Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (A)

Rudy

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

Pretty sure looking at that Kachunga is fouled by their player throwing him to the ground.

Sad reflection that only 3 of their players celebrate in front on their fans rest run to Bolton end. 

I think some people on here do need to read back their posts on our players. Other than Santos think pretty much the whole starting 11 and a few not playing due to injury have been called out as not good enough or ones we have to move on from. On IE one thing I think we have lacked since he got here other than when on that run last year is a best starting 11. The one we play week in week out. Even with injuries this year it would be hard to call. Get that stability and consistency next year would IMO be a massive boost. 

That’s what kachunga was looking for, was pathetic the player hardly touched him and he threw himself to the floor… Evatt won’t have missed that. 

• Members
41 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That’s what kachunga was looking for, was pathetic the player hardly touched him and he threw himself to the floor… Evatt won’t have missed that. 

If you’re the opposition and you see a player go down Like that you immediately think soft bastard doesn’t want this today. Weak mentality, piss poor. 

7 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Bad starting selection for me and Wigan couldn’t take advantage of it

However complete turn around second half and we had them on the ropes for a majority of it if we scored ten minutes earlier we win

Dempsey looked up for it a massive improvement well done 

The new system since January with wingbacks has obviously been a success, but surely that's based on Fossey and John being available?  It seems odd to me to abandon 4-4-2 completely even when we don't have the wingbacks.

I like Aimson, but this system doesn't suit him, he's an old fashioned stopper centre back, and arguably either playing him in a 442 or resting him would strengthen the team.  Added to the strange selection of Kachunga over Baka/Bod, a draw is a great result but frustrating that it could have been better if we'd turned up in the first half.

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Yes very much, Lee & MJ have done well for us and will be great within the squad but we’re moving on

not IE type of player but we still need a wheater like defender to do the ugly stuff

I get the moving on bit and some players fall by the wayside, but I wouldn't have Lee in that bracket, unless he comes back looking less of the player we know.  Prior to his injury he was running some games, an absolute pleasure to watch.  As good as Dempsey and Morley can be I haven't seen a performance by either yet that is as good as what Lee offers when he's on form.  Although like many in our squad, I'd say he can go missing in away games, we're a different team at home.  For me he doesn't have to start every game but he'd be in the squad every single week he's fit and would get on the pitch most games, and rested for some. 

12 minutes ago, Rudy said:

If you’re the opposition and you see a player go down Like that you immediately think soft bastard doesn’t want this today. Weak mentality, piss poor. 

Have to agree… so wanted him to perform yesterday, there’s a player in there but mentally not at the races for me….. looked as though he did not fancy it. 

• Members
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Have to agree… so wanted him to perform yesterday, there’s a player in there but mentally not at the races for me….. looked as though he did not fancy it. 

If you can’t get up for a derby then what’s the point 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Problem with that is, as long as we’ve got Santos then the Wheater-like defender would need to play left or right of the 3, and therefore absolutely be required to play football - otherwise the system collapses like we have seen with Aimson.

The challenge is to find another 2 Santos’, one of which is left footed… good luck with that! (To be fair, Jones is more than good enough so it’s really the left side of the 3 and making sure we get a RWB, which means Jones can stay in the back 3, and adequate cover which we just don’t have at the moment).

On your MJ / Lee point - I agree with MJ but still think that Lee has a lot to offer and if it wasn’t for his injury then I’d have him as my first choice in that position at the top of the midfield, especially in games like yesterday. How he comes back from his injury and how long he can keep his work rate for is another question though - I think he’ll play a bigger role than MJ next season.

You beat me to it!  Agree with all the points you made too, well put.

Andy Walker criticising Celtic for playing too much football from the back, inviting pressure and causing their own mistakes against Rangers, 'Go longer and make the striker fight for it!'.

And that is exactly us in these kinda of matches, rabbit in headlights for first 15/20 mins so maybe we do need a slightly different approach until the game calms down and we can play football, and do what we do???

Edited by JimmyRiddle

Went off piste - without guidance from Grumpy Bat .

School boy error !!!!

7.45 early rattler from Howfen to Wigan. Just myself the dog , young pup and his mate .

Straight to The Moon . " sorry luv not open till 10."

Blind panic - taxi to Westhoughton Spoons . Place rammed out . Ordered breakfast but no ale till 9.

Quick text to White Lion  , after clearing breakfast nipped over for a couple of pints of Joey Holts.

Taxi back to Wigan , no chance of Spoons , got in the Raven . Plenty of locals and stuffed Imparla's on the walls.

