Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Neil Hart

barryk32

Saw one Sheffield nob after the game run from the away car park area towards the Bolton fans who were walking on the path to Tesco, he was shouting all sorts of threatening bollocks.

He seemed to notice he had a problem when -

1, He ran down the grass verge and saw the brook was crossing his path.

2, He turned around looking for his mates, then realised he was all on his own.

Dozens of Bolton fans pissing their sides seemed to infuriate him even more.

Bless

Edited by Burndens Bogs

20 hours ago, bwfc2003 said:

I can only think of wigan where we have been kept in over the last few years

That's what I was thinking, I thought being kept in was a thing of the past (except Wigan).  I can't remember being kept in in donkeys years (not claiming to have gone to nearly as many as some on here).  I'd be pissed off if I was kept in, its hard enough getting away from some away grounds as it is.  In the 80s and 90s it was always a bugbear that they'd keep you in at Boro or Wolves or Derby and when you came out you were an obvious target, all the home thugs have had time to gather on street corners while you're walking in the dark in a group of 2 or 3 trying not to make eye contact or give your accent away.  When they stopped keeping us in, aways were a far less intimidating experience for those of us not looking for a scrap to round off the day.

9 hours ago, DaisyHWanderer said:

I remember them putting fences up at the esl south corner

Yeah was some kind of baracade. Think it was Wigan and Blackpool plus a few others. 

Thing is flash points have always happened with big followings. I just dont get the sudden hysteria about it all.

Its a football match with two sets of fans being let out at the same time on the same car park. Chuck some extra police on there with a few dogs ffs, its hardly the brixton riots.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Yeah was some kind of baracade. Think it was Wigan and Blackpool plus a few others. 

Thing is flash points have always happened with big followings. I just dont get the sudden hysteria about it all.

Its a football match with two sets of fans being let out at the same time on the same car park. Chuck some extra police on there with a few dogs ffs, its hardly the brixton riots.

Might be wrong but Blackburn or Burnley comes to mind, might've been one of the Coyle games

7 minutes ago, tomski said:

Burnley first game under Coyle.

I left early as was on crutches. There was already a full blown scrap taking place on the grass and some lad was getting twatted by 3 coppers in between two cars :D

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, L/H White said:

remember milwall keeping us in at the fa cup game

Yep, so that's 4 I'm up to now 

2 on foreign soil 

It's definitely something the police and club need to consider if they think there's a problem  

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Dont understand why they dont use dogs anymore - one hell of a deterrent having Rover stick his teeth in your leg - you certainly didnt feel like a scrap then

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, bwfc2003 said:

Dont understand why they dont use dogs anymore - one hell of a deterrent having Rover stick his teeth in your leg - you certainly didnt feel like a scrap then

Perhaps there’s a lack of aggressive-dog officers. Greater Manchester has a lot of football games and they undoubtedly can’t all have half a dozen horses and dogs.

• Members
7 hours ago, tomski said:

Burnley first game under Coyle.

That was a moody fuckin game. I’ve not heard opposition fans ever ever boo someone as loud as they booed Coyle. It was deafening. Felt like it was going to go off any minute. 

That banner their fans had "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" still gets quoted in our house whenever a newish manager loses his initial shine.  Gerrard, Lampard, Rangnick have all been The Messiah early in their managerial spells this season but now tending more towards Naughty Boy status.