Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (A)

Rudy

• Site Supporter

Charles will be a streaky striker I reckon - 6 in 8 games then nothing for 7 type.

Bod will be superb for us next season with a full pre-season under his belt and settled in the area. I can IE building his team around the spine of Bod, Dempsey and Santos assuming no big bids come in.

Im looking forward to next season, we might not necessarily go up but we are going to wallop a few teams 4 or 5

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, jeep said:

12 pints......

Lol, sober tonight - been rough the last few days so only 2.

I just think he’s that sort. When he’s on fire, it goes for him. Not a poacher like ALF was who will stick scruffy goals away. Wigans Assistant manager and my old school mate Beattie was like that.

Charles works his tits off and for that reason starts every week but the goals will dry up from time to time

1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Lol, sober tonight - been rough the last few days so only 2.

I just think he’s that sort. When he’s on fire, it goes for him. Not a poacher like ALF was who will stick scruffy goals away. Wigans Assistant manager and my old school mate Beattie was like that.

Charles works his tits off and for that reason starts every week but the goals will dry up from time to time

Only joking pal. I like Charles, I know he missed a few good chances recently but for me he's a cracking player. Glad he's a Wanderer....

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

I can't be arsed reading post match comments... But Wigan are no great shakes.

Better than us because they've got some nowty bastards

Nail on head, we haven’t got any ‘nowty bastards’ Wigans side is riddled with them.

We’re too nice, a soft touch at times, we need some steel/bottle/‘nowty cunts’

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

He’s under the coppers at the start and still under them at the end, how can you deduce what he has or hasn’t done to deserve anything?

Think you're on about the clip that looks like it was outside the station with the bald bloke face down. I was on about the one that looks like the lad in a grey top has come down off that bridge over the canal and ended up behind the coppers for some reason but doesn't look like he's ballooning on the clip but a copper who was nowhere near him winds up and smacks him for fuck all. 

19 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nail on head, we haven’t got any ‘nowty bastards’ Wigans side is riddled with them.

We’re too nice, a soft touch at times, we need some steel/bottle/‘nowty cunts’

Agree with this too, in League One a few hard bastards are valuable and most teams are riddled with them. Wigan just seem to have the most talented bunch of them this year, exception of Rotherham.

Can't see Evatt looking to sign that type as he's a purist but even in a side that prides themselves on good football there's still room for one or two and maybe he'll recognise that if he feels we lack a bit of aggression. MJ is the closest we have to one but he seems to be falling out of favour among fans in this system, funnily for his deemed lack of technical ability, which he's supposed to make up for in 'nowtiness'.

Wigan's game plan today wasn't any different than in the 4-0 game. Run harder, win second balls, play territory, get the ball in the box quickly and wait for the other team's mistakes. Thankfully this new-build team handled it much better even if in the first half it didn't seem like it.

5 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Wigan's game plan today wasn't any different than in the 4-0 game. Run harder, win second balls, play territory, get the ball in the box quickly and wait for the other team's mistakes. Thankfully this new-build team handled it much better even if in the first half it didn't seem like it.

Let’s not kid ourselves, Wigan could and probably should have been 3-0 up by half time.

it took us a long time to grow into the game, but we did in the 2nd half thankfully.

11 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Let’s not kid ourselves, Wigan could and probably should have been 3-0 up by half time.

it took us a long time to grow into the game, but we did in the 2nd half thankfully.

Oh yeah totally, they could have been.

McClean could/should have finished the chance he blazed past the near post and there was a ball across the face of our goal that Morley just about kept out. However, their first goal was pretty lucky - a cross that somehow drifted in. Clearly gave them huge impetus early on and made us more nervous.

In the 0-4 game, the first goal we gifted them with Bakayoko's suicidal back header. Then McClean scored a worldie. Then Dixon palmed one into his own net and the 4th goal was decent but our confidence was dead by then.

Progress today, whilst we conceded another poor goal like in the first game, and played badly 1st half, we managed to keep it at 1-0, albeit with a bit of luck but sometimes you need that - in the home game we had none whatsoever - and we managed to turn it round and finish stronger.

Edited by Mantra

20 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Johnstone and Santos saved us first half. 

41 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Can't see Evatt looking to sign that type as he's a purist but even in a side that prides themselves on good football there's still room for one or two and maybe he'll recognise that if he feels we lack a bit of aggression. MJ is the closest we have to one but he seems to be falling out of favour among fans in this system, funnily for his deemed lack of technical ability, which he's supposed to make up for in nowtiness.

Being a good footballer and a nowty bugger aren't mutually exclusive. Get the recruitment right and we can have both like we did in the mid to late nineties. Tough to pick up on the cheap but can be done and we are getting there, Charles, Dempsey look like they can do both sides. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Bad starting selection for me and Wigan couldn’t take advantage of it

However complete turn around second half and we had them on the ropes for a majority of it if we scored ten minutes earlier we win

Dempsey looked up for it a massive improvement well done 

Agreed. No reason why Dempsey & Morley can’t be our central pairing. Both can play a bit and both can put a foot in.

If the back 3 behind them were a bit more solid, it wouldn’t even be up for debate

Our recruitment of a RWB (ideally Fossey) will be critical for that back 3 next season. Allows Gethin to drop in there and Just calm them all down. He’s been nothing short of fantastic for this club since day 1 but him playing out there affects everywhere else massively 

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

Stubborn, gets stuff wrong , mouth doesn’t always help?

Sounds like a Wanderer to me 

Yep I'm guilty of that. Sorry Mantra you were right what I said was totally uncalled for. No excuse you are a fellow Wanderer and hadn't really said anything wrong. Playing that lot makes me bad tempered and lose reason it's why I didn't go yesterday. I hope Kachunga really shows what he can do for us. 

• Members
19 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Yep I'm guilty of that. Sorry Mantra you were right what I said was totally uncalled for. No excuse you are a fellow Wanderer and hadn't really said anything wrong. Playing that lot makes me bad tempered and lose reason it's why I didn't go yesterday. I hope Kachunga really shows what he can do for us. 

All human and wanderers on here mate. Gonna have frustrating times and we all want the team to do well, probably why it’s such a good platform to discuss it

15 hours ago, burnden said:

and then he wonders why folk despise him ....fucking horrible cunt

No idea if this is genuine or not but if it is just shows how small time he is. Imagine someone asking him the highlights of his career and having a couple of good games against Bolton in League 1 being worthy of a mention. Tinpot.

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Agreed. No reason why Dempsey & Morley can’t be our central pairing. Both can play a bit and both can put a foot in.

If the back 3 behind them were a bit more solid, it wouldn’t even be up for debate

Yes very much, Lee & MJ have done well for us and will be great within the squad but we’re moving on

not IE type of player but we still need a wheater like defender to do the ugly stuff

Felt we gave far too much respect to Wigan who even in their dominate first half looked bang average. A good team would of buried us in similar fashion to how we did Sunderland etc. 

Encouraged if that’s the standard we need to hit next season though as it shows we’ve not a lot to do this summer.

Was really frustrating we didn’t pepper McLean in second half as he was a red card waiting to happen. I can’t understand why it was either not discussed or worked.

Bods goal was superb. We were running em ragged near the end.

6 minutes ago, perth_white said:

No idea if this is genuine or not but if it is just shows how small time he is. Imagine someone asking him the highlights of his career and having a couple of good games against Bolton in League 1 being worthy of a mention. Tinpot.

Haha what a time to be James McLean 

Also not read the thread but if not mentioned, Magennis claiming the first goal was more embarrassing than our first half hour performance haha

Edited by tomski