Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

League 1 - What’s your verdict?

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter

This is before I've read others opinions.

The standard of football is, as expected much better, and with our new signing and confident approach we've acquitted ourselves very well. There have been a few downs but I'm pleased at how we've coped. The 'stuffings' we've taken have been as much to do with the opposition wanting to beat Bolton more than outclassing us (I'm thinking Stockport and Wigan).

Our reputation has gone before us, so I think it's fair to say we're not the popular side in the division.

FV have not (until recently) blotted their copybook apart from NeilCEO and his grassline.

The standard of refereeing hasn't improved in the slightest.

All in all it’s been a progressive season interrupted by a series of injuries to key players but if we can replace the players who’s contracts are up with quality incomings we should be well set to make at least the play offs. Only one at most of the “bigger” clubs can go up this season, although I still think it’s Wiggin, Millers and MK, which means we have a real tough task, especially with Derby coming down as well. That said if we recruit we’ll there’s no reason to fear anyone next season and I’m already looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

he isnt for me no

Each to their own but my opinion is that Santos is head and shoulders our best defender, both defensively and distribution-wise (and yes it would be nice to have a CB that could score too).  If we lost him we'd need some major surgery defensively,  rather than just some improvements, which would be unrealistic in one transfer window. 

first season back and miss festers 1st season, really enjoyed it, think the football has been frustrating at times and excellent in others, a few more strong signings, keep santos is a must for me and we could be pushing for playoffs at a push automatic , so good away days in this league, personally hope morecambe dont go. gutted crewe have gone, miss fester has enjoyed it. season tickets purchased for next season.

just hope the whites hotel dont fuck up with reflections, and the club continue to improve the pre match experience.

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

League 1 is a better standard this year than in any of our previous spells in the third tier in my opinion. Part of the reason for that has to be the queue of bigger clubs who would consider their rightful position in the football league pyramid to be one or even two divisions above this.

Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth and ourselves would always be looking to be dominant at this level. Rotherham, Wycombe and Oxford are also clubs who would have aspirations at higher levels and/or have spent time in the second tier etc. Meanwhile MK Dons are clearly well managed and looking up not down (Wigan pointedly not included in this paragraph). 

I would like Sunderland or Sheff Weds up through the plays offs to get them out of the way. Barnsley and Derby post-takeover will join the ranks and the queue of aspirants at the top end. We therefore have our work cut out next year, there's no question. It's going to be every bit as tough a league as this year. A top two finish would be a serious achievement and will require some intelligent transfer activity this summer.

Agree on most of that but my preference would be to keep Sunderland and Sheff Wed down just because they are the games that we'd look forward to more, the big game atmosphere doesn't come around very often in this league and we're already losing our "big" derby (tongue in cheek).  I'd much rather MK Dons aren't on our fixture list next season along with Plymouth, every chance they'd be as good as the other two anyway.

I fuckin love it. Enjoyed this season more than any other in the past 15 years or summet.

The standard is as you'd expect. Hard work and graft is the only way in this league. The standard in some games has been atrocious, especially thinking back to those dark winter months. 

Surprised how many higher placed teams came to spoil things at our gaff. 

We are where we are. Enjoy the ride and forget about the destination.

• Members

Enjoyed this season better than any for a good while , been disappointed not to be able to afford away days much , club is moving in the right direction

interested to see who comes in the next two windows and who leaves ....feels like we have an identity again .

Enjoyed it. It's been a decent standard of football & at our best, we've been great. A good mix of clubs & places to visit, the best atmosphere at home games in years until Neil the cunt killed it, the large numbers of yoof who've turned out have made for some lively away games & great support for the team.......good luck to them, I just hope i'm not stuck in the middle of them 😊.

Next season.....I'd guess there'll be around 10 clubs including us competing for the top 6, top 2 may be beyond us but i'll be hoping for the play offs. We can't rely on just good football though, we need to learn how to grind out some results & put a stop to getting steamrollered (often in bad weather ,away games !! ) & conceding the 1st goal so often. I've faith in IE to toughen us up a bit & looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Apart from the obvious answer of being eight places higher the only thing that would have added to this season would have been some derby wins. We've not had a single one in the league. Maybe we can partially rectify that record this year by beating Accy and Fleetwood at home.

That has been disappointing for sure, not least the Stockport debacle. A grim period that.

49 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

That has been disappointing for sure, not least the Stockport debacle. A grim period that.

Terrible. Lost our top scorer, club captain, Sheehan and twatted with covid.

Then got twatted every time we played in the rain.

• Site Supporter

Can't say anything negative about this season really. My lad has seen us totally embarrassed by a local rival, then the biggest ever victory at the Reebok - all in his first proper season watching BWFC - and he's fucking loved it. For me, that over-rides everything.

Edited by Cheese

Best season for years. Enjoyed away games more than I can remember and watched most of most of the games I went to. 
There have been some real lows along the way , Wigan at home, Fleetwood, Accrington and Burton stand out. But more than off set by the good days.

Real progress on the pitch and owners who get a lot more right than they get wrong.  
Be brilliant if we can make the obvious improvements we need in the defence and a midfield bastard. Our best 11 is not far off good enough and if we can build some depth with cover that does not weaken the team we can start thinking about a play off push, but there are 6 or 7 teams that could say the same, plus whoever comes down.

