Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (A)

Rudy

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

They were acting like G4s bouncers today.

Cunts the lot of them

Conversely, I was standing at the front next to the row of coppers who were “keeping us safe” after the game. Along with folk around me, including Desparado, had a reasonable craic with the coppers closest to us.

Perhaps the difference is we weren’t dancing about being Johnny Concrete and instead patiently waited for the blockade to be opened. 

• Members
Just now, MickyD said:

Conversely, I was standing at the front next to the row of coppers who were “keeping us safe” after the game. Along with folk around me, including Desparado, had a reasonable craic with the coppers closest to us.

Perhaps the difference is we weren’t dancing about being Johnny Concrete and instead patiently waited for the blockade to be opened. 

There were a few who had a bit too much to drink but didn’t see anyone who was getting out of hand. OB turned up for it today and a few seemed fired up for it. Owd fella in front of me walking along the canal was chanting Bolton til I die copper gave him a nudge, off balance and pissed he hit the deck. That sparked it off but it was the OB who were being heavy handed 

8 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Is this in reference to the clip at the bottom of the steps?

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Mantra said:

Bit uncalled for?

Absolutely completely uncalled for. I don’t get @Max Cherry. Sometimes comes across as a good bloke, other times like a right twat. Sort yourself out, you are talking to fellow whites on here, don’t be so condescending.

26 minutes ago, MickyD said:

You’re right @MickyD not ideal to be kept waiting, but they are doing their job, no need to kick off and give them shit.

Overall a good day. We drew away from home against a side who are going to get promoted. And we had them on the ropes the last 10. Natural order will be resumed in next couple of seasons 

Edited by desperado

We obviously improved the squad in Jan, but we’re still lacking depth in some areas (mainly at the back) and it shows when we lose an important player or two - like we have Jones and now Fossey.

Aimson is an old school centre back that is at his best in a back 4 - what he doesn’t want to do is play on the right of a 3 and have loads of possession, it’s not his game and it shows (he had a shocker today). The thing is, teams have figured it out and set up to let him be the out-ball, they know that he’s unlikely to hurt them and will probably lose it as long as they’re doing a half decent job of marking. It’s not really his fault, but it completely ruins our game and how this formation works best - the problem with having one player who can play that position and one RWB.

Sadlier isn’t a wing back (and Gordon isn’t a footballer), so as soon as we lose John then we’re fucked on that side too.

Johnston is ok with the ball and has good positioning, but he’s weak as piss and can’t win a header. Again, teams have very easily figured out that if they put a big man on his side then it’s an easy way to get up the pitch because they’ll win it every time. Magennis did it over and over again today and I don’t think Johnston won one.

Santos looks as good as I’ve seen him at the moment - hope we can keep him in the summer, he’s getting better and better.

2 new centre backs in summer and decent cover for wingbacks - otherwise the system falls apart with only 1 or 2 injuries.

Someone mentioned earlier that is has to be one of JDB/Baka and one of Kachunga/Charles. I disagree. It has to be JDB plus one of the other 3. None of them can do what he does and he’d start every game for me as long as he’s fit. He changed the game (along with Dempsey who was very good and should start on Tuesday) and his finish was top class. Charles is out of form and I’d probably start the two that finished today on Tuesday, but I’ll be more than happy with those 3 as our options going into next season (not made my mind up on Kachunga).

MJ’s days are numbered. Game passed him by and he’s getting weaker and weaker in the tackle. He won’t be a starter next season but can’t fault him for what he’s done for us over the past 2 seasons - we’re just getting to a level that is too fast for how he plays (and opponents at the top end of L1 are too fast for him).

Yet to be convinced that Dapo is a 10. He looked back to his best at times today - but it was always when he was coming in off the wing. Probably the biggest question of the summer is do we try and cash in on our most saleable asset, that actually doesn’t really fit into our new system? Personally I’d love to keep him because he changes games, but there’s no doubt he’s less effective central than on the wing.

Glad we got something from the game, glad we dented their promotion push, thought we were awful for the first 30, ok for 15 then very good 2nd half and looked like the team that would win it, glad McLean is fucked, looking forward to a nice relaxing final few games with little stress and hopefully some good football to end the season, trust Evatt to make the right decisions which will make us stronger next season.

Not a bad place to be!

Awful first 30 mins then slowly dragged ourselves back into the game. They had a few moments but no great chances. Away from home against the supposed best team in the league you are never going to have a great amount of chances, but 2nd half we probed, penned them in and got our reward. We looked the most likely to win. Thought they would be better than they showed. Basically a long ball physical team and we stood up to it for the most part and showed what a good side we are and what we can be. 

