Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dapo Afolayan

Traf

5 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Let’s not get carried away santos isn’t championship level 

Beg to differ 

I'm not saying he's the next Tony Adams but I think he could hold his own in the championship 

1 minute ago, 1969 said:

Beg to differ 

I'm not saying he's the next Tony Adams but I think he could hold his own in the championship 

100% he'd be miles better than some of the dross in the bottom half

3 minutes ago, 1969 said:

Beg to differ 

Read a stat that the championship is the highest scoring league for set pieces he offers nothing in the attacking department, you see plenty of CB scoring

He’s steady in this league but has been vulnerable at times big step up imo 

2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Am I the only one that thinks we've been better defensively without Santos in the side?

We haven't had to face the strongest opposition without him and we've still conceded in each one

Just now, radcliffe white said:

Read a stat that the championship is the highest scoring league for set pieces he offers nothing in the attacking department, you see plenty of CB scoring

He's imperious in our own box, always seems to get his head to it but that is his biggest flaw currently that he hasn't scored. Considering his stature he should be getting 3 or 4 at least.

10 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Agree about his attacking,but he's a defender first and foremost and at that I think he's pretty descent 

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I watched PNE v Blackburn midweek - Bauer at Preston is gash. Santos would get in 2/3 of championship teams

1v1 in League One I’ve not seen anyone better than Santos, he’s too quick and strong. Can’t be pushed off the ball and can’t be beaten in a foot race.

His distribution is overall very good and is improving.

He would be very hard to replace. I think our style of play suits him though as we have to do a lot of 1v1 defending because we’re quite expansive. In another system he may be more vulnerable.

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Sounds like I’m in a minority. I think we can comfortably improve on Santos. Just not dominating enough considering his size and makes far too many mistakes. 

He occasionally does a dodgy dribble or pass but can't remember the last time he made a mistake that lead to a goal

• Members
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think having Jones back has made a difference. Helps with either Santos or Aimson.

We're also playing pretty well all over, which helps.

Integral. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Sounds like I’m in a minority. I think we can comfortably improve on Santos. Just not dominating enough considering his size and makes far too many mistakes. 

He plays in a way that Evatt wants. He's not a world beater so will make some. He passes the ball really well which is part of our style.

Aimson is a steady, solid defender, but isn't going to spray cross field passes about the same. 

Room for both types for me.

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’d argue he’s the most imperious defender in league one. Very rarely loses one vs ones and is physical beast.

He’d be a big miss next season if he goes. 2/3 million as a minimum for him I’d say.  

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Dapo certainly

4 wins and a draw in the last 5 without santos suggests we haven’t missed him so much 

4 of those have been against sides below us though.

IMO he’s a top end L1 player who could perform well in Championship. 

He’s our best defender, he’s quick, he’s brilliant in 1 on 1 situations, he’s a great ball player, he’s composed and he’s our captain and got developing leadership qualities - he’d be very difficult to replace If we lost him next season.

I hope he stays, signs a new contract and commits himself to be part off this exiting future   

• Members
7 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Let’s not get carried away santos isn’t championship level 

So we’re 10 points off 6th , which could have got us into the championship but our main defender and captain  isn’t good enough for that league?