. 

On 10/03/2022 at 10:38, Leyther_Matt said:

Nothing been mentioned by the club yet - which to me suggests its not likely

• Members

Obviously don't want to be too critical of FV after all they have done for us.

Just would have thought that something which should be in every true Bolton fans DNA like the Burnden Tragedy would be given due recognition and respect in a poignant way year in, year out.

No doubt we will meet every (currently socially fashionable) virtue signalling requirement for diversity and inclusivity and other such guff. Disappointing that we would overlook this.