Always worth looking back a year for a bit of perspective.  Same weekend last April (Easter weekend), that awful 0-0 v Colchester followed by a 1-0 defeat at Newport.  Today we brought on subs that changed the game, at Newport we brought on Zebedi and Maddison.  Things have improved and will be better still next year.

I can't be arsed reading post match comments... But Wigan are no great shakes.

Better than us because they've got some nowty bastards

Technically they're still egg chasing the useless 6 fingered cunts. 

Cloggers have got 4 points off us this season. We'll have a chance to make amends when they fuck up in the playoffs. 

"tics" - fucking melts 

Would have taken a point before KO

So happy with one at the end

But

I think IE gets the team right from KO plus we don’t start like scared bunnies and we win that by 2 or 3.

And that’s a compliment to IE and the progress we’ve made longer term. He’s still learning and we’re still 2/3 players off challenging (that’s if we retain all we want and Fossey returns for example)

Agree that Aimson ain’t good enough for the way we play and although I’d keep him for the squad, we’ve outgrown MJ. The better we’ve got, the less influential he’s been.

On the Kachunga debate, he’s a really talented player but not sure we’ll ever see much product from him (like Ngog maybe), and to play him today was a mistake - as was Sadlier on the left - when Wigan are power and pace especially 

charles may have been anonymous but he’s had a thankless task - chasing long diag balls and defenders. Him off JDB/Baka works in my head 

Rico MOM for us IMO/ he seems really on it again 

Most importantly we need to keep IE and back him. He gets stiff wrong, he’s stubborn, and his mouth/actions don’t always help but he’s the man to keep us going forward - I’m utterly convinced 

Be reet. Straight up next season 👍🏻

Edited by jules_darby

• Members
1 minute ago, jules_darby said:

Would have taken a point before KO

So happy with one at the end

But

I think IE gets the team right from KO plus we don’t start like scared bunnies and we win that by 2 or 3.

And that’s a compliment to IE and the progress we’ve made longer term. He’s still learning and we’re still 2/3 players off challenging (that’s if we retain all we want and Fossey returns for example)

Agree that Aimson ain’t good enough for the way we play and although I’d keep him for the squad, we’ve outgrown MJ. The better we’ve got, the less influential he’s been.

On the Kachunga debate, he’s a really talented player but not sure we’ll ever see much product from him (like Ngog maybe), and to play him today was a mistake - as was Sadlier on the left - they’re power and pace.

charles may have been anonymous but he’s had a thankless task - chasing long diag balls and defenders. Him off JDB/Baka works in my head 

Rico MOM for us IMO/ he seems really on it again 

Most importantly we need to keep IE and back him. He gets stiff wrong, he’s stubborn, and his mouth/actions don’t always help but he’s the man to keep us going forward - I’m utterly convinced 

Be reet. Straight up next season 👍🏻

Stubborn, gets stuff wrong , mouth doesn’t always help?

Sounds like a Wanderer to me 

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

And all the stewards in bump-hats. They obviously didn’t get the memo that Neil Hart has forbidden Bolton fans from chucking stuff.

Neither did whichever dickhead decided to rip the back of a seat off and launch it at our own supporters in about the 90th minute. Hit the 2 guys in front of me at full tilt in the back of their heads - luckily didn’t cause any major damage.

It was number 68 and I was row CC, so I’d imagine it came from HH or around there. We’ve got some thick twats that follow the club - the age old 50% rule is bollocks in cases like that, and Wigan away seems to bring out plenty of them.

I went in with the yokels today. 

Mate's a Wigan fan (they DO exist), figured it would be a different experience. Suffice to say, as a fanbase, I still can't stand them.

Not our best performance today, especially in the middle, but I'd have taken a point beforehand. And a late equaliser is always sweet, even if I had difficulty containing my joy 🙂

McLean, as much of a prick as he is, got a harsh yellow first time round, for me. Bit of evening up with the definite yellow before HT? Either way, fuck him. No-mark plodder who will get found out in the championship. 

Far from Aimson's best game, odd tactics getting our technically most limited player playing long balls. But hey, trust the system. By far the better side second half, as Wigan were blowing, as we're seeing so often. Lovely header from JDB. 

Well done to the 4k, suitably noisy, especially in the latter stages. 👏 Did us proud again.

20220402_143324.jpg