Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

25 Years since the last game at Burnden

Cheese

2 hours ago, Burnden Pies said:

It was really weird walking away from Burnden that day and thinking that this would be the last time I would ever do that, the best way to describe it was that it was a very hollow feeling. Also realising that I would never stand with the brilliant people / have the amazing craic in Mannny Road North ever again. Loved that place so much

Yep, sad knowing  it was our last game there! Wished we was still there, but, obviously time as to move on.

2 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’d say the Lever End toilets in the 70’s were by far the most disgusting toilets i’ve ever visited in my life.

Closely followed by the Embankment toilets.

The away toilets at the Dell for the 1992 cup game.  There was actually a shallow end in there by half time. 

My youngest was over due at the time, was convinced all game that there would be an announcement over the tannoy telling me to get to the hospital. Many happy memories of burnden and I still miss that atmosphere but it was the right time to go. May be we would still be there if we hadn’t gone then, imagine that it would look like goodison park( shithole)😁 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Glad I stood on the embankment for the final game. 
Completed all areas of the ground.

Done the same at the Reebok.

We debated doing that but in the end went for our usual spot on the BT and was glad we did 

Went from one end to the other without touching the ground when we scored

Wasn’t just the ground it was everything else meeting up with the lads in the trotters dashing out when word came in the away train had arrived the battles on Manchester road finishing the day in the griffin great days! 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Nice of Charlton to accept just the bus shelter.

I remember a good few of them staying behind to watch the after match finalities, as they realised they were watching history I guess.

Main memories of the day:

IRA bomb warnings closing motorways so I had to make a last minute switch to getting train up from Th'East Midlands. Some London Whites missed the whole thing and watched on tv in a boozer in Worksop as that was as far as they had managed to drive by KO.

Being one of the last dozen or so ever on the Paddock as I avoided the stewards until they corralled the last of us over by the Lever End exit.

Attempted to use an old disposable "point and shoot" camera to take a last picture of an empty Paddock; but thwarted by adrenaline, emotion and ale, after development it turned out I'd had the camera pointed in the wrong direction and just took a picture of my gut adorned in a Sherpa Van, Bolton v Torquay t-shirt from Wembley in '89 (a third of a century ago in 33 days time!). What a last chance lost. 😞

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

One of the most surreal moments at full time. It was such a weird feeling knowing we’d never play there again. 

As I got older I understood the memories people just have had there 

My mates dad took me and him to the Reebok when it was close to completion and I couldn’t get over the enormity of it. Think he worked for Otis Or Schlindler. The lift company not the Nazi funder. So we had a good look around it. 

It'll have been Otis he worked for as they installed all the lifts in the Stadium and later in the hotel. I worked as an engineer for Otis and - before I switched companies in 2002 - had two or three years of getting paid to watch our home games on standby at the Reebok to release any trapped passengers and keep the lifts running.

I Delayed joining the Marines (the marine band played that night) by 3 months so that I wouldn’t miss the last game. Ended up with a few souvenirs on the night and years later ended up with the main club badge sign that was at the side of the players entrance.

I like many was excited by the move to this new futuristic stadium however it wasn’t long before I realised it was a soulless bowl. 

Love telling my kids now how me and my cousin used to cycle down from Morris Green as kids on a regular basis and sneak onto the pitch (via the embankment) and have a kick about. 

A shit hole it was but it was our shit hole. 

Edited by royal white

Guest Nordkurve
10 hours ago, Horwich said:

Glad I stood on the embankment for the final game. 
Completed all areas of the ground.

Done the same at the Reebok.

Only area I didn't do was Manny Road seats. Had Season Tickets in Burnden Paddock, Burnden Seats and Manny Road North over the years.

• Members
8 hours ago, tkonion said:

It'll have been Otis he worked for as they installed all the lifts in the Stadium and later in the hotel. I worked as an engineer for Otis and - before I switched companies in 2002 - had two or three years of getting paid to watch our home games on standby at the Reebok to release any trapped passengers and keep the lifts running.

I went when the outer shell of the ground wasn’t there and you could see into the skeleton of the ground. I was very impressed.