Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

25 Years since the last game at Burnden

Cheese

44 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Bit of a head fuck isn’t it! Manny Road Stand should be on your left from that position 

You can just about making it out behind the temporary stand 

Sorry it was doing my head in, had to flip it!

C63F07F4-CE6C-4FFB-A285-F572CA3D8A4D.jpeg

Edited by Baba O'Riley
Typo

Just now, Burndens Bogs said:

Never realised how much leg room folk had in the Lever end when the seats went in.

I know the gap in front of the guy with the blue top on is a designated walkway, but even the row in front & the row behind has a ridiculous amount of legroom.

I think they were already extraordinarily wide steps to begin with, but then that was exaggerated when seats were only put on alternate steps. Never seen a ground before or since with the same type of church hall seats.  

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Really no idea how these pictures work.

Are we saying all the most famous photos in history are possibly wrong?

Fucks my head.

Many of Undies name the ground are similar which is what obscures the thinking - even though 2/3 of his photos are various angles of The Dell which he denies

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

I first went in 1968. This is before my time, but I do remember the asphalt terracing at the back of the Embackement before it was fully concreted.

78FB7895-EAD5-4B0B-9B2F-AE98EBC2290D.jpeg

You say asphalt, I recall it was more like a cinder filling 

Lever end when I started going was seated and was basically kids and flids. 

Embankment was away end. 

Burnden terrace was Where it was at as a young lad going most games with my older brother for the last 2 seasons 

Remember last match I didn't get a ticket in the terrace but in the burnden stand... Seated. Jumped down at the final whistle when everyone celebrated for 3 seconds before destroying the stand to take what they could! 🤣 🤣 🤣 

9 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

I first went in 1968. This is before my time, but I do remember the asphalt terracing at the back of the Embackement before it was fully concreted.

I thought they reduced the capacity of the Embankment by doing away with the cinder stepped section at the back, so all that remained was the pale area that you can see in the photo.

I think it was done in the early 70’s.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

8 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Bolton v Leeds. Opening game of the 1958-9 season. That defender is Jackie Charlton.

What a tremendous portrayal of the power of Nat Lofthouse in full flow.

Bolton 4 Leeds 0 😊

5 hours ago, embankment said:

My natural habitat

Screenshot_20211227-083011_Twitter.jpg

Mine too great memories of watching score board as well at half time as the bloke put the scores in and checking on your programme what teams were A, B, C etc as he slowly slotted the numbers in and seeing his head looking through watching the match

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

Mine too great memories of watching score board as well at half time as the bloke put the scores in and checking on your programme what teams were A, B, C etc as he slowly slotted the numbers in and seeing his head looking through watching the match

Don't know it it was done in the early days, but they used to put big scores up against utd for a joke.

8 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It was consolidated coal dust between irregular railway sleepers. I don't see that passing elf'n'safety any time soon these days.

You’d be surprised. The terrace at Heywood Road, Sale where Swinton Lions play is exactly like that even now. 

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You’d be surprised. The terrace at Heywood Road, Sale where Swinton Lions play is exactly like that even now. 

Well, yes, I am surprised. I guess, maybe, the difference between new build & old. It worked fine for approx. 75 years at Burnden.

21 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Looking at that you can understand how they packed all those folk in for that record crowd. Can’t even imagine those packed terraces without safety barriers. When my dad first started going in the ‘30’s he would pay in the Lever End and there was always a fella stood next to that wall separating the Lever End and Burnden Paddock who gave the kids a lift over into the more expensive paddock. 

18 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

That alamy photo is how I remember Burnden when I first started going. Was it about 76/77 when they reduced the embankment capacity by building that walkway at the back for the away fans to get into their pen on the Burnden side of the embankment?

• 2 months later...

Saw this on FB but don't know how to link through there so sharing it via my twitter. Not sure if I've seen this one before.

Used to stand on that very corner totally overawed by the hordes of people streaming down the street when I first started going.