Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Supporters Trust meeting with Neil Hart

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, royal white said:

You asked me to post links, I was happy to oblige. I thought it was quite cute how you changed your profile picture as soon as I posted the link 😂😂😘

I think it's quite cute how you care about me enough to post my personal details on here 😁 Not in the slightest bit obsessive or stalkerish 😂

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, royal white said:

Yep, you did 

“Maybe you can post the link again then to prove you're not making things up”

😁 That was in reference to you claiming miami had evidence of me "abusing" people online. Still waiting for that...

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

😁 That was in reference to you claiming miami had evidence of me "abusing" people online. Still waiting for that...

There you go again, making things up.

“As for the other platforms I think it was Miami who posted a link to your Twitter a few years back, there’s plenty of abuse on there aimed at others”. 

I never said Miami had evidence of you abusing folk online, I said I think he posted your Twitter details. 

Edited by royal white

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, royal white said:

There you go again, making things up.

“As for the other platforms I think it was Miami who posted a link to your Twitter a few years back, there’s plenty of abuse on there aimed at others”. 

I never said Miami had evidence of you abusing folk online, I said I think he posted your Twitter details. 

Ok mate. Goodnight. See you in your dreams x

• Site Supporter
Bolton Wanderers Supporters' Trust
The figure you quote was for the most recent accounting period when we invested substantially in updating our website and improving the payments system for membership fees. This is not actually reflective of the regular average annual cost.
Running a transactional website with a database of around 6000 requires a professionally constructed and securely maintained website. This includes hosting, domain registration and maintenance, data security and GDPR compliance, SSL certificate, email, website, Facebook and Twitter content, preparation and posting.
In addition, we have also added our YouTube channel recently which requires content production and editing and we also had to create the facility to hold our AGMs on line which means a professional Zoom subscription and extra technical support to facilitate this.
In order to provide supporter feedback to the club we also conduct regular surveys to inform our discussions with the club and this too is an additional cost.
It should be noted that the usual annual cost is considerably less than this but in any event, all this information is freely available with the annual accounts posted on our website in the documents section. Should anyone require any further information please do get in touch.

As pointed out by Royal White it took them 4 days to come up with that.

"we have also added our YouTube channel recently which requires content production and editing" was my favourite bit.  The YouTube channel has 238 subscribers and 16 videos of which only 3 have been put up in the last 12 months. None of which carry any production costs other than a twenty quid webcam.

Absolute charlatans.

I keep asking who does their IT, they keep ignoring it.

Edit :  In their reply they make out its a big one off type bill as they've invested heavily.  I pointed out the IT bloke also got paid a similar amount and ratio last year too so it isn't one off at all.  This also gets ignored.

They also make out the Fanzone is all down to them

Edited by barryk32

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

"we have also added our YouTube channel recently which requires content production and editing" was my favourite bit.  The YouTube channel has 238 subscribers and 16 videos of which only 3 have been put up in the last 12 months. None of which carry any production costs other than a twenty quid webcam.

Absolute charlatans.

Edit :  In their reply they make out its a big one off type bill as they've invested heavily.  I pointed out the IT bloke also got paid a similar amount and ratio last year too so it isn't one off at all.  This also gets ignored.

I offered to help with their IT when they first started as I had worked in that field for 25 years.

No reply.

1 hour ago, barryk32 said:

Absolute charlatans.

Wonder why the amateur accountants on twitter aren't all over this?

Where is Smurf, Shortland and that bearded nonce howell?

• Moderators

ok,breaking this down a bit, based on my experience

Running a transactional website with a database of around 6000 requires a professionally constructed and securely maintained website.

it does, but it runs on a free platform and a site like that should take a few days to knock up at best

regards transactions - this would be the most "complicated" aspect, but, from what I can see, the site integrates with paypal, so all they should in theory need to do is set up a paypal account (which is free), and then either get the code required to intergate from within their paypal, or, use a plugin on the website to help do this

all transactions should be dealt with via paypal or using a plugin, it's not like this needs a developer to specfiically code this for them

e.g.

this pluing is free:

as it says on that page:

No fees associated with Joomla paypal module
The fact that you don't need to integrate with any complex payment gateway ensures that it is very simple and cost-effective to use this donation module. In essence, the only fees your Joomla donate button will incur are those imposed through Paypal, but of course, using Paypal is also mitigating a lot of risk for you.

see below for securely maintained

This includes hosting,

as said, looking at their hosting packages, £92 a month should be enough for a site like this

domain registration and maintenance,

they already owned the domain, it was bought on 16/10/12
even then, it's only going to be something like £10 a year
dunno what maintenance means in relation to a domain, they just auto renew 
if they mean website maintenance, that's all done by automoatic updates, all they have to do is a click buttons and the site does the rest

data security and GDPR compliance, SSL certificate

you don't actually have to do anything here re: data security and GDPR compliance
you just knock up a policy that says "we promise not to sell your data to anyone, or spam you"
the data security aspect would be part of the hosting package
as should the SSL certificate, they don't cost anything these days for sites like this 

email, website

email  should covered by hosting
website, they already mentioned that

Facebook and Twitter content, preparation and posting.

a question of time really, but it doesnt' look like much effort and I doubt their IT guy does it

here a post from last week, most of the time, they're just sharing content

RzzoVjZ.jpg

In addition, we have also added our YouTube channel recently which requires content production and editing

you already covered this

and we also had to create the facility to hold our AGMs on line which means a professional Zoom subscription and extra technical support to facilitate this.

