Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

My Dad - Retiring BWFC Tour Guide

desperado

• Site Supporter

Great comments. Thanks. He’ll be made up when I read them to him later. The Twitter post shows a picture of him. You may recognise him if you’ve done the tour. Look out for him East Lower row x 220 ish towards North Stand. 

6 hours ago, desperado said:

It’s a long read, but some of you might be interested..

On Sunday 10th April 2022, my 81 year old dad, Dave Vickers, will embark on his last tour, having been the official BWFC Tour Guide for 16 Years. 

It was a never a job for Dad, more a hobby, a pleasure, a pastime which allowed him to recall treasured memories and indulge himself into the history of Bolton Wanderers. To the delight of many customers 1 hour tours often took a lot longer as he ensured every photo, every trophy, every room, every stand low and high into the gantry were visited and stories relating to their importance were shared with detail, knowledge and passion which took fans back in time to relive some famous nostalgic bwfc moments.

Dad often used to receive thanks usually verbally and occasionally through cards and emails to the club.

One example came from George and June Quinn. “Our tour guide was Dave, he made us feel very welcome and we were treated to the most friendly and interesting tour. All parts of the stadium we saw were most impressive which together with Daves vast knowledge and friendly manner, made it a very enjoyable and memorable day” (30/01/2008)

Dads love of BWFC goes back 75 years, when as a 6 year old in 1945 he made his first visit to Burnden Park. 

He was taken by his dad, Jack Vickers, who has an extremely important claim to fame. Jack, while living next door to Nat Lofthouse on Thicketford Road, took Nat to his first ever Bolton game and from there Nats lifelong love affair with BWFC began.

Dad has continued to follow the Whites throughout the decades recalling special memories from the teams of the 70s, the renaissance years under Rioch, the famous European visits under Big Sam and the exciting current Era as Ian Evatt looks to bring BOLTON back to where they belong. 

He has passed this BWFC passion down a further 2 generations and now attends the game with his son Craig and 3 grandchildren Jack, Adam and Charlotte.

Dad will really miss sharing his love and passion of BWFC with others on his tours, but now is the right time for him to finally hang his boots up.

Dad is looking forward to celebrating his retirement and tributes will be officially paid to him at a future game. 

Fantastic bit of BWFC history… best wishes in retirement to your old fella. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I went to school with David Vickers who lived just off Thicketford Road, he'll be 65-66 like me now, coincidence or a big family?

Anyway, well done pal

He’s 81! 

Although in his mind 65 sounds about right 😂👍

• 2 weeks later...