Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

B team

Biggish Dave

• Site Supporter

Looks like a few new players incoming for the B team next season.

I would imagine a good few of these will be made up of 18/19 year old released from our near city neighbours.

At last, building blocks starting to fit into place again below 1st team level

I know money matters and we were in drastic times but stopping the flow of players is never clever. If there's a youth set up and competitive contests for the fringe players where they keep fit, strong and coached into the first team style that can only be good.

As said, despise it as I might, some very good players get released from on our doorstep. We should be viewed as a good option for those.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Another positive step towards us becoming a proper functioning football club. We are going in the right direction and when fans, players, manager and owners pull the same way good things happen. 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/20036566.ian-evatt-reveals-bolton-wanderers-will-launch-b-team-next-season/

Might indicate that IE doesn’t intend on going anywhere 

I believe we are allowed a squad of 22 for the first team in League 1 ... but I think I am right in saying that  number does not include goalkeepers or under 21s. Having this B team might actually allow a slightly bigger first team pool if one or two of those B teamers can be considered first-team worthy. Be interesting to see if there's any fanfare around the recruitment.

It also occurred to me that Baptiste might be given the coaching role as a neat way of ending his playing career but with Evatt still able to show him some loyalty.

• Site Supporter

Aye, jobs for the boys has to be a thing of the past. Most of our local neighbours have very good academy/youth set ups which bring a number of players through. Ours has been crap for years.

If Baps is the best man for the job, great. If not, get someone who is.

Edited by Biggish Dave

8 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Aye, jobs for the boys has to be a thing of the past. Most of our local neighbours have very good academy/youth set ups which bring a number of players through. Ours has been crap for years.

Anyone else noticed Baps spends all his time with Thomason on warm ups etc… perhaps he’s already unofficially taking that type of role. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I know 1 or 2 very promising players in the development squad, which is mainly used as a BTEC College education programme.

1 is wanted by Rochdale, so this B-Team would be an opportunity for the club to keep him and offer him a good development into the men’s game.

Its the hardest part of a players development, and why soooo many young lads don’t push on past 20/21.

Edited by Pablo

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Pablo said:

I know 1 or 2 very promising players in the development squad, which is mainly used as a BTEC College education programme.

1 is wanted by Rochdale, so this B-Team would be an opportunity for the club to keep him and offer him a good development into the men’s game.

Its the hardest part of a players development, and why soooo many young lads don’t push on past 20/21.

From experience with my own lad, one of the reasons players don’t go on much beyond 20-21 (I actually thought it was 18) is because that seems to be the age the team pretty much splits into two types of player:

The first group are the skilful ball players who try to beat opponents with skill and guile.

The second group are those who got found out and resort to rough-house tactics.

When type one comes up against another type one player it becomes a decent display of football skills. When type one comes up against a type two player he gets lumps kicked out of him. Ref then (eventually) sends off the hacker after about three verbal warnings and a yellow card go unheeded.

When two type two players are up against each other, MMA could learn a thing or two!

The decent players end up playing 9 a side because their own hackers get red carded too. You kind f lose interest in the game after a season like that.

• Members
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

From experience with my own lad, one of the reasons players don’t go on much beyond 20-21 (I actually thought it was 18) is because that seems to be the age the team pretty much splits into two types of player:

The first group are the skilful ball players who try to beat opponents with skill and guile.

When type one comes up against another type one player it becomes a decent display of football skills. When type one comes up against a type two player he gets lumps kicked out of him. Ref then (eventually) sends off the hacker after about three verbal warnings and a yellow card go unheeded.

When two type two players are up against each other, MMA could learn a thing or two!

The decent players end up playing 9 a side because their own hackers get red carded too. You kind f lose interest in the game after a season like that.

Do you remember years ago the FA did a total reform of grassroots football. 
They did a pretty intensive questionnaire sent out to coaches and parents. The findings were pretty much they want a flair player or a daft twat who would snap you in two and would  head a kettle if asked. 

When they went to Germany to look at their academies , the Germans laughed and said you’re obsessed with finding a star we’re obsessed with finding squads and teams. 

Greg Dyke said unfortunately they were right and they had to rip everything up and start again.

We’re now starting to see the benefits really coming through.

Edited by Rudy

21 hours ago, MickyD said:

I just think the transition from "kids" football to mens football is massive, and many players can't transfer from a really good kid/youth player to a good adult player.

Young lads play on instinct and impulse in the main, and the older players you play against have developed to use their brain more and think about the game.....Some never develop that side, and play like a kid still in mid 20's, so get found out, and drop away.

• Site Supporter
On 05/04/2022 at 10:05, Biggish Dave said:

What's muamba going to be doing? Or is that not happening?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

B Team Central League and Cup 2022/23 fixtures

Tuesday 16/08/2022: Fleetwood Town A 13:00 Central League

Wednesday 07/09/2022: Huddersfield Town H 14:00 Central League Cup

Wednesday 14/09/2022: Wrexham H 14:00 Central League

Tuesday 11/10/2022: Lincoln City H 14:00 Central League Cup

Wednesday 26/10/2022: Accrington Stanley H 13:00 Central League

Wednesday 02/11/2022: Preston North End H 13:00 Central League

Wednesday 09/11/2022: Huddersfield Town A 13:00 Central League

Tuesday 06/12/2022: Rotherham United A 13:00 Central League Cup

Tuesday 13/12/2022: Rochdale A 13:00 Central League Cup