Zoom pro is £120 a year
support would cover schedulign a meeting, and sending out invites

In order to provide supporter feedback to the club we also conduct regular surveys to inform our discussions with the club and this too is an additional cost.

I don't know what they use but survey monkey is free, if they are paying it's £25-£75 a month, but that's for proper pro features I doubt they need

so yeah, as said already, someone is taking the piss

I'd be amazed if one company/person does all the above

and even if they did, I don't think it justifies £14k per year

a supporters trust should be able to find folk to do the legwork around content and marketing for peanuts

Can’t say I care too much about the ST one way or another.

Think it’s fair to say it’s been a bit of a fail.

That said unless I’ve misunderstood the tenner they’ve asked for us voluntary and not being taken out of accounts? 

20 hours ago, tomski said:

Can’t say I care too much about the ST one way or another.

Think it’s fair to say it’s been a bit of a fail.

That said unless I’ve misunderstood the tenner they’ve asked for us voluntary and not being taken out of accounts? 

It was supposed to be a tenner yearly subscription, then they made it voluntary, now they're asking for a tenner yearly again. Can't make their minds up!

On 03/08/2022 at 14:52, Zico said:

ok,breaking this down a bit, based on my experience

Running a transactional website with a database of around 6000 requires a professionally constructed and securely maintained website.

it does, but it runs on a free platform and a site like that should take a few days to knock up at best

regards transactions - this would be the most "complicated" aspect, but, from what I can see, the site integrates with paypal, so all they should in theory need to do is set up a paypal account (which is free), and then either get the code required to intergate from within their paypal, or, use a plugin on the website to help do this

all transactions should be dealt with via paypal or using a plugin, it's not like this needs a developer to specfiically code this for them

e.g.

this pluing is free:

as it says on that page:

No fees associated with Joomla paypal module
The fact that you don't need to integrate with any complex payment gateway ensures that it is very simple and cost-effective to use this donation module. In essence, the only fees your Joomla donate button will incur are those imposed through Paypal, but of course, using Paypal is also mitigating a lot of risk for you.

see below for securely maintained

This includes hosting,

as said, looking at their hosting packages, £92 a month should be enough for a site like this

domain registration and maintenance,

they already owned the domain, it was bought on 16/10/12
even then, it's only going to be something like £10 a year
dunno what maintenance means in relation to a domain, they just auto renew 
if they mean website maintenance, that's all done by automoatic updates, all they have to do is a click buttons and the site does the rest

data security and GDPR compliance, SSL certificate

you don't actually have to do anything here re: data security and GDPR compliance
you just knock up a policy that says "we promise not to sell your data to anyone, or spam you"
the data security aspect would be part of the hosting package
as should the SSL certificate, they don't cost anything these days for sites like this 

email, website

email  should covered by hosting
website, they already mentioned that

Facebook and Twitter content, preparation and posting.

a question of time really, but it doesnt' look like much effort and I doubt their IT guy does it

here a post from last week, most of the time, they're just sharing content

RzzoVjZ.jpg 

In addition, we have also added our YouTube channel recently which requires content production and editing

you already covered this

and we also had to create the facility to hold our AGMs on line which means a professional Zoom subscription and extra technical support to facilitate this.

Zoom pro is £120 a year
support would cover schedulign a meeting, and sending out invites

I don't know what they use but survey monkey is free, if they are paying it's £25-£75 a month, but that's for proper pro features I doubt they need

so yeah, as said already, someone is taking the piss

I'd be amazed if one company/person does all the above

and even if they did, I don't think it justifies £14k per year

a supporters trust should be able to find folk to do the legwork around content and marketing for peanuts

So someone is taking the piss somewhere?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

So someone is taking the piss somewhere?

reckon so

I'd be amazed if they shopped around and got quotes and whoever they are paying are the best option

or that they just happened to stumble across Bolton's most expensite web developer/IT support company

I'm not bothered  myself, I paid my £10 for them to pay a pain in KAs arse, and they were

once he was gone and FV came in, I think they became a pointless entity so no longer donating

if I was, then I saw this explanation for where the money went, I'd be pissed off as it looks like they creaming it

so am happy to pick apart their explanations as to where the money as gone so anyone who feels so inclined can take issue withthem