Brisk walk to the ground past picturesque scrap yards . Packed away end in good voice. Pity the paddy's speculative cross went in.

Half time discussion with Sputnik,  failed to mention a draw or win and we were not getting the official coaches back.

Must better second half performance just a pity we couldn't get the win.

Once released from the GMP pen , straight onto the canal.

Some how just managed to get on the bridge before the Bolton Fans were held back.

Resulting in a easy walk back to the Raven. 

17.00 train back to Howfen. 

Great day out .

20220402_145358.jpg

Just now, embankment said:

School boy error !!!!

7.45 early rattler from Howfen to Wigan. Just myself the dog , young pup and his mate .

Blind panic - taxi to Westhoughton Spoons . Place rammed out . Ordered breakfast but no ale till 9.

Quick text to White Lion  , after clearing breakfast nipped over for a couple of pints of Joey Holts.

Taxi back to Wigan , no chance of Spoons , got in the Raven . Plenty of locals and stuffed Imparla's on the walls.

Brisk walk to the ground past picturesque scrap yards . Packed away end in good voice. Pity the paddy's speculative cross went in.

Half time discussion with Sputnik,  failed to mention a draw or win and we were not getting the official coaches back.

Some how just managed to get on the bridge before the Bolton Fans were held back.

Great day out .

20220402_145358.jpg

Seen one of your men back at Bolton bus station last night 

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Best number 10 when fit

big difference 

That applies to a lot of players to be fair.  Its not like we have to pick a first XI and stick with it for the season.  On that basis we would discount Fossey, Baka, Kachunga, Isgrove, Sheehan, Jones.   Lee's been no more injured than those and made 30 appearances to date, and is the only midfielder (discounting Dapo) that regularly scores and assists from open play. 

Edited by Johnnyrotten
error

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Pretty sure looking at that Kachunga is fouled by their player throwing him to the ground.

Sad reflection that only 3 of their players celebrate in front on their fans rest run to Bolton end. 

I think some people on here do need to read back their posts on our players. Other than Santos think pretty much the whole starting 11 and a few not playing due to injury have been called out as not good enough or ones we have to move on from. On IE one thing I think we have lacked since he got here other than when on that run last year is a best starting 11. The one we play week in week out. Even with injuries this year it would be hard to call. Get that stability and consistency next year would IMO be a massive boost. 

I'm not sure Jones, Morley, Sadlier, Charles and Dapo have ever been called not good enough?  Occasional frustration that Dapo drifts out of games but nobody questions why he's picked surely.  Agreed the other 4 outfield players have been questioned at times but if we had to start Aimson, Johnstone, MJ and Kachunga in every game we wouldn't be getting relegated.  18 months ago we were picking some players that wouldn't improve many National League teams so that's progress.  

39 minutes ago, embankment said:

School boy error !!!!

Great day out .

20220402_145358.jpg

You haven't mentioned your pizza....

59 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not sure Jones, Morley, Sadlier, Charles and Dapo have ever been called not good enough?  Occasional frustration that Dapo drifts out of games but nobody questions why he's picked surely.  Agreed the other 4 outfield players have been questioned at times but if we had to start Aimson, Johnstone, MJ and Kachunga in every game we wouldn't be getting relegated.  18 months ago we were picking some players that wouldn't improve many National League teams so that's progress.  

Read back and Sadlier, Charles and Dapo all criticised in this thread, Charles lack of goals recently, Dapo for going missing in recent games, Sadlier for not having a position. 

For me this has been the best season in years, the squad is improving, the club is run better, the away days have been great. Under Parky when promoted the style of football was criticised , last year no fans in the ground meant it did not compare. Of course things can and hopefully will improve but this thread has a lot of people picking out individual players which when taken as one off posts are nt too bad but when taken together just seems unfair. 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

His body language was shocking! 

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The new system since January with wingbacks has obviously been a success, but surely that's based on Fossey and John being available?  It seems odd to me to abandon 4-4-2 completely even when we don't have the wingbacks.

I like Aimson, but this system doesn't suit him, he's an old fashioned stopper centre back, and arguably either playing him in a 442 or resting him would strengthen the team.  Added to the strange selection of Kachunga over Baka/Bod, a draw is a great result but frustrating that it could have been better if we'd turned up in the first half.

I agree a change in shape might be a good idea.

It's not just that we're asking Aimson fo do something he can't do but two of our moat lively forward players (Dapo and Sadlier) are playing in less than ideal positions to accommodate it.