Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

PlayOffs 2022

Mantra

Notts County v Grimsby in National League play off on BT Sport, very big crowd.  Winners go to Wrexham in semi final.

It must be odd getting in the play offs like Grimsby and Chesterfield and knowing you have to win 3 games to go up, and none are at home, will be amazing if either of them manage it.

Adam Chicksen starts for Notts, he still looks decent.

Giles Coke on Grimsby's bench, he's often overlooked in worst ever player discussions, but has a strong case.

3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Seem like such a slog these NL play offs. Surely about time there were 2 automatic slots into L2 but I'm sure EFL clubs wouldn't be voting for that anytime soon.

Cant work it out at all :D

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Giles Coke on Grimsby's bench, he's often overlooked in worst ever player discussions, but has a strong case.

Yaya, Yaya, Yaya, Yaya, Yaya, Yaya, Yaya Touré

Cola, Cola, Cola, Cola, Cola, Cola, Cola Touré

58 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I had to look him up. Mo memory of him. Seems to have had a decent 3rd, 4th & 5th division career.

I was scarred by his debut at Blackburn, truly awful, but I can't remember his other 3 games.  His league career seemed to be going well till he was about 28, then he had 5 years where he played a total of 20 games and ended up at Grimsby when they were relegated.  Club captain at Grimsby so he must have something about him.

10 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Seem like such a slog these NL play offs. Surely about time there were 2 automatic slots into L2 but I'm sure EFL clubs wouldn't be voting for that anytime soon.

It’s the same one step lower. York promoted to the NL finishing in 5th, a mere 21 points behind the team finishing 2nd.  

10 minutes ago, bolton in bedford said:

It’s the same one step lower. York promoted to the NL finishing in 5th, a mere 21 points behind the team finishing 2nd.  

Think we finished 17 points in front of the tramps the season we lost to them in play off final but my memory could be playing tricks on me . 

4 minutes ago, emus wig said:

Think we finished 17 points in front of the tramps the season we lost to them in play off final but my memory could be playing tricks on me . 

It was 5, but it still grates me to this day. The year before we were about 17 behind Notts County, but lost in the semi.

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was scarred by his debut at Blackburn, truly awful, but I can't remember his other 3 games.  His league career seemed to be going well till he was about 28, then he had 5 years where he played a total of 20 games and ended up at Grimsby when they were relegated.  Club captain at Grimsby so he must have something about him.

To be fair, that whole Freedman / Lennon period is mostly a blur for me.

I have very little recollection of it.

3 hours ago, bolton in bedford said:

It was 5, but it still grates me to this day. The year before we were about 17 behind Notts County, but lost in the semi.

That’ll be the seventeen I remembered don’t know why though . 

5 hours ago, bolton in bedford said:

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that.  Pleased for them, another relatively big ex-league club that should never have been as low as the 6th tier, they've been  lower than National League for 5 years and moved grounds since.  Another club that will be looking to compete in National League along with Oldham and Scunthorpe.

4 hours ago, waffer cup 07 said:

For me the end of season has been a absolute mess. Our last game was on the 30th April were now 24th May and the season's still not finished, an absolute joke.

Agreed, hard to follow it at times.  Obviously Sky, and to a lesser extent BT, want a game or 2 every single day of the week in most of May.  BT all the NL play offs on separate days now, no coincidence they only started after the Prem finished (final is 6th June!).

Next year just slightly better, the 3 EFL Divs at least finish same weekend (6th May) but then 3 weeks of Prem finishing, alongside play offs.  Presume the late finish is down to the World Cup break so its understandable (unlike the farce of when/where the WC is).

10 hours ago, bolton in bedford said:

think its in italy where if you finish 10 points clear of the next team then the playoffs / playouts get fucked off and you just go up automatically (or advance to the next round automatically) or whatever. 

queens park and edinburgh city went up this season finishing about 30 odd points behind the auto places. makes it looked fixed.

Edited by e2e4
typo