Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheff Weds (H)

Burndens Bogs

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That was the first time I went on the sacred Burnden pitch.  What a dump!  More sand than grass.  My only other pitch invasion there was the PNE promotion.  

Yes, waiting for Cardiff to lose their last game about a week later before we were safe was a joke, that's one thing that's improved, leagues finishing on the same day (I remember Coventry having 3 games left to avoid relegation in the 80s.  One was against the champions Everton who fielded a weakened team.  Cov won all 3 to send Norwich down who'd finished their season 2 weeks earlier!). 

Cardiff's first game in hand was at Grimsby. They had to win both and it was 0-0 at Blundell Park until very late when a lad called Tarki Micallef scored for them. Horrible. All came down to the last game against already promoted Luton at Cardiff. We were worried Luton would be on the beach but they did us a right favour.

• Members
12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ever the diplomat :)

as for the game, the BN article also explains that a number are Ill within the squad.

Doesn't say so, but maybe covid striking again.

God knows what team Evatt will be able to put out.

There’s three players who have been carrying some niggling injuries the last 4 weeks. Not bad enough to stop them playing but not 100% fit . Small tears and strains.  
They’ve got some equipment going in over the summer that should reduce these small tears as well

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Cardiff's first game in hand was at Grimsby. They had to win both and it was 0-0 at Blundell Park until very late when a lad called Tarki Micallef scored for them. Horrible. All came down to the last game against already promoted Luton at Cardiff. We were worried Luton would be on the beach but they did us a right favour.

It was the first year they used 3 points for a win too.  IIRC under the old 2 point system Wrexham would have stayed up that year and we'd have gone down.

19 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Adult & junior in ESL going if anyone wants

I’d have them please, unless someone has beat me to it by pm?

I’m already in the ESL with my daughter, they would be for other family members.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

I'm really hoping we turn up for this.  I hate it when other teams get to party at ours.  I had a nosey on Owlstalk and they're giddy at their huge following and the prospect of a day to remember if they win.  There's talk of several hundred Wednesdayites in our end too (you watching Mr Hart?).

3 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

It was the first year they used 3 points for a win too.  IIRC under the old 2 point system Wrexham would have stayed up that year and we'd have gone down.

The whole thing was by the skin of our teeth. The original great escape long before fans used to sing the theme tune from the film when getting towards the end of such a season! 

Paid the price the season after mind you! 

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I recall I wasn't that keyed up for it when they played at Grimsby, I just thought we'd done enough to stop up and sort of forgot about it.  Then realised they just had to beat Luton at home to stop up, and I was on pins.  If it was now Sky and 5 Live would be all over it, as well as us lot chatting about it as it happened.  But no coverage other than relying on the hourly sports update on radio 2 at 8pm, 9pm and 10pm, hanging on every word of some newsreader that couldn't have understood the impact on us of the words he was reading.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I recall I wasn't that keyed up for it when they played at Grimsby, I just thought we'd done enough to stop up and sort of forgot about it.  Then realised they just had to beat Luton at home to stop up, and I was on pins.  If it was now Sky and 5 Live would be all over it, as well as us lot chatting about it as it happened.  But no coverage other than relying on the hourly sports update on radio 2 at 8pm, 9pm and 10pm, hanging on every word of some newsreader that couldn't have understood the impact on us of the words he was reading.

That's about the size of it. In 1982 it was probably before most folk had Teletext too. That 9:55 sports bulletin on Radio 2 was tuned in to by many a twitchy football fan. None more so than us that week! 

3 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I'm really hoping we turn up for this.  I hate it when other teams get to party at ours.  I had a nosey on Owlstalk and they're giddy at their huge following and the prospect of a day to remember if they win.  There's talk of several hundred Wednesdayites in our end too (you watching Mr Hart?).

Yes, by all accounts 700 or so Owls fans joined our membership to get tickets. If true it’s going to be a bit of a question to answer for Mr H??

35 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Yes, by all accounts 700 or so Owls fans joined our membership to get tickets. If true it’s going to be a bit of a question to answer for Mr H??

If so, & I try to defend the guy as just trying to do a job, it's not clever.

But while we're here, isn't this supposed to be horrendously difficult and intrusive to join and damn-near impossible to actually get your tickets delivered even if you can slalom around the complexities of the scheme ?

We know this to be true because so many people have told us their tales of woe.

As a Wednesday fan please don't let Owlstalk cloud your judgement. 

Awful forum littered with people who don't go. 

Don't expect an easy game later today, it is not a happy hunting ground. 

Glad Kieran Lee has found a home at wanderers, but for injuries his career could have been better.