Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

PlayOffs 2022

Mantra

5 hours ago, little whitt said:

This 

one less to worry about 

HMS PISS THE LEAGUE 

So we lost Wigan, Rotherham, Sunderland.

Replaced by Peterborough, Barnsley, Derby.

On ability and size of club, its virtually like for like.

I cant see any of them being outside the top 6, its just down to us improving really.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I cant see any of them being outside the top 6, its just down to us improving really.

The one thing I like about Evatt and whiskey face had it down to a fine art down the road, we tend to do quite well against the teams we ought to be beating - probably better than most of the other top teams.

We don’t need to improve by much to take points of the top teams and we’ll be fine.

I honestly think we’ll see even more from our January signings with a full pre season behind them.

2 old fashioned, no nonsense players (centre half and midfield), Fossey and Trafford (or similar) and I’m happy with what we have

We were losing against the top teams until January. Then we started drawing with them, MK & Plymouth (still don't know how we didn't at least draw that one) aside. So we did progress but need to be beating them regularly if we want promotion.

• Site Supporter

I’d take someone who fits the “old fashioned” title but he’d need to remember football is no longer the contact sport it used to be so blood and guts tough-tackling CD or DM would more than likely see us finishing games with ten men.

There’s no place for out and out hard bastards these days.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I’d take someone who fits the “old fashioned” title but he’d need to remember football is no longer the contact sport it used to be so blood and guts tough-tackling CD or DM would more than likely see us finishing games with ten men.

There’s no place for out and out hard bastards these days.

That’s what I’m getting at. Cory Evans was the best player on the pitch yesterday, didn’t give Vokes a sniff. I rate Stewart who Wycombe had too.

There are players out there who wouldn’t wilt under bombardment like we got at Stockport/Burton etc.

Not saying I’d want them starting every game either but we need them in our arsenal to get out of this league imo

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Derby will be dependant on getting the transfer embargo lifted or they could be screwed. 
Barnsley seem to have off field issues and Peterborough are nothing special imo.

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

That’s what I’m getting at. Cory Evans was the best player on the pitch yesterday, didn’t give Vokes a sniff. I rate Stewart who Wycombe had too.

There are players out there who wouldn’t wilt under bombardment like we got at Stockport/Burton etc.

Not saying I’d want them starting every game either but we need them in our arsenal to get out of this league imo

We need a team that can 'do it on a wet Tuesday at Fleetwood' and this is something the current squad have not done on a regular basis. 
The old fashioned type is not saying sign Vinny Jones or Terry Hurlock but more like a Karl Henry, an experienced head (or heads). 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Derby will be dependant on getting the transfer embargo lifted or they could be screwed. 
Barnsley seem to have off field issues and Peterborough are nothing special imo.

Exactly this.

Peterborough, for a while, were like a lower level Brentford. Buying & selling consistently wisely. Wheels have come off a little. Plus the interfering hand ( & mouth)of Darragh MacAnthony.

2 hours ago, Ani said:

For how long were we subject to an embargo? As I recall it was a couple of years after we went into admin?

With all the negative press about how Derby escaped a points deduction a couple of years ago, I can’t see them being let off “early” form any standard transfer embargo. I’d be surprised if they are free to sign players next season unless on a free and subject to a salary cap etc (like us).

BTW, I’m just quoting you - rather than expecting you to know the answer off the top of your head!

Edited by Jol_BWFC

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Agreed.  Its not about being rock hard and flying into tackles (Spearing etc), just being physically stronger, like Santos maybe.  Wycombe aren't good technically but are physically strong all over the pitch, it didn't work for them yesterday but if they'd gone a goal up you could see them hanging on like they did v MK Dons.  Hutchinson a decent eg of an old fashioned CB, but he wasn't booting the ball 40 yards or committing fouls against us, he just looked stronger and more commanding than for eg Aimson or Johnstone.  Horses for courses as you say.

2 hours ago, Ani said:

I just expect that when the plates stop spinning at Derby and they get a squad together, they'll be competitive, let's see.

Barnsley...just that one of them clubs like Rotherham that always seem to be either bottom 8 Champ or top 8 Lge 1!

If Peterborough hang onto Szmodics, Clark Harris and Jack Marriot I'd expect them to score plenty in this league, that's a quality attack.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Some folk will have already written off our new signings before theyve happened. Experts 

to be honest, I think this may be the first season in a long time where that might not actually be the case

reckon 99% are all in on the IE way of doing things

but yeah, there's sitll that 1%

33 minutes ago, Zico said:

to be honest, I think this may be the first season in a long time where that might not actually be the case

reckon 99% are all in on the IE way of doing things

but yeah, there's sitll that 1%

Agreed. For example I had never heard of iredale before we signed him. And unlike others I don’t feel the need to go on wiki and the regurgitate on here like I’m a football scout in the making and had heard of him when clearly they hadn’t  

but I trust that he’s a bloody good player because we wouldn’t of signed him.
Thing for me is we have a proper footballing  identity now and whilst it has its flaws (see fleetwood on a rainy Tuesday) it’s great to be able to believe in a manager again.

Edited by Escobarp

2 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

For how long were we subject to an embargo? As I recall it was a couple of years after we went into admin?

With all the negative press about how Derby escaped a points deduction a couple of years ago, I can’t see them being let off “early” form any standard transfer embargo. I’d be surprised if they are free to sign players next season unless on a free and subject to a salary cap etc (like us).

We were embargoed so long coz we didn't clear a specific debt ... not because we'd HAD that debt. That's why Wiggin came out soending wildly last summer.

Derby are a bit more like us in that respect. The purchase hasn't yet happened, they've missed several deadlines. The purchaser is reluctant to cover all debts ... including the minimum 15p in the £ to non-football debtors. He plans to 'negotiate' payments with the Inland Revenue (!!). He won't own the ground & could yet have to play outside Derby. Then there's the continuing story that the sponsors, not the club, paid Rooney this season. Oh, & Wycombe"s claim against them is still not settled ... &, after yesterday, that'll be all the more aggravated.

They're already under constraints on what they can spend on new players.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I just expect that when the plates stop spinning at Derby and they get a squad together, they'll be competitive, let's see.

Barnsley...just that one of them clubs like Rotherham that always seem to be either bottom 8 Champ or top 8 Lge 1!

If Peterborough hang onto Szmodics, Clark Harris and Jack Marriot I'd expect them to score plenty in this league, that's a quality attack.

The other man’s grass is always greener…

1 hour ago, Morizio said:

The other man’s grass is always greener…

To be clear, I'm not saying any will be above us.  Just that whether we're in Lge 1 or not, they are 3 teams I'd expect to see competing with Ipswich, Pompey, Sheff Wed, MK Dons, Plymouth,  Oxford, Wycombe, Charlton.

So that's the top half sorted, pity I don't know the order!  

Edited by Johnnyrotten
error

10 hours ago, Ani said:

Completely agree with this and don’t see any of them being serious challengers to the top six next season. Derby possibly but there’s a lot of work to do there as well as holding on to their better players. Last year Rotherham kept mostly the same side and management and Wigan for me made excellent signings. Next season if we get the right few players in and Marlon and Trafford back, we should be one of the ones to beat.