Anyone suggesting losing Santos would not be a major hit is crazy. Need remember how inexperience him and Dapo are at this level, they can and will improve 

41 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Terrible. Lost our top scorer, club captain, Sheehan and twatted with covid.

Then got twatted every time we played in the rain.

Looking at our season Wikipedia that period from losing at Sheff Weds early October until we beat Ipswich mid January was truly abysmal. Only beat Crewe and Doncaster in the league during that time. All the fallout with the players and amongst fans, some proper horrible away showings, then the covid postponements, we needed a massive January window and we got one.

That spell feels a lot longer ago than it actually was. 

CBA reading others comments. But standard of football is definitely better than the 2017 promotion season where beavers and Wheater looked like world beaters. 

That was my favorite season since the decline and I did a good few aways. 

Onwards and upwards! 

It's been a fun season & really enjoyable... last season was good & all but most of the teams in this league are ex prem so most games feel like massive matchdays. First game of the season even if it was against a fake club like MK set the tone off the bat with fans in for the time since the pandemic, great atmosphere & electric end to end football. Had a good start with Doyle, Sarce, Sheehan ect but obviously started going tits up & there was a period where I thought we might be in a relegation scrap as we seemed to be in most of the matches but concede at bad times to lose 1-0 which became a habit. Battering big clubs like Charlton 4-1 away, Ipswich 5-2 away... grounds where in the past we would dread them knowing we'd be getting beat just showed that on our day we can blow anybody out of the water if we turn up on our game then the 6-0 vs Sunderland. Brilliant Jan recruitment, our squad average age must be around 25/26 a lot of young fresh players with improvement is very good for us & our philosophy although we may just need a sprinkle of solid experience to help guide this crop to mount a serious promotion shot. Obviously not going to be easy to get out of this league with the amount of big clubs all expecting to be up there but it will be Evatt's third year at the club next season & I back him to have us up their with the right summer incomings as this league has shown it's hard playing catch up.

1 hour ago, Deanu said:

It's been a fun season & really enjoyable... last season was good & all but most of the teams in this league are ex prem so most games feel like massive matchdays. First game of the season even if it was against a fake club like MK set the tone off the bat with fans in for the time since the pandemic, great atmosphere & electric end to end football.

Had a good start with Doyle, Sarce, Sheehan ect but obviously started going tits up & there was a period where I thought we might be in a relegation scrap as we seemed to be in most of the matches but concede at bad times to lose 1-0 which became a habit. Battering big clubs like Charlton 4-1 away, Ipswich 5-2 away... grounds where in the past we would dread them knowing we'd be getting beat just showed that on our day we can blow anybody out of the water if we turn up on our game then the 6-0 vs Sunderland.

Brilliant Jan recruitment, our squad average age must be around 25/26 a lot of young fresh players with improvement is very good for us & our philosophy although we may just need a sprinkle of solid experience to help guide this crop to mount a serious promotion shot.

Obviously not going to be easy to get out of this league with the amount of big clubs all expecting to be up there but it will be Evatt's third year at the club next season & I back him to have us up their with the right summer incomings as this league has shown it's hard playing catch up.

we are all junkies. our preferred brown is pure white. we've missed this shit for a year, and we'll never be clean... 

i've said it before; if we were a musical/act we'd be the fucking blues brothers- cool as fuck, and just dust ourselves off. this season has been far from perfect. we have had a reality check; but we have our identity. we know we can compete. we know what to expect. we know that this squad, this mentality will keep going until he end. i dont want this season to end, i've loved it (league anyway); i've been entertained, frustrated, disappointed, but ultimately hopeful.

units are always going to stand out are lower levels- but for the most, teams are actually trying to play football. if we keep the philosophy, we will overcome the cloggers

i look forward to another year of establishment; some cracking piss ups, some memorable days

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Ha ha was just about to do the same 😂

@Deanu you right some good stuff but so many are not going to bother because of the no paragraphs - it makes it a difficult read.

5 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

we are all junkies. our preferred brown is pure white. we've missed this shit for a year, and we'll never be clean... 

i've said it before; if we were a musical/act we'd be the fucking blues brothers- cool as fuck, and just dust ourselves off. this season has been far from perfect. we have had a reality check; but we have our identity. we know we can compete. we know what to expect. we know that this squad, this mentality will keep going until he end. i dont want this season to end, i've loved it (league anyway); i've been entertained, frustrated, disappointed, but ultimately hopeful.

units are always going to stand out are lower levels- but for the most, teams are actually trying to play football. if we keep the philosophy, we will overcome the cloggers

i look forward to another year of establishment; some cracking piss ups, some memorable days

Good summary 👏

Enjoyed it a lot this season. Some good days out, plenty late goals and some thrilling football at times. The drama of the Sarcevic stuff seems like ages ago now. Good base to build on over the summer, hopefully add some quality and keep the quality we've got. COYWM.

• Site Supporter

This session has been one of my favourites in the 49 years I've watched them.  Largely due to retirement and covid scuppering holiday travel I've attended all except two away games this season,  easily the most I've attended in a single season. Many have involved overnighters which are always fun. 

Some great highs; Ipswich,  in particular,  and some svelte shit shows; Plymouth, Hartlepool and Stockport in particular.  But great days and nights out with equally great supporters. 

Cheers,  it's been a blast