Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

PlayOffs 2022

Mantra

58 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I wouldn’t mind Mansfield, don’t think I’ve been since Seagraves equaliser nigh on 30 years ago.

Both better than Swindon though so easy with either

It was always one of my favourite away grounds from about mid 80s to the Seagraves day (the day the Grand National was abandoned).  I don't think we've played there since, with fans, and its a shame the ground no longer has that great terrace behind the goal, considering they've never been in a division that demands all seater (same as Gigg Lane in that respect).

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It was always one of my favourite away grounds from about mid 80s to the Seagraves day (the day the Grand National was abandoned).  I don't think we've played there since, with fans, and its a shame the ground no longer has that great terrace behind the goal, considering they've never been in a division that demands all seater (same as Gigg Lane in that respect).

Didn't think we had but couldn't be sure there wasn't a minor competition game.

Wouldn't surprise me if Baptiste pitches up there for his swan song

Mansfield for me, not just for the only round the corner and new ground aspect but so much hype would be put onto "it's Port Vale away!" that it would never live up to last time, especially not if it's a winter midweek.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Mansfield for me, not just for the only round the corner and new ground aspect but so much hype would be put onto "it's Port Vale away!" that it would never live up to last time, especially not if it's a winter midweek.

Port Vale is actually a bit shit apart from the away end. Pubs in Burslem are crap if you can get in them and the odd one near Stoke station need a bus/taxi in.

Not saying Mansfield is any better but the night out in Nottingham before everyone piles back to your gaff will make it worth while.

Some of your photos of proper Notts boozers has piqued my interest

29 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Port Vale away will be first game of season or boxing day.

I asked santa at lapland on xmas day and he said its on.

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Port Vale away will be first game of season or boxing day.

I asked santa at lapland on xmas day and he said its on.

Sit on an old man's lap he'll tell you anything you want to hear 😃 Santa told me first away game would be FGR...

14 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Some of your photos of proper Notts boozers has piqued my interest

It's a great night out, some of the back street type pubs are brilliant.

And the Spoons by the canal has shut down so people are going to have to look elsewhere!

47 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Sit on an old man's lap he'll tell you anything you want to hear 😃 Santa told me first away game would be FGR...

It's a great night out, some of the back street type pubs are brilliant.

And the Spoons by the canal has shut down so people are going to have to look elsewhere!

Designated guide remember the one with tower like steps? 

3 hours ago, Marc505 said:

That's true, it would be hyped up, but without a true local derby, maybe that's what the fixture list needs, one we all look to.  That reminded me the other version of Port Vale in my time was the famous Wrexham day, and if I'm not mistaken we've never played there since?  Imagine the reminiscing when we finally go back.  We went a few times in the 80s in league and cup but none since.  

2 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Whats the craic with these National League Play Offs.

Can only see one fixture for the semi finals between Wrexham and Grimsby and it's at Wrexham's home ground. Is there no second leg?

Possibly weighted in favour of higher placed team? There is a strong argument it's fairer. 

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

Whats the craic with these National League Play Offs.

Can only see one fixture for the semi finals between Wrexham and Grimsby and it's at Wrexham's home ground. Is there no second leg?

Nah home advantage goes to the higher placed team in the quarters and semis. I think even lower down the pyramid the final is played at the higher placed teams ground as well.

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's true, it would be hyped up, but without a true local derby, maybe that's what the fixture list needs, one we all look to.  That reminded me the other version of Port Vale in my time was the famous Wrexham day, and if I'm not mistaken we've never played there since?  Imagine the reminiscing when we finally go back.  We went a few times in the 80s in league and cup but none since.  

Prospect of Fleetwood and Accrington on wet winter Saturdays not floating your boat, no? 😀

41 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Nah home advantage goes to the higher placed team in the quarters and semis. I think even lower down the pyramid the final is played at the higher placed teams ground as well.

Prospect of Fleetwood and Accrington on wet winter Saturdays not floating your boat, no? 😀

Ha ha!  I'd rather we were playing Fleetwood or Accy than Cheltenham or FGR but there's no rivalry, and they have none league grounds & support.  Looking forward to playing some of our traditional rivals the year after this hopefully.