Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth Home

little whitt

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Smiley said:

Promised my Mrs she can have her Tuesday yoga night back - after our run of midweek matches. She ain’t going to be best pleased.

It’s maybe time your youngster was introduced to dad’s world of football.

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It was like we were happy to.

We certainly were and you can bet the results we've got from the delayed games are better overall than what we'd have got in December, when we were truly dogshit.

16 minutes ago, Traf said:

We certainly were and you can bet the results we've got from the delayed games are better overall than what we'd have got in December, when we were truly dogshit.

Clearly we were a worse team pre-January than post-transfer window, but the 3 games postponed in December (Wycombe, Morecambe, Burton) brought us a grand total of 1 point when replayed.  I would have expected at least a draw v Morecambe on Boxing Day, even at our worst this season we haven't lost at home against bottom teams. 

A lot of people seem to forget that this team we had pre January actually went 7th after we beat Shrewsbury in early October.

I accept that we have more strength in depth now, but we’re currently 11th.

We may never know the truth re Sarce etc but the whole thing derailed us for virtually 3 months.

Edited by captainmed

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

A lot of people seem to forget that this team we had pre January actually went 7th after we beat Shrewsbury in early October.

I accept that we have more strength in depth now, but we’re currently 11th.

We may never know the truth re Sarce etc but the whole thing derailed us for virtually 3 months.

Not saying we didn't suffer from Sarcegate, but I'm not going with it derailed us.  In 10 weeks after Shrewsbury, we won 2, drew 2 and lost 9 in the league.  Terrible form, but the defeats were away to Sheff Wed, Plymouth, Pompey, Fleetwood, Accy, Rotherham and Wycombe and home to Wigan and Wycombe.

If those games were played between now and the end of the season how many more would we win?  2 or 3 max?  I think that's where we're at, we don't tend to beat the better teams and we don't win many away, the improvement has been winning instead of drawing more home games and the ability to score more goals.  The Sarcegate run, as bad as it was in particular Fleetwood and Stockport, coincided with tougher fixtures.

• Site Supporter

See, for me, one of the most satisfying results was the 2-0 win against Ipswich at home.

We had less possession but took our opportunities and got the 3 points.

We’ve played really expansive against some teams but we did a job on them like other teams have done a job on us.

Rotherham, Wycombe, Plymouth have all got 6 points off us by keeping their shape without playing with any flair.

I guess it’s just getting the balance right.

• 3 weeks later...