Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

League 1 - What’s your verdict?

Burndens Bogs

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've loved the way we've played on the whole, since the Ipswich game.  But just to add a bit of realism and "we need to improve", I wonder if the fixtures have been a bit kind?  That sounds ridiculous when it includes half the season, but 11 of our wins have been against a lot of poor teams (6 home wins v Accy or below, 5 away wins at Cheltenham, Shrews and 3 dire relegated teams).  No denying our 3 superb wins v Ipswich, Sunderland and Oxford but they seem so long ago!  5 draws, v Morecambe twice, Wigan, Pompey and Sheff Wed, where we had to get late equalisers every time (that's fantastic but no "unlucky" draws, we were grateful for all 5 of those points).  Lost to Wycombe, Burton, MK Dons and Plymouth comfortably.  No disgrace in that, I'm just missing the feeling that we could take on a top 6 team next week and beat them over 2 legs.  IE will know that, he won't be fooled by the last 8 games when we weren't properly tested if we're honest.  Roll on the summer and next season, if we're even top 8 consistently it will be a season to remember. 

If we’re doing well then a lot of those draws turn in to wins by default. Remove the sticky patch post Plymouth (note they didn’t mention Sarcevic as a “contributor to the season”; for accuracy they also didn’t mention Doyle) and we’d have been up there.   

Look at the points achieved by top half teams….

83 plus to get in to the play offs against the bottom half (normally say 50 to stay up)

really competitive top half with most beating bottom half.

still 10 points is 4 wins, but we had a really bad spell didn’t we.

got to be better at home and turn a few of those 1-0 losses away into what should have been draws or wins.

55 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If we’re doing well then a lot of those draws turn in to wins by default. Remove the sticky patch post Plymouth (note they didn’t mention Sarcevic as a “contributor to the season”; for accuracy they also didn’t mention Doyle) and we’d have been up there.   

I think we did turn a lot of draws into wins.  Many times the other team equalised in the 2nd half and we then scored again, but weren't exactly dominant, the goals came as a bit of a surprise at the time (today, Accy, Lincoln, Charlton, Oxford, Doncaster).  A couple of last minute away wins when we didn't play well (Crewe, Shrews) and all 5 draws were games we turned a defeat into a draw.  Not once did we lose a game we could claim was unlucky since Sheff Wed away, not once did we lose or draw to a late goal conceded (that has to be a record?).  Overall our points tally probably flattered us.  That's a positive, we get the maximum out of every game and have a winning mentality, but its unlikely to be sustained for a whole season without improvements in the summer (defence mainly).

One thing for me is the togetherness off the field this season

facebook groups for tickets & travel helping folk out has been superb and that will only get stronger

going games and people introducing themselves and next you’re on the piss next away game

work is being done in all areas at this club👌

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

One thing for me is the togetherness off the field this season

facebook groups for tickets & travel helping folk out has been superb and that will only get stronger

going games and people introducing themselves and next you’re on the piss next away game

work is being done in all areas at this club👌

Good shout.

I don’t think I’ve met as many wwayers in a season.

Can’t wait for next season 👏

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, marple whites said:

Look at the points achieved by top half teams….

83 plus to get in to the play offs against the bottom half (normally say 50 to stay up)

really competitive top half with most beating bottom half.

still 10 points is 4 wins, but we had a really bad spell didn’t we.

got to be better at home and turn a few of those 1-0 losses away into what should have been draws or wins.

We only lost 4 at home all season. Fewer than Wigan and a number of teams above us.

We won 9 away and lost 11.

For a while in our shit spell, we couldn't buy a goal away.

Avoid such a spell next year, and maybe score first in a few more and we'll be up there or there abouts.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We only lost 4 at home all season. Fewer than Wigan and a number of teams above us.

We won 9 away and lost 11.

For a while in our shit spell, we couldn't buy a goal away.

Avoid such a spell next year, and maybe score first in a few more and we'll be up there or there abouts.

That's the key.  In 9 home games against the rest of the top 10, we went a goal down in 8 of them.  Its one thing conceding first away regularly, but at home so many times is freakish for a top half team. 

When we score first against a top team we tend to win 6-0!

15 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Just a 10% improvement next season would yield around 80pts.

i’d be happy with that, promotion or not.

We’re on the rise again.

We were about 8 goals off the pace so maybe if we can work on the set plays some more we'll be there.

Anyway, all academic now, summer is here.

No World Cup or Euros so I'll probably sign off until August

13 minutes ago, Zico said:

There will be BattleNips from June 1st to start of next season

Got to be checking in daily for the latest transfer news.

Who’s going to win the race for Andy Johnson, us or Everton

Have we signed Saviola yet

Surely this is the window we sign Sorin

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Finished averaging

14271 home

1654 away 

Would probably average 2k if there was more capacity at some of the tinpot grounds in league one.  Forest Green, Exeter and possibly Northampton coming up aren't going to help with that! 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Would probably average 2k if there was more capacity at some of the tinpot grounds in league one.  Forest Green, Exeter and possibly Northampton coming up aren't going to help with that! 

Yes we had a fair few sell outs too

i think when we won promotion from L1 last time it was around 1800

I just noticed that the top 10 in League One this year all got 20+ wins. 

had a look through the last 5 or 6 seasons and usually it’s the top 7 or 8 that manage that. 

Goes to show how competitive it’s been this year 

13 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I just noticed that the top 10 in League One this year all got 20+ wins. 

had a look through the last 5 or 6 seasons and usually it’s the top 7 or 8 that manage that. 

Goes to show how competitive it’s been this year 

Agreed the top half has been very competitive and it would be no disgrace for anyone down to Ipswich to have gone up via the play offs.  The flip side is that arguably one of the reasons the top 10 were winning most weeks was the poor standard of the bottom 10 or so.  Fleetwood only got 40 points and stopped up.